Means and Straily put pressure on Bundy

wildcard

If you believe that Cashner and Hess are in the rotation for now.  And Means and Straily both have just pitched 5 innings and allowed only one run each.   Then with Cobb due to return to the rotation this weekend someone has to go to the pen.  Bundy starts tomorrow.  He has to  prove it should not be him.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Bundy with his penchant for giving up homers would be rough out of the bullpen.

Or maybe if he only has to pitch a couple of innings per outing his velo goes up.

But maybe he responds to the challenge tomorrow and pitches really well in his start to stay in the rotation.

46 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Bundy with his penchant for giving up homers would be rough out of the bullpen.

His career OPSa first time through the lineup is .716.  2nd time through, .852.

This year he's been absolutely atrocious after the first time through.  .514 vs 1.538.

You'd probably be right to think that this year's stats are a bit fluky.  For what it's worth, league average is .686 first time, .768 2nd time.  So the difference is decidedly worse than league average.

I do think it’s possible Bundy could get pulled out of the rotation if he has another bad start or two and the other starters do well.    But we’re not there quite yet.   

By the way, Bundy has not fared well at Tropicana Field.   9.00 ERA there in 4 starts over 18 IP.

Last year Bundy was a top 10 pitcher in terms of swinging strikes. He’s in great company on that list, but unfortunately his ERA amongst that group sticks out like a sore thumb. I think it’s because his out pitches suck. His fastball is complete trash. I dunno how he does it.

He’s one big fix away from being a top pitcher in the league. I swear someone in the Orioles org has to know this.

I know nothing about pitching but I’ve always thought Bundys problem isn’t velocity but movement, as in there is none. His fastball is straight as a laser. If that’s correct, then bullpen or starter won’t matter and a few extra MPH won’t matter.

5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Last year Bundy was a top 10 pitcher in terms of swinging strikes. He’s in great company on that list, but unfortunately his ERA amongst that group sticks out like a sore thumb. I think it’s because his out pitches suck. His fastball is complete trash. I dunno how he does it.

He’s one big fix away from being a top pitcher in the league. I swear someone in the Orioles org has to know this.

How can you be in the top 10 in swinging strikes and have your out pitches suck?  Aren't pitches that hitters swing and miss at generally used as out pitches?

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How can you be in the top 10 in swinging strikes and have your out pitches suck?  Aren't pitches that hitters swing and miss at generally used as out pitches?

You tell me. His fastball grades out horrifically. Curve and change are awful. Only his slider grades out positively but even that is like 29th out of 40 pitchers.

Archived