Second guessing Hyde

Philip

On 4/9/2019 at 11:38 AM, Frobby said:

I think that’s pretty speculative.    

Hyde straight up said the reason they had to DFA Jackson was because they wanted to add an additional pitcher. They needed an additional pitcher because the bullpen was gassed. Araujo contributed to that. Not speculative at all.

14 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Evan Phillips?  In Fenway?  With runners on base? And a one run lead?  And for several batters until the lead has ballooned?  

What was that?

Learning experience.   24 year old Phillips with a 94-95 fastball with movement and a good slider put in a spot that means something.   He threw the ball well.   

Good night for the young O's.   25 year old Hess pitched well.  26 year Fry looks good.   26 year old Smith pops a two run homer.  25 year old Nunez  hit a two run homer.   Its early in the season.   This experience should pay off later in the season.     It about more than one game.

23 year old Diaz triples for Bowie.  844 OPS.   24 year old Akin goes 6 and give up 2 runs at AAA.   25 year old Stewart hit atwo run homer at AAA. Now has a 1.077 OPS.

• Upvote 4

I've been griping all season that we never try a sac bunt with runners on first and second no outs. Several opportunities so far and we never try this. Last night Boston comes up with runners on first and second no outs. They do it. Duh.

17 minutes ago, LA2 said:

That's what I was thinking. Pedroia-redux. So this type of call is not reviewable?

NY reviewed it and let the (no) call stand.  That is why Hyde erupted.

Hyde didn’t reveal where he watched the rest of the game after his ejection. He mentioned only the reasons why he argued Rafael Devers’ slide into second base and how he wasn’t trying to get tossed just to fire up his club.

He had a much better reason. And he won’t be afraid to run out there again, even knowing, as he did yesterday, that resuming an argument after a challenge is grounds for dismissal from the game.

“For me, I just felt like it was wrong,” Hyde said. “For me, they made a wrong decision and I’m not just going to allow our team to just ... I just felt like the whole thing was wrong. I felt like it was handled (wrong), I just didn’t agree with the decision in New York at all and if I disagree with something, I’ll stand up for what I believe in. I don’t believe that call was right.

“I’m going to get thrown out at times. I’m going to pick my spots, and I think when I disagree with something, then I’m going to let people know. But circumstances change and in that type of situation I go out there, I know I’m getting thrown out. But I really believe that the wrong call was made.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/04/straily-were-just-one-day-at-a-time.html

I may have missed this, but why did Hyde bring up Ynoa? He’s the same one-way player, he’s not good and hasn’t been good this season.

I appreciate that he’s considered the best choice, but I don’t understand why, and haven’t seen any reasons put forward. I may have missed them.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Should have said .800 since his OPS is .813.
    • I feel like Basallo should be put under the same scrutiny.  How many of his HR have been against washed up non prospects.  Questionable whether he can even defensively handle catcher.  It's not just throwing base stealers out.  Basallo struggles to keep his OPS above .900 in AA when Holliday obliterated AA at the same age with an OPS over 1.000.  Basallo is far from untouchable.
    • Small correction: Fabian received slot at pick 2b ($1,026,300)  https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/45160-2022-draft-tracker/. I believe the year the Red Sox picked him one ahead of the O's, the rumor was the O's were going to offer $3M. The Sox were offering slot, way less.   I concur w/ the rest.
    • I’m not ready to concede that Mayo needs to be lifted for defense.
    • Bradfield -  C- .  Needs a big second half. Horvath - C.  Needs a good second half. Baumeister - C.  Walks are a big problem. Josenberger - C+.  For the 3rd round at least he’s interesting.   Levi Wells - D.  Showed glimpses but getting knocked around way too much. Matthew Etzel - A.  Couldn’t ask for much better from a 10th round pick. Good news -  He looks like the best player from this draft Bad news - He looks like the best player from this draft. The O’s went for speed and athletes so there’s still a chance some of these guys figure it out.  So far, not so good.   Interesting arms. Nestor German Teddy Sharkey (TJ surgery) Kiefer Lord (TJ surgery)
    • That above scenario is the only reason I could see us keeping Urias right now. Would we want to lose a close playoff game because we pinch hit for Mateo to tie a game/get the lead, but lose the game because Mayo isn’t the defender Urias is.  We have options after we trade Urias, 1. Just simply have Holliday on the playoff roster. If Mateo is pinch hit for, then Holliday just comes in at 2B. 1-1 substitution keeping Westburg at 3B. 2. We make a small trade for a defensive wiz that can play 3B and stash him on our roster and make sure he’s playoff eligible.  Either way, this is a likely scenario in the playoffs, but it’s fixable. Get Mayo up here. 
    • Etzel is carrying the class in terms of early production. He’s already in AA Bowie. He’s not a little guy either for a CF, which you would think with him being a 10th rd pick. He’s 6’2” 200.  EBJ I feel like is going to frustrate us because he might be the Jorge Mateo of CF.  Casual fans don’t like that, but our lineup is poised to carry a GG level CF with elite base stealing/base running.  I’ll lump Josenberger and Vasquez together at the moment. Both are guys with 30+ SB, but in that .670 OPS range in A+ Aberdeen. Again, just like EBJ, can they get that OPS up enough to be playable offensively. I do not know about their defense. Can Josenberger play CF  in pro ball?  How does Vasquez look at SS? Urman and Cunningham are struggling. Horvath hit just .199 in April and May.  He got off to a slow start and hit the IL for a bit. He’s really come on recently.     Thoughts?  
  • Popular Contributors