Attendance 2019

Frobby

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've been to a baseball game more recently than I've watched an NFL game on the TV.

For the record I have gone to spring training games.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Simply not true.    There are plenty of people who care about baseball much more than football.    I’m one of them.  The next game I attend will be the final home Sunday of the year, and I couldn’t care less that I’m missing football that day.

Of course, I realize that those fans are outnumbered by those who care more about football than baseball.  

Everybody has different tastes in sports.

While the NFL is seeing a drop off in ticket sales, I do not believe its near the drop off in MLB sales. 

I believe if you look at sport merchandize sales figures, that might be a good indication of which sport is doing better.

IMO, I do not see baseball, being our #1 sport, as it was with I was growing up.

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Plenty of people don’t give a damn about football.   

My major activities this past weekend:

1. Driving to and from U13 travel soccer matches.  Roughly five hours.
2. Watching U13 travel soccer matches.  About three hours.
3. Culling and editing U13 travel soccer photos, a couple hours
4. Mowing the yard, a couple hours.
5. Spent maybe 90 minutes watching most of The Fifth Element for the 12th time.
6. Going out to eat with my brother after soccer match.  Couple hours.
7. Watched an hour of a documentary on the Isle of Man motorcycle race.
8. Catching the last 15 minutes of the Norway-Sweden Euro 2020 qualifier.
9. Caught five minutes of the Redskins game, kind of chuckled, went out to mow.

No, no Orioles this weekend, but I usually at least check in on the game.  I expect my kids' soccer matches to get at least fifty times the commitment from me that the NFL does this year.  The NFL is just meh.  

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No, no Orioles this weekend, but I usually at least check in on the game.  I expect my kids' soccer matches to get at least fifty times the commitment from me that the NFL does this year.  The NFL is just meh.  

True, and many people feel that way.

NFL still have enough fans to broadcast on the open airwaves their games, well, except for blackout ones.

I dont recall seeing that many MLB on regular TV airwaves.

If the market was there, they would air it.

42 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't think people who spend several hours on the Orioles board this year are the norm of people in general.   BTW my daughter played her first soccer game ever on Saturday and scored 3 goals. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't think people who spend several hours on the Orioles board this year are the norm of people in general.   BTW my daughter played her first soccer game ever on Saturday and scored 3 goals. 

I'm sure you were very proud of her.  I very greatly enjoy watching my kids play.  My 11-year-old scored Saturday, and I feel badly I missed it because I was driving my 12-year-old to his game in Gaithersburg.  It probably seems a little silly to some, but when my boys were both on the U12 RecPlus championship team last year, and I helped coach, that was pretty special.

If there's a conflict between the boys' games and any pro or college team I follow it's no contest, their stuff always takes precedence.  If the O's were in a World Series game when they were playing... I can record the Series.

45 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm sure you were very proud of her.  I very greatly enjoy watching my kids play.  My 11-year-old scored Saturday, and I feel badly I missed it because I was driving my 12-year-old to his game in Gaithersburg.  It probably seems a little silly to some, but when my boys were both on the U12 RecPlus championship team last year, and I helped coach, that was pretty special.

If there's a conflict between the boys' games and any pro or college team I follow it's no contest, their stuff always takes precedence.  If the O's were in a World Series game when they were playing... I can record the Series.

Must be great bonding to coach your sons teams.  Definitely agree kids come before pro sports.  

Couple things. 

Was at the game on Friday, Upper Deck. They keep shutting down the concession- that are still open-  stands early. If  you are going to do that then let fans move down lower. Can’t ask people to sit in seats and have to walk a marathon to get food. I get why they are doing it but still. 

The lights on Hamburg street walking back to the parking lots were completely dark. Not one of them on. That is a joke. Don’t know who is to blame but it isn’t right. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Couple things. 

Was at the game on Friday, Upper Deck. They keep shutting down the concession- that are still open-  stands early. If  you are going to do that then let fans move down lower. Can’t ask people to sit in seats and have to walk a marathon to get food. I get why they are doing it but still. 

The lights on Hamburg street walking back to the parking lots were completely dark. Not one of them on. That is a joke. Don’t know who is to blame but it isn’t right. 

You can move lower.  Move down to the lower box seats.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:13 PM, Going Underground said:

Oriole attendance is now at 1,191,000 with 9 games to go.Based on what it looks like for presale right now should just about hit the 1 3  million mark.1.31 looks like the top mark and 1 29 would be around the low mark.

I think the last weekend of the year could surprise a little.    People coming out to say goodbye to the baseball season.    I know I’m attending the final game of the year.   But yeah, I don’t think I see them topping 1.31 mm.

14 hours ago, eddie83 said:

And we did later on.

My point is from what I have been seeing is that the ushers have been chasing people off. 

Maybe the Orioles should close sections like some other sports teams have done.   Tampa has reduced their capacity to 25,000. New stadiums are being built with less seats.   Make some of the lower seat sections cheaper.  If you have people sitting in the upper deck and the lower deck is empty they are not pricing the tickets correctly. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think the last weekend of the year could surprise a little.    People coming out to say goodbye to the baseball season.    I know I’m attending the final game of the year.   But yeah, I don’t think I see them topping 1.31 mm.

Most years they do pretty well that weekend. I know I always try to go. 

Last year had 26k and 24k last 2 games. Of course also people thinking Jones and Buck we’re leaving. 

If they get 20k that would be good I think this year.  

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Most years they do pretty well that weekend. I know I always try to go. 

Last year had 26k and 24k last 2 games. Of course also people thinking Jones and Buck we’re leaving. 

If they get 20k that would be good I think this year.  

Orioles drew 11,000,12000 and 16,000 for the Ranger weekend series.Last  year a weekend series against the White Sox drew 18,000,23,000 and 19,000.Dont see 20,000 last weekend.Based on presale,maybe 13,000 Friday,15,000 to 17,000 both Saturday and Sunday. We shall see but very little caring about the Orioles around town.Ravens,Ravens and Ravens.

34 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Orioles drew 11,000,12000 and 16,000 for the Ranger weekend series.Last  year a weekend series against the White Sox drew 18,000,23,000 and 19,000.Dont see 20,000 last weekend.Based on presale,maybe 13,000 Friday,15,000 to 17,000 both Saturday and Sunday. We shall see but very little caring about the Orioles around town.Ravens,Ravens and Ravens.

and DC is doing the same thing with the Nationals, Redskins, Redskins and Redskins.

I know this is not supported by this baseball board, but the NFL has long overtaken MLB as more followed sport.