The Defense Thread, 2019

Frobby

Game 47, May 20

This game could be called the good, the bad and the ugly.   

- Rio Ruiz made a Manny-esque play at 3B with two on, making a diving stop on a hot smash down the line and then throwing on a rope to 1B for the out.

- Same inning, Richie Martin, who was shifted to the 2B side of the bag, fields a chopper back on the SS side and throws across his body for the out.

- Hanser Alberto made two very nice over the shoulder catches.   On the first one, there was very poor communication and Wilkerson should have called him off IMO, but Alberto made the catch at a very tough angle.    The second one was also a tough catch.  

- Mancini made a diving try for a one-hopper down the line but the ball ricocheted off his glove and into foul territory.

- With a runner on 3B and one out, O’s up 7-4, Smith initially misjudged a short high fly ball but charged in and caught it.    The runner took one step towards home but decided not to go, except that Smith threw home anyway and his throw was at least 15 feet up the 1B line, sailing past Severino and allowing the run to score.   

- In the 8th, Smith tried to make a leaping catch at the fence, but the ball was about 2 inches to the CF side of his glove .   A Yankee fan also tried to catch it, and the play was reviewed for interference, but it appeared Smith just missed the ball and then it hit the fan’s hand.   It would have been a great catch if he’d made it, but it was a makeable catch IMO.

- In the 9th, with a runner on 1st, Joey Rickard fielded a single and foolishly threw to 3B, where he had no chance, and that allowed the batter and potential winning run to advance into scoring position.

- On a fairly deep fly to LF, Smith foolishly threw home, a lollipop of a throw that was about 10 feet behind home plate.   That allowed the potential winning run to move to 3B, where it could score on a wild pitch or passed ball.

- With 2 out, the batter hit a sky high pop up behind home plate.   Severino misjudged it, the ball fell about 10 feet behind him, and nobody else came to help.    That prolonged the inning and Sanchez hit a three-run homer that was the winning margin.    

Ugggghhhh....

Game 48, May 21

I didn’t see this game, but on the radio they seemed to suggest that Urshela’s double in the 3rd inning could have been caught by Smith.    Hunter of course tried to put a positive spin on the play by saying “at least he kept it in the ballpark.”

I’d be interested in the comments of anyone who saw the play, since I didn’t.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Game 48, May 21

I didn’t see this game, but on the radio they seemed to suggest that Urshela’s double in the 3rd inning could have been caught by Smith.    Hunter of course tried to put a positive spin on the play by saying “at least he kept it in the ballpark.”

I’d be interested in the comments of anyone who saw the play, since I didn’t.   

Hit him in a bad place-the glove. Then, he hit the wall and stayed down a few moments like he was hurt. I think it was his pride.

To be clear, he dropped the ball BEFORE he hit the wall.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Hit him in a bad place-the glove. Then, he hit the wall and stayed down a few moments like he was hurt. I think it was his pride.

To be clear, he dropped the ball BEFORE he hit the wall.

He’s not a good fielder.    

10 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, I’ll stand by what I said concerning him not catching the ball, but after watching it again he did hit the wall kinda hard.

He appeared more worried about the wall than the ball. 

Alberto had a bone headed drop in foul territory after calling off Davis. Just awful.

Stevie was probably less than a foot away from robbing a home run in center. Timed it perfectly but it was just hit a little too far.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

It’s hard to imagine how a human can play the OF as poorly as Smiths does. Perhaps he suffers from vertigo.

Is he worse than Trumbo?  Delmon?

I admit to not getting the Smith love, yea he's hit well but that's it.  He's not a long term piece.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is he worse than Trumbo?  Delmon?

I admit to not getting the Smith love, yea he's hit well but that's it.  He's not a long term piece.

Painful memories, and one of those guys soon returns to keep the Stewman Show in Norfolk. 

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

What did Smith do? Working . 

Misplayed a pop up to give the yanks their first hit of the afternoon. 

No Torres, no Sanchez, no Stanton, no Judge, no Didi, no Andujar ... and we nearly got one. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

It’s hard to imagine how a human can play the OF as poorly as Smiths does. Perhaps he suffers from vertigo.

What did he do today?    I’ve noticed he’s played particularly poorly in a couple of other Bundy starts.   

22 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

5b58f77899ee60d4aa3442150d1c21e3.jpg

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What did he do today?    I’ve noticed he’s played particularly poorly in a couple of other Bundy starts.   

Routine fly to left & he seemed to step back, perhaps circled a bit, before jogging in where he watched it land 3 feet in front of him. Looked like he was watching a Cornhole toss. 

He also showed off his cannon again. No play to be made here, but that’s the kind of throw that makes me want Johnny Damon in left, or Mountcastle.