Manny signs with Padres

weams

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, incubus said:

The question is now, so we really think Manny ever takes $300m from the Padres?

my money is on no, I’d say he opts out after 5 years unless he hurts himself and the contract is an albatross

Who knows?   For one thing, we don’t know how the payments are structured.    If the deal is a bit backloaded, which is typical, it’s more costly to opt out.    For another thing, how good are the Padres in five years?   Third, let’s say Miami has completed its rebuild by then and makes it clear they have money to spend.   Would Manny want to come home?   Many variables here.   

So...Padres trade ideas.  Hudson Potts is freshly blocked.

Orioles pitchers as far down as perhaps even Cashner represent 2019 upgrades while they wait on Perdomo and Richards to heal, and acclimate Paddack/Baez/Gore.  Certainly tonight Padres fans can be given some latitude to dream on Gore coming so fast he's an option for 2019's wildcard game (Dodgers are probably safe over the 162-game haul one more year).

They could pay us fairly for Givens and Bundy from their other stuff.  Don't waste Manny's 1st year like the Lakers are with LeBron!  And Francisco Mejia can DH some over here.

Adrian Morejon and Luis Patino are back of Top 10 A-ball pitchers whose timelines hew closer to Orioles return to relevance.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

NYC has a big state tax as well but doesn't stop anyone from playing for the Yankees. I dont think the price of gas is noticable at that income.  He could always buy himself a Tesla or two as California has huge tax breaks on them.

I meant to say it's all relative... when your take-home every Friday is roughly $432,692.31... :disco:

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It only takes one team to freak out and give out the money. Manny is a great player, but signing him for 10yr, $300 is a huge risk. The Padres have been irrelevant since probably the Tony Gwynn years so perhaps this will help them become relevant once again. with a good farm system, maybe Manny is the piece that puts them over. 

If you're going to take that insane 10 year risk, Manny is as good a bet as any. Young FA at 26, has been healthy since the knees were fixed, superior talent on both O and D. I could see him settling in there, Padres becoming like a force for years to come and it working out for both player and team.

Then again it could be AROD - Part Deux...

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

California taxes, compared to Illinois,  are going to eat away a portion of that $50M.  We have no idea whether/not Chicago also offered an opt-out, but they would have been fools not to do so.

Chicago had the in-laws...

Seems like more incentive for SD to me....

15 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

So...Padres trade ideas.  Hudson Potts is freshly blocked.

Orioles pitchers as far down as perhaps even Cashner represent 2019 upgrades while they wait on Perdomo and Richards to heal, and acclimate Paddack/Baez/Gore.  Certainly tonight Padres fans can be given some latitude to dream on Gore coming so fast he's an option for 2019's wildcard game (Dodgers are probably safe over the 162-game haul one more year).

I think the Padres might be gun shy about trading for Cashner again. The last time they did, it cost them Anthony Rizzo.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

12 percent, so that would be 3.6 million annual or 300,000 per month.  Down to scraping by on about 1.2 million EVERY month...lol.  

This was brought up on Twitter and MLB pitcher Eric O'Flaherty brought up the fact that Machado (and all MLB players) aren't paying the going rate for state tax for the whole season, since they earn their money in other states (and countries, when playing in Toronto.) So...More taxes (or less?)

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

This was brought up on Twitter and MLB pitcher Eric O'Flaherty brought up the fact that Machado (and all MLB players) aren't paying the going rate for state tax for the whole season, since they earn their money in other states (and countries, when playing in Toronto.) So...More taxes (or less?)

I'm guessing compared to CA the aggregate would be less.

6 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yeah but many of his away games will be in CA, far more than had he gone to the White Sox. The real question is why Chicago didn’t offer 10/300 If they were fine with 8/250 plus options. 

1 minute ago, MikeAD said:

Yeah but many of his away games will be in CA, far more than had he gone to the White Sox. The real question is why Chicago didn’t offer 100 300 If they were fine with 8/250 plus options. 

Didn't want to be "that team" that offered 10 guaranteed? But juiced up the incentives to exceed it?

54 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Yeah but many of his away games will be in CA, far more than had he gone to the White Sox. The real question is why Chicago didn’t offer 10/300 If they were fine with 8/250 plus options. 

I am not sure when 50 million dollars became insignificant.

Archived