Austin Hays 2019

Frobby

14 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

There are 0 center fielders on the MLB team. I think he should get the call.

I agree he should have been called up, but I don't see him as a long term center fielder either. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems he's played more in right or left in the minors. I think Mullins, McKenna and Watson are our center fielders. I could see Hays holding it down for a year or two while McKenna or Watson make it to Baltimore.

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I agree he should have been called up, but I don't see him as a long term center fielder either. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems he's played more in right or left in the minors. I think Mullins, McKenna and Watson are our center fielders. I could see Hays holding it down for a year or two while McKenna or Watson make it to Baltimore.

According to BaseballReference.com in MiLB he has played 158 games in CF, 18 in LF and 118 in RF

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

I agree he should have been called up, but I don't see him as a long term center fielder either. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but it seems he's played more in right or left in the minors. 

I have the numbers in front of me. He has played more in center(158 games in center, 118 in right, 18 in left). If and when a better centerfielder like Mullins, McKenna or Watson proves to be a Major League hitter, Hays will move to right, but for now he is the Orioles best option in center.

That still doesn't tell me he's the long-term answer. I doubt Blair, Bumbry or Jones played almost half their minor league games in a corner spot. I agree with starting him in center in 2020, if he can hit and stay healthy, but I'm waiting on McKenna or Watson, with Hays or Diaz in right.

11 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

That still doesn't tell me he's the long-term answer. I doubt Blair, Bumbry or Jones played almost half their minor league games in a corner spot. I agree with starting him in center in 2020, if he can hit and stay healthy, but I'm waiting on McKenna or Watson, with Hays or Diaz in right.

Jones played more than half of his minor league games at shortstop. Blair and Bumbry's minor league outfield positions aren't maintained on Baseball Reference.

It obviously remains to be seen whether Hays is the long term answer at center, but that will be determined based on how well he plays in center at the big league level, where he is the current best option.

8 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Jones played more than half of his minor league games at shortstop. Blair and Bumbry's minor league outfield positions aren't maintained on Baseball Reference.

It obviously remains to be seen whether Hays is the long term answer at center, but that will be determined based on how well he plays in center at the big league level, where he is the current best option.

I'm more worried about him hitting and staying healthy.