Manny signs with Padres

weams

Does anyone else get the feeling out of Chicago that the Whitesox GM is going to loose his job? Ownership really wanted Machado and was willing to spend money that they have never been willing to before. I just feel like ownership  might hold the gm accountable for failure to sign the guy they coveted.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When it's spread over 10+ years (probably includes deferred payments) in an organization that currently brings in $250M in revenues annually and is valued at $1.2B.  Less than $5M a year is what you pay for your 4th outfielder or your 7th inning guy.

But you need those guys.  At a certain number you have to walk away.  The only team that didn't is the team that thought Hosmer was worth 21 million a year . 

12 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Does anyone else get the feeling out of Chicago that the Whitesox GM is going to loose his job? Ownership really wanted Machado and was willing to spend money that they have never been willing to before. I just feel like ownership  might hold the gm accountable for failure to sign the guy they coveted.

Honestly, I don't know how he's kept it as long as he has.  A team in a market like Chicago, with the resources they have, in the division they play in, to be bottom feeders....really it's just inexcusable.

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

But you need those guys.  At a certain number you have to walk away.  The only team that didn't is the team that thought Hosmer was worth 21 million a year . 

Sure.  Just like every single contract for every free agent ever. The team that signed the contract decided the player was worth more than all the other teams did.  That's how it works. 

Just because they made that decision doesn't make them stupid.  If so, then every transaction the Orioles* ever made could be qualified with "yea, but that's the team that traded for Glenn Davis.  And signed Chris Davis.  And Yovani Gallardo.  And Andrew Cashner.  So we're just going to laugh at everything they do from now on."

* and pretty much every franchise in sports, since all of them have made some poor decisions.

17 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

How do you fire a GM for not signing a player to more money than he was allowed to offer?  I assume he's not a White Sox because it would have taken more than 10/300 and they weren't willing to go that high, and I doubt Williams was the source of the max value.  My impression is that's usually ownership's call.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Sure.  Just like every single contract for every free agent ever. The team that signed the contract decided the player was worth more than all the other teams did.  That's how it works. 

Just because they made that decision doesn't make them stupid.  If so, then every transaction the Orioles* ever made could be qualified with "yea, but that's the team that traded for Glenn Davis.  And signed Chris Davis.  And Yovani Gallardo.  And Andrew Cashner.  So we're just going to laugh at everything they do from now on."

* and pretty much every franchise in sports, since all of them have made some poor decisions.

The people that made those decisions for the Orioles are gone.  Paying $50 million more than that next highest bidder is not a wise move.  1/2 the Padres payroll goes to two players.  They won 66 games last season.  The Padres are at their highest payroll ever and are a bad team.   In 4 years they will start having guys hit arbitration and they won't be able to afford them. 

31 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Not making any kind of economic or political statement with the following.  Not that he shouldn't take everything he can get but I just found it interesting.

median household income in the United States In 2018 is $62,175

Manny makes as much in an hour as the medial family makes in a  year.  

Depending on endorsement money Manny might make, that probably doesn't put him in the top 30 highest paid athletes in the world.    Floyd Mayweather made almost as much as Manny's entire 10-year deal last year.  Messi and Ronaldo were both over $100M last year.

According to Forbes David Price ($30M salary, $650k endorsements) is #47 in the world.

28 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

When you are bidding $250 million for a player ownership is going to be very involved. I am sure ownership was on-board with this decision. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

The people that made those decisions for the Orioles are gone.  Paying $50 million more than that next highest bidder is not a wise move.  1/2 the Padres payroll goes to two players.  They won 66 games last season.  The Padres are at their highest payroll ever and are a bad team.   In 4 years they will start having guys hit arbitration and they won't be able to afford them. 

Don't you think the plan is that with the best farm system in baseball and a superstar third baseman that they'll be much better pretty soon, and with that their revenues will grow and they'll be able to afford a much higher payroll?  Kind of like how the 2012 Orioles didn't have nearly the payroll of the team after multiple playoff appearances?

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How do you fire a GM for not signing a player to more money than he was allowed to offer?  I assume he's not a White Sox because it would have taken more than 10/300 and they weren't willing to go that high, and I doubt Williams was the source of the max value.  My impression is that's usually ownership's call.

True but boy do they sound bitter.

14 minutes ago, atomic said:

When you are bidding $250 million for a player ownership is going to be very involved. I am sure ownership was on-board with this decision. 

It appears the whitesox has a formidable offer on the table with total valuation exceeding the Padres offer. Do you think ownership could hold the front office accountable for their inability to sell Machados camp or are the dollars just to far apart? 

Just now, jrobb21613 said:

It appears the whitesox has a formidable offer on the table with total valuation exceeding the Padres offer. Do you think ownership could hold the front office accountable for their inability to sell Machados camp or are the dollars just to far apart

It was $50 million less.  I am not sure how you are going toconvince him to  play in a bad area of Chicago over playing in San Diego when there is a $50 million dollar difference. 

48 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Based on what, social media and sports junkies?????

Archived