Dwight Smith Jr worth a look?

jamalshw

It appears the Jays have DFA'ed Dwight Smith Jr. He appears to still have an option and while our OF is probably one of our deeper areas going forward, Smith may be an interesting guy who has looked good in small samples in the big leagues. Is he worth a look?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Appropos of nothing, I heard Hyde talking about Young on 105.7 this AM. Either he or the radio guy mentioned that Young wants to get into coaching. 

This has been mentioned in a number of places. I wouldn't be upset if they decide to keep EYJ around this season. He'll know his role and be supportive in the locker room. Another Rickard type is only marginally more interesting. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Seems like a poor man's Joey Rickard to me. Although I agree he is more interesting than Eric Young, Jr.

Not saying Young is great, but he can steal bases, get on base and is batting .350+. Plus our goal is to lose really so....maybe we can get everyone's fav David Lough and Travis Snider back:)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yaz meet Dwight Smith Jr., Dwight Smith Jr., meet Yaz. You guys are the same player.

Except one was drafted in the 1st round, and one was drafted in the 14th.   And the former first rounder is over 2 years younger.

At least at one point in the past they weren't the same player.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Except one was drafted in the 1st round, and one was drafted in the 14th.   And the former first rounder is over 2 years younger.

At least at one point in the past they weren't the same player.

The thing I can always expect on the Hangout is on a throwaway funny line, that someone will come back and look at it with a microscope to see if said line is 1000% accurate.

They are the same player now, in other words, why go out and get a guy who you already have in your organization. In other words, PASS. At no point was I referring to their draft position or their choice of clothes, or their current marital status, just quite simply they would bring a similar skill set and the team already cut that guy.

In AAA, .355 OBP, 91k/124BB, in 810 PA. He’s LH. 

Sorry Hanser but Smith is a better fit. Or we could get rid of one of our 20 RP on the 40 man. It sounds like Osich has some potential. Is Arajuo really that good?  We’re keeping him just because he’d have 3 options?  I don’t see him surviving next offseason when we have to add prospects to the 40 man. Same thing with Means. It seems like he was just right place/right time, rather than belonging on the 40 man.