2019 Mock Drafts

5 hours ago, sevastras said:

If you could take Abrams 1:1 for $3.25 under slot and then use some of that to keep Trejyn Fletcher from going to college, I would consider that a win.  Although I did see one mock of Fletcher going to AZ in the first round. I see him having Machado upside. 

I'm just not on Flechter the same way, I'd much rather go Rutschman/Seth Johnson (if the draft plays out like the mock). The only way it'd make sense to go Abrams (who I really like, but will need a swing change) IMO is if you could buy Allan, Malone, or Carroll down to 42. I probably still prefer the Rutschman/Johnson combo, but those combos would be similar in value by most evaluations. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can’t argue, Rutschman 1 is the best choice. I just think getting Abrams and Fletcher is like getting a #3 or #4 this year and a bonus top 5 pick that would have been next year or two years out. But I see Fletcher is moving up some boards pretty quickly now that he decided to go this draft. I really doubt this regime will disappoint me in the draft unless they go real crazy

41 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I can’t argue, Rutschman 1 is the best choice. I just think getting Abrams and Fletcher is like getting a #3 or #4 this year and a bonus top 5 pick that would have been next year or two years out. But I see Fletcher is moving up some boards pretty quickly now that he decided to go this draft. I really doubt this regime will disappoint me in the draft unless they go real crazy

D-backs worry me.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm just not on Flechter the same way, I'd much rather go Rutschman/Seth Johnson (if the draft plays out like the mock). The only way it'd make sense to go Abrams (who I really like, but will need a swing change) IMO is if you could buy Allan, Malone, or Carroll down to 42. I probably still prefer the Rutschman/Johnson combo, but those combos would be similar in value by most evaluations. 

Yeah I was surprised he wasn't in the mock. Rutschman/Johnson would be the ideal draft for me, hopefully the team is on Johnson too and other teams let him slide. 

36 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

Yeah I was surprised he wasn't in the mock. Rutschman/Johnson would be the ideal draft for me, hopefully the team is on Johnson too and other teams let him slide. 

He fits the type of pitcher that Elias seems to like, high 3/4 slot, two distinct breaking balls, velocity, spin. 

His lack of track record and below average present command and pitchability might make teams reluctant to take him with their first pick. I think he gets snatched in the comp round if he slides that far.

Perfect Game has their latest Mock available: https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=16353

orioles.jpg1. Baltimore Orioles | Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State
The usual whispers surround the 1:1 pick as we get close to the draft, with rumors of potential underslots and the like. It’s still believed that the pick will be Rutschman, who has the makings of a franchise-cornerstone type of catcher. 

royals.jpg2. Kansas City Royals | Bobby Witt Jr, SS, Colleyville Heritage HS (Texas)
Nothing has changed with the Royals mindset as they’re all locked in on Bobby Witt Jr should everything shake out as it’s predicted with Baltimore. Should the Orioles decide to go a different route than picking Rutschman then there’s reason to believe that Kansas City would have a much more difficult selection.

whitesox.jpg3. Chicago White Sox | CJ Abrams, ss, Blessed Trinity HS (Ga.)
Nothing is decided yet in most war rooms across the country, and this pick surely isn’t settled yet either, but some recent chatter states that the Sox are thinking heavily about Abrams here over presumed favorite Andrew Vaughn. 

636916139688568310-marlins19.jpg4. Miami Marlins | JJ Bleday, OF, Vanderbilt
The Miami Marlins scouting department have been all over the SEC Player of the Year as even Derek Jeter himself has been in to see the lefthanded slugger. Miami’s new scouting director DJ Svihlik coached at Vanderbilt before arriving in Miami and coached Bleday; CJ Abramsand Riley Greene would also be in play here.

tigers16.jpg5. Detroit Tigers | Andrew Vaughn, 1b, California
The Tigers are on bats, seemingly with a preference of the college bat variety. They’re believed to be high on Bleday and Vaughn along withRiley Greene, and in this scenario would likely be ecstatic if Vaughn were to fall, as he’s the top college bat in the class.

padres16.jpg6. San Diego Padres | Riley Greene, OF, Hagerty HS (Fla.)
Greene is the best prep bat in the class and AJ Preller has demonstrated how much he loves upside prep picks with the Padres’ first-round selections. Greene has undeniable upside with the legitimate possibility for a plus hit tool and game power. This would also be the floor for Georgia prep shortstop CJ Abrams at this point.

reds.jpg7. Cincinnati Reds | Nick Lodolo, LHP, TCU
The Reds seem to have a preference for arms at this pick, provided something crazy doesn’t happen ahead of them. While the college pitching crop has jockeyed back and forth for the top spot, TCU’s Lodolo seems to have the edge there right now.

rangers.jpg8. Texas Rangers | Hunter Bishop, OF, Arizona State
Texas is another team that loves athleticism and the pick remains the same with the Rangers grabbing Bishop at No. 8. The Rangers would love to see Abrams get to them though it’s extremely unlikely at this point and Corbin Carroll would be in play here too. Some teams below this are in on Bishop as well including the Braves at No. 9.

braves.jpg9. Atlanta Braves | Shea Langeliers, c, Baylor
Langeliers’ draft stock has seemingly bounced all the way back up to where it was in the preseason, as he’s established that he’s healthy after a hand injury early on. The Braves seem to be tied mostly to bats, but with Bishop gone this may be the guy for them.

giants.jpg10. San Francisco Giants | Bryson Stott, SS, UNLV
Stott has kept his stock steadily afloat and the Giants have identified the UNLV shortstop as one of their targets at 10. If the Giants were looking to go another route besides Storr they would be looking at college arms and would likely have their choice between Alek Manoah,Jackson Rutledge, Zack Thompson and George Kirby.

Fangraphs out with their third mock

1. Orioles – Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State
We think there’s a chance that a combination of Baltimore’s assessment of Rutschman’s medical and potential bonus pool savings might ultimately lead the Orioles to take Texas high school SS Bobby Witt or (less likely) Cal 1B Andrew Vaughn, but that those chances are pretty slim. GM Mike Elias saw Vaughn take pregame grounders at third base last week in a bid to show more versatility. We have Baltimore attached to high schoolers, like LHP Hunter Barco and SS Kyren Paris, with their second pick.

They then had them taking Hunter Barco (LHP, Bolles HS (FL)) at #42 and Ryan Pepiot (RHP, Butler) at #71 but didn't have any additional context on either. 

Luke had Barco #32 on his list yesterday.:

An early candidate to be near the top of the 2019 class, Barco has seen his stuff come and go. After a rough summer, he was 90-95 this spring from his low 3/4 slot. He has a solid slider and a really good changeup. He also has a prototypical pitcher’s build. The profile is a lot like a HS version of Nick Lodolo, slightly lower slot, better changeup, lessor breaking ball.

Kiley McDaniel is doing a chat at 12:45 p.m.

4 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

Fangraphs out with their third mock

They then had them taking Hunter Barco (LHP, Bolles HS (FL)) at #42 and Ryan Pepiot (RHP, Butler) at #71 but didn't have any additional context on either. 

Luke had Barco #32 on his list yesterday.:

Kiley McDaniel is doing a chat at 12:45 p.m.

Pepiot is a mature bodied college SP with premium spin rates but avg velocity. He’s on my 100 but I’m not sure exactly where he slots yet.

The other guy they mention for the O’s is Kyren Paris, who is pretty much the youngest guy in the draft class. I didn’t love the swing last summer but he’s a quick twitch athlete and has improved a lot by all reports. I can’t find any spring video though. He is in the 35-40 range on my list.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:00 AM, Luke-OH said:

It will be interesting to see what the orioles do with that second pick. Do they go college arm and add to the group of Gray-ROD, knight, and D.L. (who should all reach the Orioles at around the same time)?

Do they go after another H.S. pitcher and continue to tier pitching throughout the system?

Do they go H.S. or college Bat and try to infuse some position player talent into a farm system that is very dry in that category?

2 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

I’m more excited for picks 2 & 3 than I am pick 1... round 1 seems a foregone conclusion, an excellent conclusion, but there doesn’t seem a lot of suspense.

42, 71, and 78 should all be very interesting.

Archived