Will Diaz be back soon or not for a year?

wildcard

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree about Springer to begin the season but they kept him down all year including no September callup.  The way he was hitting could have merited him to be in the majors much sooner considering his high prospect status.     

When do you expect to see Diaz in the majors?

I think if Diaz is doing well at Norfolk, maybe sometime between mid-May to the All Star Break? I would be surprised if he didn't get called up until September or not at all unless he had an extremely poor year at Norfolk.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I expect the first of the three to be up in late May early June.  I think they give Trumbo and Davis two months to see if they can do anything if not they cut bait with either one of them.  If Trumbo plays decent they may look to trade him in June or by All star game for a little save in money.   Then they can move Mancini full time to DH or 1st once that happens they will bring up whoever is playing the best of the three to play an outfield position.

I don't think finding opening for Diaz, Hays and Santander is the problem.   Hays out played Mullins in ST.  Once Hays service time issue is behind him in mid May Mullins is not hard to move out of center.  And Mullins has options if he does not hit.  Rickard has been a 4th outfielder for the last three years.   He is going to have to improve greatly to not assume that role when Diaz is ready.  Smith has an option that can be used anytime they deem Santander ready.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I don't think finding opening for Diaz, Hays and Santander is the problem.   Hays out played Mullins in ST.  Once Hays service time issue is behind him in mid May Mullins iis not hard to move out of center.  And Mullins has options if he does not hit.  Rickard as been a 4th outfielder for the last three years.   He is going to have to improve greatly to not assume that role when Diaz is ready.  Smith has an option that can be used anytime they deem Santander ready.

Let’s see how everyone performs.   I do think if Mullins performs the same as last year, he may get sent down.    His spring hasn’t been that encouraging but we’ll see how 200 PA treats him.    Same with the others.    As to Diaz, is he OPSing .900, or .800, or .700?   And how about his teammates?

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s see how everyone performs.   I do think if Mullins performs the same as last year, he may get sent down.    His spring hasn’t been that encouraging but we’ll see how 200 PA treats him.    Same with the others.    As to Diaz, is he OPSing .900, or .800, or .700?   And how about his teammates?

I think we have to be careful with the OPS as a key indicator  if he goes to Harbor Park.  I'd be more interested on how he hits and plays on the road.

Just now, wildcard said:

I think we have to be care with the OPS as a key indicator  if he goes to Harbor Park.  I'd be more interested on how he hits and plays on the road.

I care about both.    Certainly you factor Harbor Park into your calculation.    

Consider this scenario:    Hays puts up an .825 OPS both at home and on the road.    Diaz puts up a .700 OPS in Harbor Park and .900 on the road.    Putting aside service time, 40-man roster and defensive considerations, who would you call up?    Are you going to ignore what they did in Harbor Park?

I would be surprised if he escapes AAA before the Futures Game.  It won't be as high profile but I just have a gut feeling he's headed for the Vlad/Eloy boat - just wait until we hear the reasons given next spring.  Even at his 75th percentile I don't think he'll be as overqualified as those guys were last year.

Does anyone care about keeping him in a potential AAA playoff environment if Norfolk stays in the race?

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think it is as much about what OPS he is reaching but how he looks and what the underlying numbers look like.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I care about both.    Certainly you factor Harbor Park into your calculation.    

Consider this scenario:    Hays puts up an .825 OPS both at home and on the road.    Diaz puts up a .700 OPS in Harbor Park and .900 on the road.    Putting aside service time, 40-man roster and defensive considerations, who would you call up?    Are you going to ignore what they did in Harbor Park?

Who's the better Spades player?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it is as much about what OPS he is reaching but how he looks and what the underlying numbers look like.

Yeah, obviously I’m dumbing this down for purposes of discussion.  Consider it shorthand for how good does he look at the plate?

I really think the new leadership will make the kids force their way to Baltimore.  I also think the goal is to keep them out of bad situations.  And the Orioles will need a solid pitching staff in my opinion before we see a whole bunch of talent rushing up.

And keep in mind, that the O's could trade pitching and be terrible the second half.  I could see them want to keep Rickard and Smith for that, but I am going to be open giving Elias room to give this roster time to breath.  Like Frobby says above, if Diaz is killing AAA, sure why not bring him up.  But there is literally no reason to rush a guy who isn't even on the 40 man roster when there are clearly several others who deserve a chance to show what they can do.

If the Orioles are 7 games back of first place on Memorial Day, then perhaps I would look at it differently.  Otherwise, some guys will bubble up in 2019, but I really don't expect to see much until 2020.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Otherwise, some guys will bubble up in 2019, but I really don't expect to see much until 2020.

I really don't know what to expect, but think this might be right. Force your way big time, or we're happy to wait for a better competitive window to utilize your talents. It's a broken system, but it's the system. Might as well maximize it in your interests, I guess.

I think if he gets off to a good start in the minors, and demonstrates that he doesn't have anything more to accomplish there, he'll be up early in the first half, shortly after the date passed where they get the extra year of team control.  If he gets off to a slow start, he could spend most or all of the season in the minors.  It's up to him, really, IMO.

Archived