Yusniel Diaz is very impressive

wildcard

11 minutes ago, makoman said:

I mean, his power started going away in 2010 (.139 ISO) and 2011 (.122 ISO) before the HBP. It was an odd progression after an MVP-caliber year (led the league in bWAR!) in 2008.

Yeah, not really clear why his power declined.   Ironically, it was back up a bit in 2012 (.173 ISO).

27 minutes ago, makoman said:

I mean, his power started going away in 2010 (.139 ISO) and 2011 (.122 ISO) before the HBP. It was an odd progression after an MVP-caliber year (led the league in bWAR!) in 2008.

Remember 2010.  That was when Nick's power fell off, and it was when the league was entering a period of three out of four years with slugging percentages at or below .400 and ISO in the .140 range.  From 2006-2011 slugging was down over 30 points, ISO down about 20.  2011 was the first year since '92 that slugging was under .400. Something was going on.  And when there are league-wide effects they don't impact everyone the same. Yes, PED testing was ramping up then, but I also suspect they softened up the ball a bit to make sure everyone was convinced PEDs were behind us.  

Nick may have been a guy who was particularly susceptible to losing 5% off his flyball distances. Then he broke a hamate bone. and they wouldn't re-juice the balls until 2015-16.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

Really hope he is on the opening day roster. I'm all about letting young talented guys play in the majors, no point in letting him stay in the minors. He's ready.

If Diaz warrants an extentsion and we cant figure out over the next 6 years how to make that happen, has anything really changed?  

Purely from an OD point of view, could we not start out 0-6?  Haha. At least “2-4 and home to Baltimore.”  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

Really hope he is on the opening day roster. I'm all about letting young talented guys play in the majors, no point in letting him stay in the minors. He's ready.

I'd be surprised if he was. Elias was on yesterday with Melewski and he said something to the effect of "Diaz hasn't seen any time at AAA yet, but we're very excited he's on our side."

As an aside, it's really hard to listen to Elias talk and NOT feel confident about the future. What an impressive guy.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'd be surprised if he was. Elias was on yesterday with Melewski and he said something to the effect of "Diaz hasn't seen any time at AAA yet, but we're very excited he's on our side."

As an aside, it's really hard to listen to Elias talk and NOT feel confident about the future. What an impressive guy.

Translation:

Diaz starts the season and AAA and gets a quick promotion, as soon as his super two status is locked down. :)

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Translation:

Diaz starts the season and AAA and gets a quick promotion, as soon as his super two status is locked down. :)

Let’s see how he performs.   Hays too.    I don’t think it’s clear that they are ready for the majors.   If they prove that they are, we can worry about promotions.