Attendance 2019

Frobby

10 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Orioles are a business. They will draw more then tonight for the giveaway,so more profit with higher ticket prices. That is why they charge more for Yankee and Red Sox games.To make more on the Yankee and Red Sox fans.That being said ,the Orioles ticket prices are not that bad.

I dont think you are right though. Attendance for the giveaway game would be higher without increased prices.  And you might get fans in the habit of going to games.  I was looking to buy tickets and then saw ridiculous prices.  My wife doesn't like moving to better seats. So the buying cheap seats and moving up doesn't work for me.

12 hours ago, atomic said:

I don’t understand why people would buy those tickets.  The Orioles need to work on pricing.  If you have all the terrible seats sold but the good ones empty you are doing something wrong.  

I like to be under the cover (not in the sun and not in the rain).

11 hours ago, milbest77 said:

See, what really scares me is many people seem to think this is “plug and play” situation, where we will turn into Houston East just because we hired Elias and Sig. I am almost finished reading Astroball and what struck me was the statistics in downtown Houston growth by 2017. There were 18 Houston-based companies in the Fortune 500 in 2017. Does Baltimore have any? Plus, the population was booming, whereas I believe Baltimore’s is rapidly shrinking. 

I don’t want to believe Baltimore will lose the Orioles in 2023 to Vegas or Nashville or Portland, but it is becoming more and more difficult not to think about that very scenario playing out. 

Houston is also the 4th largest city in the country and Texas only has two teams.

11 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Orioles are a business. They will draw more then tonight for the giveaway,so more profit with higher ticket prices. That is why they charge more for Yankee and Red Sox games.To make more on the Yankee and Red Sox fans.That being said ,the Orioles ticket prices are not that bad.

24 minutes ago, atomic said:

I dont think you are right though. Attendance for the giveaway game would be higher without increased prices.  And you might get fans in the habit of going to games.  I was looking to buy tickets and then saw ridiculous prices.  My wife doesn't like moving to better seats. So the buying cheap seats and moving up doesn't work for me.

There are a ton of seats left. I wonder if the O's business management side thought people would simply go down to the Yard being that people were itching for baseball after a long off-season as well as expect people to come and get the promos. That obviously isn't happening. Ticket prices are too high in many areas for a team that may finish in last of all of MLB again.

Attendance is a major issue across MLB. Prices need to be lowered, in some cities it's getting completely out of hand.

305fn8.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Prices are also noticeably higher this season for all games on secondary market places, namely Stubhb. I'm pretty sure the mlb teams sell directly through SH, sort of a sneaky way to raise ticket prices without raising them at the gate. Used to be able to easily get in the ballpark for under $10, doesn't appear to be the case this season.

I heard they raised the concession prices back up, after a year or so of lowering them. Can anyone confirm this? I haven't been to a game this season.

I used to go to all of the bobblehead head giveaways.

In the past two years or so they have started doing theme bobbleheads nights with the requirement of buying a separate ticket package and I don't feel like paying that much extra for a cheap hunk of plastic and an aluminum spring. I don't think a team that had a franchise worst year, and is only slightly improved, should be Nickle and diming on bobbleheads. If they want to offer their pre-game party ticket package, go for it. But if you want 25,000 fans on bobblehead day then offer them to the first 25,000 fans like they used to. 

Five years ago I would have been at tonight's game. Not today. 

Edited by Darkhawk
Typo

12 hours ago, Going Underground said:

15,241 tonight.Expected over 25,000.The force not with the Orioles.

My guess was accurate within 241 people.  I think the higher prices for the game is what destroyed attendance.  This should have a discount priced game as it was against the Rays.  

21 hours ago, Darkhawk said:

I used to go to all of the bobblehead head giveaways.

In the past two years or so they have started doing theme bobbleheads nights with the requirement of buying a separate ticket package and I don't feel like paying that much extra for a cheap hunk of plastic and an aluminum spring. I don't think a team that had a franchise worst year, and is only slightly improved, should be Nickle and diming on bobbleheads. If they want to offer their pre-game party ticket package, go for it. But if you want 25,000 fans on bobblehead day then offer them to the first 25,000 fans like they used to. 

Five years ago I would have been at tonight's game. Not today. 

Exactly,  they sell limited edition bobble heads at the gift shops.  I think the Orioles management knows zero about marketing along with anything else.  With the governor saying that the MASN decision might affect the Orioles staying in town.  I won’t be attending anymore games until they sign a lease extension.

20 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Most teams now charging more for certain series and giveaways.I found this kind of ridiculous. The Nationals are charging more to see the Orioles during the week, then a good Brewer team the weekend prior.Giveaway also against the Brewers.

If there's more demand for certain games, and less demand for others, why would any team charge the same for both?

23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If there's more demand for certain games, and less demand for others, why would any team charge the same for both?

To get fans want to come to more than one game a year.  Build loyalty.  No Orioles game going forward will be close to a sell out so there is no great demand.