2019 Washington Nationals

OFFNY

I didn't realize they are one of the oldest teams in MLB, even counting Soto and Robles.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/236223/major-league-baseball-clubs-by-average-age-of-players/

I think it was during the Game 4 postgame celebration near the Scherzer/Zim press conference - one of their MASN guys highlighted it, with a question something like - "Every one says this is a game of more and more youth - aren't our old guys special/why we won this close game?"  So then last night I noticed it more when Brian Dozier was their defensive replacement for Kendrick.

The other interesting tidbit was Scherzer highlighting he's older than Zimmerman in response to a "Ryan, what if this is your last moment here?"  kind of question.  That hit me odd - I would not have guessed that.

I checked B-Ref - they are both NCAA guys and Zim was drafted a year earlier.  But Scherzer is indeed a few months older.  I wonder if Zim skipped a grade, or Max had a redshirt or some kind of delay.

Hopefully the Nats finish this thing off today.  They have gone I think 81-40 since starting 19-31.  That is remarkable.  The Cardinals do what they always do in October....overachieve.  Thankfully, they are about to get stuffed by the much better team.  This will be a really good WS matchup regardless of who comes out of the AL. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

Hopefully the Nats finish this thing off today.  They have gone I think 81-40 since starting 19-31.  That is remarkable.  The Cardinals do what they always do in October....overachieve.  Thankfully, they are about to get stuffed by the much better team.  This will be a really good WS matchup regardless of who comes out of the AL. 

It would be more awesome if the Nationals totally fell apart.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1