2019 Mock Drafts

https://2080baseball.com/2019/04/2019-mlb-draft-mock-draft-v1/

I loved this Nick Faleris blurb on Rutschman at #1 to the O's: 

1:1 Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C, Oregon State
Rutschman is the best player in college baseball and a no brainer selection for the Orioles. The switch-hitting backstop is currently slashing .429/.576/.800 (!) as an above-average up-the-middle defender, projecting to at least plus hit and power at the next level to go with plus actions behind the plate and a plus catch-and-throw game. He mashed with wood last summer with USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team, as well, slashing .321/.424/.500. Simply put, Rustchman is the easiest 1:1 selection since the Nationals won the Bryce Harper lottery in 2010. As a bonus, we already know he looks good in orange and black. –Nick Faleris

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

https://2080baseball.com/2019/04/2019-mlb-draft-mock-draft-v1/

I loved this Nick Faleris blurb on Rutschman at #1 to the O's: 

I just wanted to note that if anyone is particularly concerned about picking a catcher or whatever, Rutschman would be a lock for a top 3 overall pick even if he was a first baseman. The bat is that good. 

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I just wanted to note that if anyone is particularly concerned about picking a catcher or whatever, Rutschman would be a lock for a top 3 overall pick even if he was a first baseman. The bat is that good. 

Rustchman is clearly the best pick, and I really don't think anyone will really complain if we get him. 

2 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Rustchman is clearly the best pick, and I really don't think anyone will really complain if we get him. 

Rule #1 at the Hangout, someone will always complain.

My guess is they will be upset they picked a catcher and will pine for Witt.

A year ago I was not excited about picking a catcher 1:1 but now it is almost impossible to not have him as the favorite. I still really like CJ abrams, and would take him first if Rustchman weren’t in the draft, but he is raking this year. Those doubles from last year are turning into homeruns. I may be overly optimistic, but I can see him staying in the minors too long. 

13 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Wasn't Bryce announced as a "catcher" on his draft day before they put him on the grass for a clean shot at 12000 PA's?  Would you be tempted at all to see if he can Mookie?  Here I'm also remembering how badly Red Sox catchers hit last year.

I think they'll let him be who he is, but I think due diligence-wise it has to at least be a "Hey, what would you think about?" with him if the bat is that special.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Wasn't Bryce announced as a "catcher" on his draft day before they put him on the grass for a clean shot at 12000 PA's?  Would you be tempted at all to see if he can Mookie?  Here I'm also remembering how badly Red Sox catchers hit last year.

I think they'll let him be who he is, but I think due diligence-wise it has to at least be a "Hey, what would you think about?" with him if the bat is that special.

No.

Harper played catcher in HS and JUCO.  The Nats announced him as an outfielder.

8 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

He’s a good athlete, but he’s not going to be an good OF, just not fast enough. I’m sure he could play at least an average 3B with enough  reps, but you just don’t move a plus defender off one of the most difficult defensive positions for a position they haven’t really played. 

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:33 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

Does atomic post in this area of the boards?

• Luke-OH changed the title to Mock Drafts
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Vaughn's camp is worried that he could be the surprise drop of the draft, as this article is suggesting, he might be willing to sign well underslot to go 1-1.

I'd still rather have Rutschman but it makes for an interesting scenario.

My concern in that scenario is more about who they are targeting with the overslot and if they have sufficient backup options in case their top couple choices get snagged. 

If you could take Abrams 1:1 for $3.25 under slot and then use some of that to keep Trejyn Fletcher from going to college, I would consider that a win.  Although I did see one mock of Fletcher going to AZ in the first round. I see him having Machado upside. 

Archived