The Defense Thread, 2019

Frobby

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mancinis part in that play is underrated.   

o

As was Matt Snell's part in the Jets winning Super Bowl III against the Colts, and Walt Frazier's role in the Knicks winning Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals against the Lakers.

Of course, Santander and Mancini's play in that game is much more important than those other 2 mere footnotes in sports history ...... Go, Orioles.

o

Game 66, June 11

- Chris Davis missed a foul pop fly that extended an endless first inning at bat that eventually extended to 13 pitches.   

- In the 8th, Davis, Alberto and Mancini all failed to reach a RF blooper that seemed to have enough hang time for any one of them to reach it.    

o

(vs. RED SOX, 6/15)

Richie Martin just made a defensive play that was reminiscent of Manny Machado's Orioles lore play from 2012.

He faked the throw to 1st base, and then threw behind the runner at 2nd base who overran the bag ........ just like Machado did when he faked the throw to 1st base and then threw behind the runner at 3rd base.

The call was overturned, but it was an incredibly heads-up play.

o

7 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. RED SOX, 6/15)

Richie Martin just made a defensive play that was reminiscent of Manny Machado's Orioles lore play from 2012.

He faked the throw to 1st base, and then threw behind the runner at 2nd base who overran the bag ........ just like Machado did when he faked the throw to 1st base and then threw behind the runner at 3rd base.

The call was overturned, but it was an incredibly heads-up play.

o

o

o

Game 70, June 15

I had the misfortune of attending this game in person.    

- First inning, Benintendi hits a grounder past Villar.   By no means a bad play by Villar, but I think a rangier 2B might have gotten it.

- Next hitter hits a fly to RCF.    Broxton catches it, then starts yakking with Santander and doesn’t even bother looking as Benintendi takes 2B.

- Second inning, Bradley hits a pop up to short CF.   Broxton breaks the  wrong way and it falls in.

- Next guy hits a grounder that Villar can’t get, very similar to the play in the first inning.    Not a bad play, just a ball a rangier 2B gets.

- On a two out, 3-2 pitch, Bundy doesn’t even look at the runner on first and he’s literally 10 feet from 2B by the time Bundy releases the pitch.   It’s ball four, so it doesn’t matter, but still poor by Bundy.    He escapes the inning.     

- In the 4th, with a runner on first, the batter hits a slow chopper that Alberto should have been able to field but he doesn’t.    Martin picks it up, fumbles it for a split second and can’t throw to first, but notices the runner has rounded second and throws there.    The ump calls the diving runner out but replay shows Villar missed the tag.   It goes as an infield single.

- In the 5th, Santander makes a nicely timed leap at the scoreboard, catches the ball and holds on as he hits the wall and tumbles to the ground.    Outstanding play.

- In the 6th, runner on 1st, Wilkerson is a bit slow relaying a ball hit into the corner.    Martin makes a late relay throw home and as a result the batter ends up at 3B.

- Later in the inning, a slow chopper is hit to 3B.    Alberto kind of does an awkward dive and missed it, and Martin also doesn’t get there.     It goes as a single but Manny makes that play 99% of the time and the other 1% Hardy gets to.

- The very next hitter hits a medium grounder that goes under Alberto’s glove, and finally they call one an error.    A run scores.

- In the 9th, runners on 1st and 2nd, the batter hits a chopper over Castro’s head.   Alberto (now playing 2B) charges but fumbles the transfer and it goes as a hit.  

- A ground ball takes a bit of a funny hop off the mound and it goes by Villar who tries to stab with his glove instead of getting in front of it.    

- With runners on 1st and 3rd, Severino makes a bad throw on a steal attempt and the runner on 3B comes in to score.   

At that point, I finally got disgusted enough to leave.   

I gotta tell ya, I’m not impressed at all with the defense of Broxton in CF. 

He often breaks poorly on balls and his routes aren’t good. Ready to move on.

Oh, and the strike outs! He’s really the complete package.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Shades of Pie.

28 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

His past defensive numbers are decent, but I agree he’s not been very impressive.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Game 70, June 15

I had the misfortune of attending this game in person.    

- First inning, Benintendi hits a grounder past Villar.   By no means a bad play by Villar, but I think a rangier 2B might have gotten it.

- Next hitter hits a fly to RCF.    Broxton catches it, then starts yakking with Santander and doesn’t even bother looking as Benintendi takes 2B.

- Second inning, Bradley hits a pop up to short CF.   Broxton breaks the  wrong way and it falls in.

- Next guy hits a grounder that Villar can’t get, very similar to the play in the first inning.    Not a bad play, just a ball a rangier 2B gets.

- On a two out, 3-2 pitch, Bundy doesn’t even look at the runner on first and he’s literally 10 feet from 2B by the time Bundy releases the pitch.   It’s ball four, so it doesn’t matter, but still poor by Bundy.    He escapes the inning.     

- In the 4th, with a runner on first, the batter hits a slow chopper that Alberto should have been able to field but he doesn’t.    Martin picks it up, fumbles it for a split second and can’t throw to first, but notices the runner has rounded second and throws there.    The ump calls the diving runner out but replay shows Villar missed the tag.   It goes as an infield single.

- In the 5th, Santander makes a nicely timed leap at the scoreboard, catches the ball and holds on as he hits the wall and tumbles to the ground.    Outstanding play.

- In the 6th, runner on 1st, Wilkerson is a bit slow relaying a ball hit into the corner.    Martin makes a late relay throw home and as a result the batter ends up at 3B.

- Later in the inning, a slow chopper is hit to 3B.    Alberto kind of does an awkward dive and missed it, and Martin also doesn’t get there.     It goes as a single but Manny makes that play 99% of the time and the other 1% Hardy gets to.

- The very next hitter hits a medium grounder that goes under Alberto’s glove, and finally they call one an error.    A run scores.

- In the 9th, runners on 1st and 2nd, the batter hits a chopper over Castro’s head.   Alberto (now playing 2B) charges but fumbles the transfer and it goes as a hit.  

- A ground ball takes a bit of a funny hop off the mound and it goes by Villar who tries to stab with his glove instead of getting in front of it.    

- With runners on 1st and 3rd, Severino makes a bad throw on a steal attempt and the runner on 3B comes in to score.   

At that point, I finally got disgusted enough to leave.   

What could Broxton and Santander possibly have been talking about? Has there been any explanation? Did Broxton think there were three outs?

It takes a lot to get me to leave a game early but I would have been tempted to ditch it too.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

What could Broxton and Santander possibly have been talking about? Has there been any explanation? Did Broxton think there were three outs?

It takes a lot to get me to leave a game early but I would have been tempted to ditch it too.

It appeared that Santander lost the high fly ball in the sun, and Broxton had to range way over in RF to bail him out. After Keon caught the ball it looked like he was reassuring Santander that he had it the whole time, while never even glancing back to the infield. Obviously Broxton either forgot how many outs there were, or forgot there was a runner on base.

Archived