New hot dog vendor at Camden Yards.

Going Underground

18 minutes ago, Number5 said:

It really isn't your place to comment about other parents' decisions.  It just isn't.

They really shouldn't have kids meals come with sodas.   This is a state run facility they should have healthy options for both kids and adults.  That would include Milk and water as the main options for beverages.   Things like carrots and apple slices as snacks to go with a meal.  The American Heart Association and American Pediatric Association both recommend not giving your children sugary drinks.   

• Downvote 1

Just now, atomic said:

They really shouldn't have kids meals come with sodas.   This is a state run facility they should have healthy options for both kids and adults.  That would include Milk and water as the main options for beverages.   Things like carrots and apple slices as snacks to go with a meal.  The American Heart Association and American Pediatric Association both recommend not giving your children sugary drinks.   

You're the worst.

Just the worst.

Delete your account. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

No one is debating with you the merits or hazards of eating hot dogs or drinking soda.  We are simply advising you that it is wholly inappropriate for you to lecture others regarding their children.  You seem to be missing some social cues here.  This really isn't something you should continue to belabor.  Please take the hint.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

It really isn't your place to comment about other parents' decisions.  It just isn't.

I am not offended.    But I think atomic is in a distinct minority if he never let his kids drink a soda, or If he thinks that other parents would be aghast to learn that I let a soda pass through my kids’ lips.      At home, our kids mostly drank milk.    But on special occasions when we were out somewhere, yes they had soda sometimes.    They are all now productive members of society and none are habitual soda drinkers.   To the extent they had cavities (and yes they all had some), I very much doubt that an occasional soda was the cause.   

Apparently other parents must do the same, since I’ve seen plenty of soda stands at the stadium and none selling milk.    

As an aside, does anyone remember when Todd Marinovich was a phenom college QB, and there were tons of articles about how he’d never had a soda in his life?   And then he had a major drug problem later, if I recall correctly.    It’s not always good to be overly strict with your kid about their diet.    Within reason.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

There are a few healthy options available.    My wife’s a vegetarian and they have a few items there, though you have to roam the stadium to find them.     

To steer away from the uncivility, and because I'm genuinely curious, do you or any others here know what vegetarian options there are on offer, aside from the obvious ones like nachos, fries, etc.? I usually bring my own food, or wind up with the pizza (which is, without fail, consistently unimpressive). But there have been times when I would have loved to have a veggie burger or veggie dog option. Sometimes I can't bring my own food and just don't feel like spending two innings walking the stadium to try and scout for one.

13 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

To steer away from the uncivility, and because I'm genuinely curious, do you or any others here know what vegetarian options there are on offer, aside from the obvious ones like nachos, fries, etc.? I usually bring my own food, or wind up with the pizza (which is, without fail, consistently unimpressive). But there have been times when I would have loved to have a veggie burger or veggie dog option. Sometimes I can't bring my own food and just don't feel like spending two innings walking the stadium to try and scout for one.

They had these last year .I saw milk in one of those market store things they had once but did not see it after that.

Peanuts, Popcorn, Pretzels, Potato Chips, Fries.

Most locations

Acai Bowl (Dried Fruits, Nuts, Seeds, Bananas, Berries, Coconut, Currants, Goji Berries)

Boog’s General Store and Birdland Markets

Burgers & Basics

Veggie Burger

105, 109, 304, 308

Veggie Dog

103, 111, 113, 305

Veggie Wrap

Eutaw Market

Vegan Carrot & Cabbage Dumplings

Pinch Dumplings (lower concourse behind home plate)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

They had these last year .I saw milk in one of those market store things they had once but did not see it after that.

Peanuts, Popcorn, Pretzels, Potato Chips, Fries.

Most locations

Acai Bowl (Dried Fruits, Nuts, Seeds, Bananas, Berries, Coconut, Currants, Goji Berries)

Boog’s General Store and Birdland Markets

Burgers & Basics

Veggie Burger

105, 109, 304, 308

Veggie Dog

103, 111, 113, 305

Veggie Wrap

Eutaw Market

Vegan Carrot & Cabbage Dumplings

Pinch Dumplings (lower concourse behind home plate)

That's a great list, thank you very much for that information.   

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

I am not offended.    But I think atomic is in a distinct minority if he never let his kids drink a soda, or If he thinks that other parents would be aghast to learn that I let a soda pass through my kids’ lips.      At home, our kids mostly drank milk.    But on special occasions when we were out somewhere, yes they had soda sometimes.    They are all now productive members of society and none are habitual soda drinkers.   To the extent they had cavities (and yes they all had some), I very much doubt that an occasional soda was the cause.   

Apparently other parents must do the same, since I’ve seen plenty of soda stands at the stadium and none selling milk.    

As an aside, does anyone remember when Todd Marinovich was a phenom college QB, and there were tons of articles about how he’d never had a soda in his life?   And then he had a major drug problem later, if I recall correctly.    It’s not always good to be overly strict with your kid about their diet.    Within reason.  

I think it is a generational thing.  I don't think giving kids soda is the norm now.  I don't think not giving your child a soda turns them into a drug addict.  That is a big stretch.  You have no idea what happened during Marinovich's life or what he is pre-disposed to. He also was probably hit in the head many times during his career. I mean would you say not giving kids beer when they are growing up turns them into alcoholics?  

I am not overly strict with my child's diet.  I just see the point in giving them pancake syrup water is anyway healthy. I am in my mid 50's and have never had a cavity.   I think soda definitely leads to cavities and other issues.  I have traveled extensively and the countries where the food seems the healthiest seems to have the longest lifespans.  

It is a shame they don't have milk at every stand at the stadium.  Or that the food is all so unhealthy.  And I say that for myself.  I don't eat fried food or hot dogs or hamburgers.  I get Turkey Boogs Barbecue with cole slaw.  Used to get the Korean Tacos but those are gone.  Nice to know they have vegi-burger options.  I might give them a try.  LIke vegi-burgers as long as they aren't the newer kind that taste like beef.  

And I wouldn't make such a big deal about the unhealthy options if they were healthy options throughout the stadium.

You can feed your kids healthy food and they can eat hot dogs, which are unhealthy. Soda isn’t healthy and it’s not good for your teeth. You’re not touching on anything groundbreaking here. 

Kids can brush their teeth and avoid cavities. They can exercise and avoid health issues caused by fatty or sugary foods. Going to the ball park is a treat, and therefore the food is generally a treat as well. It’s a time to kick back and enjoy life, and for many that includes not eating healthy. Eating or drinking unhealthy food in moderation is not bad for you. 

I agree that it would be amazing if there were more healthy options at the stadium. I don’t disagree with that point at all.

To act like you don’t understand why would give soda or hot dogs to children is being obtuse for the sake of moral superiority. Soda tastes good

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You can feed your kids healthy food and they can eat hot dogs, which are unhealthy. Soda isn’t healthy and it’s not good for your teeth. You’re not touching on anything groundbreaking here. 

Kids can brush their teeth and avoid cavities. They can exercise and avoid health issues caused by fatty or sugary foods. Going to the ball park is a treat, and therefore the food is generally a treat as well. It’s a time to kick back and enjoy life, and for many that includes not eating healthy. Eating or drinking unhealthy food in moderation is not bad for you. 

I agree that it would be amazing if there were more healthy options at the stadium. I don’t disagree with that point at all.

To act like you don’t understand why would give soda or hot dogs to children is being obtuse for the sake of moral superiority. Soda tastes good

Yeah that is the main issue. If you drink soda you are going to think sweet food tastes good and you will gravitate towards it.  I don't find soda tastes good at all. If you focus on sweet foods by the time you get to my age you won't even be able to even run a mile and will start having health issues.  

Really have worked in health care field most of my life and I can tell you diabetes is a terrible disease.  Heart disease, kidney failure, loss of limbs.  And it is affecting more and more people. 25 percent of Marylander's who are 65 have diabetes.  14 percent in the 45 to 65 age group. 

I am not trying to change peoples eating habits but the parents I am around prefer healthy beverages and snacks.  It would be nice if we had as many healthy options as unhealthy options.  

On 12/11/2019 at 12:11 PM, atomic said:

I haven't criticized anyone.  I just thought people didn't feed their kids hot dogs and coke anymore.  Just like most people don't smoke anymore. I am around a ton of kids functions: birthday parties, school events, sports etc.  I never see anyone give their kids anything other than milk, water or juice to drink.

Most people don't smoke anymore? Come to Portland, Oregon and leave your little cocoon.

Personally,  I wish fewer people smoked, but that's neither here nor there.