Manny signs with Padres

weams

Saw this quote in an ESPN article about the deal:

"He got booed in Baltimore three weeks before we traded for him," the Dodgers' Andrew Friedman said at the general managers meetings on Nov. 6. "It's not like it was a secret. ... I think there are other times where guys do it and they really do care. And by care, I mean the effort they put into their work, the type of teammate they are, and Manny checks all those boxes."

Huh? Did I miss where Baltimore fans booed Manny for not hustling? I have no memory of this happening. 

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

Best case scenario for me (and I would think most of us). It will be a lot easier to follow Manny and be proud of him / happy for him on an NL West team than it would have been had he ended up with the Yankees or Red Sox (neither of which were all that likely, but still). I probably won't give him much more thought personally, but I am happy to know that he signed with a team that is about as far from Baltimore as it gets, both geographically and on the rivalry spectrum. 

Don't get your hopes up. If he puts up big numbers and starts to be disgruntled in SD I can see a trade to the AL East in the not too distant future.

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Saw this quote in an ESPN article about the deal:

"He got booed in Baltimore three weeks before we traded for him," the Dodgers' Andrew Friedman said at the general managers meetings on Nov. 6. "It's not like it was a secret. ... I think there are other times where guys do it and they really do care. And by care, I mean the effort they put into their work, the type of teammate they are, and Manny checks all those boxes."

Huh? Did I miss where Baltimore fans booed Manny for not hustling? I have no memory of this happening. 

Found this:

8 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I just heard on Mlb network that the Padres are not ruling out signing Harper as well. They have the payroll flexibility to be able do so. They have a lot of young inexpensive controllable talent for years to come. 

If they do then I am convinced these are three-year rentals. They do not have 600 millions to pay to two players.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cal played in an era where homers were very frequent.   Manny’s a bigger HR hitter than Cal was, relative to his era.  

For the majority of his career, and most productive years, Cal played in a era of infrequent homeruns

He was in his late 30s in the late 90s-early 00s during the HR boom, which subsided somewhat but not back to the levels it was in the 80s-early 90s when Ripken was at his peak

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB/bat.shtml

For example, last year there were 1.15 HR per game

In 1991, one of Cal's best years when he hit a career high 34 HR, that number was 0.8.   It was below 1 from 1981-1994 for the exception of one year.    Its been above 1 for most years since 2001

59 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Wow that huge RSN the Padres own must be really paying of for them, owning most of the TV Dodgers revenue was a boon for ownership. How in the WORLD can they afford a 300m player? Manny definitely wouldn't have played on Baltimore or anywhere else that offered the best deal, nope. They are finished, just such a dumb move how n the world will they compete??? - All lies the OH told me over the past 3 years. 

The Orioles could have always afforded Machado. Any team can. It's just if its a good idea or not.

AJ Preller has been GM of the Padres since 2014. In that time, they've went 74-88 in 2015, 68-94 in 2016, 71-91 in 2017, and 66-96 in 2018. 

Keep in mind, in the 2014/2015 Offseason, he gutted a good farm system that included Yasmani Grandal, Mallex Smith, Max Fried, Zach Eflin, Jake Bauers, Cameron Maybin, and Jesse Hahn to acquire Matt Kemp, Derek Norris, Will Myers, Craig Kimbrel, and Justin Upton. He signed James Shields to a terrible contract. That team was terrible and he ended up having to conduct a fire sale.

Then he got suspended for failing to reveal Drew Pomeranz's medicals.

Then, he signed Wil Myers to a stupid deal. He signed Eric Hosmer to a stupid deal.

So, let's not crown this move yet as a good idea. They still don't have anyone to pitch and while they have a highly touted farm system with some stud prospects - those prospects are still only prospects. I like the signing personally, but they still need a lot to go right.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You are right that the early part of Cal’s career was not in a big HR era.    Also, Manny had about 11% more at bats at the same age.  

In the end it's irrelevant if MM can hit a few more homeruns than CR. I don't think he will have the same impact to the game as CR.

Archived