Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

I don't feel bad for Chris Davis in the least bit. It isn't his fault that he was offered that contract, but it is his fault that he isn't earning his guaranteed money. I'm stressed about my $3,000 tax bill (thank you GOP tax scam) whereas the next 3 generations of Davis' family never has to worry about money. Maybe if he pays my tax bill I will start feeling bad for him lol

On 4/10/2019 at 9:42 AM, esmd said:

Btw, here's the article I referred to.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/09/24/chris-davis-baltimore-orioles

And here's what really jumped out at me.  The guy is clearly really struggling, and I don't mean on the field.  It's why I won't boo him, or get personal in critiquing his on-field performance.

"Finally, in late August, things came to a head. Ella watched Peppa Pig and his eight-month-old twins slept. Chris slumped at the kitchen table, pleading with Jill, a registered nurse who left her job to support him, to diagnose whatever moral disease had brought him here. "Am I blind to something that I'm habitually doing?" he asked. “Do you see anything in me that needs to be brought to light?"

"You're right where God needs you to be," she assured him.

“I just don’t understand,” he said, his words muffled through his hands. “How can I go out there every day and just not succeed? It’s baffling to me.”

“Your words carry a lot of weight,” Jill said finally. “In the clubhouse, in the community, in the city of Baltimore, your words carry a lot of weight. But your testimony speaks so much louder when you struggle.”

Chris threw his head back. “Tears just started coming down my face,” he says. Eventually he wiped them off and went to bed.

“One of the biggest misconceptions of the gospel, in my mind, is that you have to be perfect,” he says now. “That is the complete opposite of the truth. Christ paid for our sins on the cross knowing that we would never be able to measure up.”

Christianity is a game of failure, too, he says. The idea is to fall short, then wake up the next day and try again."

I think he needs to understand there's more to life than baseball. He can walk away and live better than 99.99 % of his fellow man. Quite frankly, he's doing this to himself, it's hitting a baseball, it's not like he's failing at anything important in life. He should know this being a Religious man. Don't kid yourself, it's all about the money. He's conflicted IMHO.

12 minutes ago, Bdog0221 said:

I think he needs to understand there's more to life than baseball. He can walk away and live better than 99.99 % of his fellow man. Quite frankly, he's doing this to himself, it's hitting a baseball, it's not like he's failing at anything important in life. He should know this being a Religious man. Don't kid yourself, it's all about the money. He's conflicted IMHO.

I think if it were me I would just say my back hurts.  Be put on IL for 10 days and then go on rehab assignment to Sarasota for the next 30 days.  

12 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I doubt there's one person on this board who would walk away from 80 M. It's not his fault PA was an idiot. The O's should own their stupidity and release him.

I think Can of Corn said he would. But I think that is just talk. If they want to pay me $80 million to hit like a pitcher I am more than willing to do it. 

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Statcast data suggests he should be doing no worse than any other of a number of struggling players.

Look I am not defending Davis, his salary or what a mess this whole situation is, but what I will say is that on top of being bad, he has also been unlucky.

He might have been a bit unlucky on batted balls, but when you’re only putting the ball in play in 48% of your at bats, that’s not luck.   Let’s say he should have a .300 BABIP — that would still only be a .144 BA.    That would put him in the bottom 10% of all batters with at least 20 PA this season.   And honestly, it’s not like he’s been the victim of great defense.   He tends to hit the ball to predictable spots and all the outs I’ve seen have been routine.    

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

I doubt there's one person on this board who would walk away from 80 M. It's not his fault PA was an idiot. The O's should own their stupidity and release him.

I'm not saying I would walk a way either but he could absolutely negotiate a deal to make it more palatable for both sides. Look, we've seen athletes leave in their prime (Barry Sanders), it's essentially the same thing. He left a ton on the table.. I realize there's a big difference between say 40 million and 80 million in terms of real dollars. However, in terms of lifestyle, not much difference, still stinking rich and generational money to hand down to the kids/grandkids. Don't tell me that leach Boras isn't chirping in his ear to play it out. In the end it was a horrible contract by the Orioles and I don't blame Davis at all, I would have signed it.

Edited by Bdog0221
spelling

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Davis just hit a laser to CF that was caught.

• 105mph exit velocity
  • 18 degree launch angle
  • .650 expected BA

I mean come ON. 

Agree, if that ball was maybe six feet more in the direction of RF he has a double.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Where was the CF playing him?

Had him played perfectly - Laureano went back three steps and made the over the shoulder, little hop catch.  Nothing spectacular but well stung ball.

Note:  video is up on mlb.com

Edited by bobmc

Just now, bobmc said:

Had him played perfectly - Laureano went back three steps and made the over the shoulder, little hop catch.  Nothing spectacular but well stung ball.

See, that’s one of Davis’ problems— he hits the ball in predictable spots, so defenders are stationed where he hits the ball.    You can say he had a .650 expected BA with that exit velocity and launch angle, but that’s not really true because with Davis the direction of the batted balls isn’t at all random.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

See, that’s one of Davis’ problems— he hits the ball in predictable spots, so defenders are stationed where he hits the ball.    You can say he had a .650 expected BA with that exit velocity and launch angle, but that’s not really true because with Davis the direction of the batted balls isn’t at all random.   

As noted above - video is available now on MLB.com