Austin Hays 2019

Frobby

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Hays trending up. Mountcastle trending down.  Neither one will take a walk but I still remember Hays' 2017 season. Oh, BTW, Mountcastle with 1 walk and 3 k's tonight.

Would almost take a walk over a hit for Mountcastle these days. He’s shown the latter isn’t an issue.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Hays trending up. Mountcastle trending down.  Neither one will take a walk but I still remember Hays' 2017 season. Oh, BTW, Mountcastle with 1 walk and 3 k's tonight.

This is Atomic level delusion about a player

7 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

In what sense? 

Desperate attempt to be right and have everyone see it despite doing absolutely 0 scouting and ignoring all the currently available reports. This is a thread about Austin Hays and he couldn't help but mention Mountcastle. I don't see how it's relevant to Hays to mention that Mountcastle had 3 Ks last night.

Edited by LTO's
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Desperate attempt to be right and have everyone see it despite doing absolutely 0 scouting and ignoring all the currently available reports. This is a thread about Austin Hays and he couldn't help but mention Mountcastle. I don't see how it's relevant to Hays to mention that Mountcastle had 3 Ks last night.

Who are you referring to with the zero scouting and ignoring all currently available reports part? 

I don't really know the history you are referring to with the desperate attempt to be right but I don't see why Mountcastle is irrelevant. They are two players in our system with similar approaches at the plate. One happens to offer value on defense, and happens to show slightly more ability to take a walk (Hays). Currently Mountcastle has the age factor on his side but then what Hays did at Bowie at 21 is far, far better than what Mountcastle did at Bowie at 21, so it is right not to forget Hays' 2017, because if he overcomes his injuries and shows anything like that performance again he is somebody to watch and very likely someone with more prospective value than Mountcastle. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Who are you referring to with the zero scouting and ignoring all currently available reports part? 

I don't really know the history you are referring to with the desperate attempt to be right but I don't see why Mountcastle is irrelevant. They are two players in our system with similar approaches at the plate. One happens to offer value on defense, and happens to show slightly more ability to take a walk (Hays). Currently Mountcastle has the age factor on his side but then what Hays did at Bowie at 21 is far, far better than what Mountcastle did at Bowie at 21, so it is right not to forget Hays' 2017, because if he overcomes his injuries and shows anything like that performance again he is somebody to watch and very likely someone with more prospective value than Mountcastle. 

The poster I originally responded to. He has a need make it known that he thinks Mountcastle will never be a good MLB hitter. That includes the Austin Hays thread for some reason. Hays was 22 in AA and only played in 64 games and has never sustained any level of success similar to that streak since. In fact, he repeated AA and was MUCH worse than Mountcastle. Mountcastle has always been regarded as a better prospect than Hays by actual scouts. I'll trust them.

Edited by LTO's

22 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I believe he's talking about RZNJ's near obsession that Mountcastle is going to be a bust because he doesn't walk.

For me personally, I think they will both end up solid major league players. Mountcastle is still very young for his age and if he had gone to college, this would have been his first full minor league season. 

As for Hays, while technically considered a 21-year old in 2017 (cut off date is June 30) he missed by five days of being considered a 22-year old for the that season (July 5th is his birthday) and it was his first full year like Mountcastle this year would have been had he gone to college. So really, you'd have to imagine Mountcastle in AA this year to be more accurate.

They are similar aggressive hitters, but Hays gets the nod for speed and defense while Mountcastle gets the nod for slightly more power and hit tool. 

I like them both a lot regardless of the lack of walks. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, LTO's said:

The poster I originally responded to. He has a need make it known that he thinks Mountcastle will never be a good MLB hitter. That includes the Austin Hays thread for some reason. Hays was 22 in AA and only played in 64 games and has never sustained any level of success similar to that streak since. In fact, he repeated AA and was MUCH worse than Mountcastle. Mountcastle has always been regarded as a better prospect than Hays by actual scouts. I'll trust them.

Funny, I could have sworn that Hays was universally higher rated after the 2017 season.    

I like both players.    In both cases, I wish they had better plate discipline, and believe that could be an impediment to their becoming major league regulars, or at least, it could limit their upside.    But, they will get their opportunities, and deservedly so.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Funny, I could have sworn that Hays was universally higher rated after the 2017 season.    

I like both players.    In both cases, I wish they had better plate discipline, and believe that could be an impediment to their becoming major league regulars, or at least, it could limit their upside.    But, they will get their opportunities, and deservedly so.

You are correct. Hays made into the top 50 I believe in some lists that season. However, his prospect status has been far more volatile whereas Mountcastle has been in/hovered around top 100 lists basically his entire career. Obviously that has a ton to do with Hays' injuries but unfortunately, staying healthy is part of the game.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No doubt. I would like them both to start walking alot more. If you play a premium defensive position like CF or SS, a lack of walks is acceptable, but not so much anywhere else. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

No doubt. I would like them both to start walking alot more. If you play a premium defensive position like CF or SS, a lack of walks is acceptable, but not so much anywhere else. 

So that rules out them moving to catcher. ?

I hope the instructors have moved away from forcing aggression on the young hitters.

52 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Luke seems to think Mountcastle has the talent to overcome his "over aggressiveness".  I find his walk totals amazingly low.  Guilty on the zero scouting part. Guilty of mentioning Mountcastle in an Austin Hays thread.  I don't see how any of it is delusional though.

Nice shot across my bow. Subtle. I can appreciate this kind of passive aggressiveness.

There is no doubt that the lack of walks limits the upside of both Hays and Mountcastle, but we can probably stop acting like Tony and Luke don't know about the issue. They're obviously weighing everything, including age, position, hit tool, power, etc. along with the walks.

I think Hays, if healthy, can be better than Adam Jones. That's pretty darn good, but not Mookie Betts good. I think Mountcastle would be worse, mostly because he doesn't have defensive value. I don't think the walks will be fatal to their profiles, but admit that I am concerned it will be a very big issue in the majors.

• Upvote 2