MASN dispute update

JohnD

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Just seems like the fervor has died out in the fanbase to me. 

I wouldn’t say so.   They had their highest attendance since 2015 this year (2.529 mm), not bad considering their disappointing season.    TV ratings were slightly down but not a lot.    I’d certainly say the bigger issue now is the Orioles’ plummeting ratings, which will probably continue next year.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t say so.   They had their highest attendance since 2015 this year (2.529 mm), not bad considering their disappointing season.    TV ratings were slightly down but not a lot.    I’d certainly say the bigger issue now is the Orioles’ plummeting ratings, which will probably continue next year.   

Oh indeed. And so will the Nationals. 

In spite of their best efforts, the Nationals have nothing to show for drafting generational talents and signing one of the greatest pitchers of the last decade.

The Orioles have nothing to show for complete mismanagement of baseball franchise for 20 years.

Its hard to say which is more disappointing.

22 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

In spite of their best efforts, the Nationals have nothing to show for drafting generational talents and signing one of the greatest pitchers of the last decade.

The Orioles have nothing to show for complete mismanagement of baseball franchise for 20 years.

Its hard to say which is more disappointing.

I don’t consider four division titles “nothing to show.”     Obviously the ultimate goal is to win the World Series, but six months of winning baseball is pretty damned enjoyable so far as I’m concerned.  

Since the Nats came from Montreal:

2005 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2006 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2007 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2008 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2009 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2010 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2011 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2012 season -- Nats make playoffs and lose in Division Series, Orioles make playoffs and lose in Division Series

2013 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2014 season -- Nats win division, lose in Division series, Orioles win division, win division series, lose in ALCS

2015 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2016 season -- Nats make playoffs and lose in Division series, Orioles make playoffs and lose in wild card game

2017 season -- Nats make playoffs and lose in Division series, Orioles miss playoffs

2018 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

Not much difference until 2017, and they haven't won a playoff series and we have.   In 14 years:  One year they made the playoffs that we didn't.   One year we advanced further in the playoffs than they did.   And one year we were one extra inning game in Toronto away from achieving just as much as they did.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

Since the Nats came from Montreal:

2005 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2006 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2007 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2008 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2009 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2010 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2011 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2012 season -- Nats make playoffs and lose in Division Series, Orioles make playoffs and lose in Division Series

2013 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2014 season -- Nats win division, lose in Division series, Orioles win division, win division series, lose in ALCS

2015 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

2016 season -- Nats make playoffs and lose in Division series, Orioles make playoffs and lose in wild card game

2017 season -- Nats make playoffs and lose in Division series, Orioles miss playoffs

2018 season -- Nats miss playoffs, Orioles miss playoffs

Not much difference until 2017, and they haven't won a playoff series and we have.   In 14 years:  One year they made the playoffs that we didn't.   One year we advanced further in the playoffs than they did.   And one year we were one extra inning game in Toronto away from achieving just as much as they did.

Facts don't lie. The Nationals, ultimately, have been no more successful than the Orioles over the last decade.

Of course, what really matters is the NEXT decade, wherein I strongly suspect the Nationals will be far more successful than the entirely rudderless Orioles.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Facts don't lie. The Nationals, ultimately, have been no more successful than the Orioles over the last decade.

Of course, what really matters is the NEXT decade, wherein I strongly suspect the Nationals will be far more successful than the entirely rudderless Orioles.

What really matters is this month's arbitration ruling. Maybe the Angelos clan is waiting for that before deciding whether to hire a president or sell the team. They seem to be doing a good job of eliminating obligations and headcount, but haven't hired anyone.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

What really matters is this month's arbitration ruling. Maybe the Angelos clan is waiting for that before deciding whether to hire a president or sell the team. They seem to be doing a good job of eliminating obligations and headcount, but haven't hired anyone.

That should not be the case.  The process of selling the team would take a long time, and the team needs an organization structure in place well before then.