Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Chris Davis gets a hit, shots on the house!

Bartenders Pub in Baltimore is offering free Dr. Pepper shooters to patrons every time the embattled Orioles first baseman gets a hit. Owners Danny and Dana Coker described the drink to the Baltimore Sun as a mix of Miller High Life and amaretto. There’s no Dr. Pepper involved. It apparently just tastes like popular soda. 

“Baseball season for us is big business,” Dana told the Sun. “With the team not doing so well, it’s affected our business. We just can’t seem to do any specials that encourage people to come to the bar and watch baseball with us.”

“We’re just trying to give people a reason to come out and watch the games again,” Danny said.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/baltimore-bar-offering-free-shots-every-chris-davis-hit-023813487.html

If the Orioles didn't give themselves an out based on the (then) unlikely event of historically horrific performance, then they only have themselves to blame.   As for Davis, I say play him every day.  He either rights the ship and becomes at least marginally useful or we get to see if he can break the MLB single season low BA of .139.  The first might give some hope that not all is lost (though I think it is) while the latter would make for morbid entertainment.

5 minutes ago, AndresMora said:

If the Orioles didn't give themselves an out based on the (then) unlikely event of historically horrific performance, then they only have themselves to blame.   As for Davis, I say play him every day.  He either rights the ship and becomes at least marginally useful or we get to see if he can break the MLB single season low BA of .139.  The first might give some hope that not all is lost (though I think it is) while the latter would make for morbid entertainment.

What type of out are you suggesting?

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

A well written and though out piece. Davis' case is certainly something for the record books. He's probably the last of the stupid long term "power hitter contracts" that were given out by baseball before analytics really were brought into the equation. Of course the Orioles would be the last one to give one out and now the organization could be affected by it for years.

For what it's worth (not much, because it was still a bad contract at the time of signing) Davis is one of the better TTO players that have played, and the analytics would certainly not have predicted that he would punch in the worst season ever out of over 80,000 player-seasons. Even if he signed a more team-friendly deal (say, 5/100, probably would have been seen as a decent deal at the time given that he hit very well in 2015) he'd still be in the conversation for worst signing ever in the FA era.

• Upvote 1

Gee which Chris Davis thread to post this in?  Choices, choices....

As the tread title suggests, Chris Davis is on schedule to turn in a historically bad season.  That speaks to my main point, so let's put it here. 

Do the Orioles have any recourse, or are they on the hook for the rest of the contract no matter what?  Just about everybody including myself have assumed that they are, but I took a quick look at the Uniform Players Contract and now I'm not as sure as I once was and you shouldn't be either IMO.

On the subject of termination by either the player or club.  I have left out the section on player initiated termination as irrelevant and bolded the section that is of most interest to me...

(Termination)...

By Club
7.(b) The Club may terminate this contract upon written notice to the
Player (but only after requesting and obtaining waivers of this contract
from all other Major League Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:
(1) fail, refuse or neglect to conform his personal conduct to the
standards of good citizenship and good sportsmanship or to keep
himself in first-class physical condition or to obey the Club’s train-
ing rules; or
(2) fail, in the opinion of the Club’s management, to exhibit suf-
ficient skill or competitive ability to qualify or continue as a mem-
ber of the Club’s team; or
(3) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in
any other manner materially breach this contract.
7.(c) If this contract is terminated by the Club, the Player shall be enti-
tled to termination pay under the circumstances and in the amounts set
forth in Article IX of the Basic Agreement. In addition, the Player shall
be entitled to receive an amount equal to the reasonable traveling
expenses of the Player, including first-class jet air fare and meals en
route, to his home city.

OK.  First of all, nobody knows what the MLBPA will or won't do should the Orioles decide to put this to the test, so let's not pretend like we do.  My point is that the worst offensive season in modern day baseball history calculated by a commonly accepted metric should be acceptable as strong evidence that a player no longer "exhibits sufficient skill or competitive ability..."  At least to the degree that enables a buyout to be a reasonable and non-threating basis for negotiation.