Cashner Wants to Stay in Baltimore

TonySoprano

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I remember when Lee Mazilli was traded from the Mets(?)to the Rangers. He hated the trade and Texas and Texans and made no secret of it. Eric Soderholm had the same reaction when traded from the White Sox to Texas. They both played LOUSY as Rangers.

The best thing the Orioles can do -if the rules allow it, on which point I am unclear-is have a private chat with Cashner’s agent and find out where he’d be willing to go, and if the subject comes up in negotiations, the Os can specifically say that Cash is willing to go to that team.

thats not just good baseball-again, rules allowing-its courtesy.

That's probably Cashner's angle, trying to get input into his destination.

I mean if he genuinely likes being here after everything that happened last season, the way this season has gone and knowing throughout this entire season the team isn't going to be good, that takes a lot and I'm not going to knock the guy for it.  Honestly, more power to him.  Not that I expect they'd get much back for Cashner even if his performance does continue, but one of the first thoughts I had was maybe a San Diego reunion to provide some of that good old Orioles desired veteran presence.

28 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

I mean if he genuinely likes being here after everything that happened last season, the way this season has gone and knowing throughout this entire season the team is going to be good, that takes a lot and I'm not going to knock the guy for it.  Honestly, more power to him.  Not that I expect they'd get much back for Cashner even if his performance does continue, but one of the first thoughts I had was maybe a San Diego reunion to provide some of that good old Orioles desired veteran presence.

Actually, going back to San Diego makes sense for both him and for San Diego. Texas might actually be happy to have him too, they on the fringe of contention, and they might benefit from him

53 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Cashner has an 86 ERA+ with the Orioles and the Orioles are 32 - 150 since they signed Cashner. I don't see any evidence that he is a "positive force" in the clubhouse and I definitely do not think it will be a shame to lose the guy. Getting traded is part of being a baseball player. There's a good chance his family lives the majority of the year in Texas, so it doesn't involve a family relocation. I don't see how getting traded to a contender is a negative for Cashner and it is not even close to Adam Jones using his contractual rights to stay in Baltimore. 

Cashner had a lousy year in 2018 (80 ERA+), but he’s been very good so far this year (108 ERA+).    If you don’t see evidence that he’s a positive force in the clubhouse then I’m guessing that you only read the box scores and don’t watch the games.    Several other posters agreed with what I said based on what they see going on in the dugout on a nightly basis.   That’s why I say it will be a shame to lose him.  Not to mention, it’s already painful to watch our starting pitchers several nights a week, and having another hole in the rotation will make it that much more painful.   

None of what I’m saying is intended to argue against trading Cashner.  I’m certainly hoping he’ll be traded for younger players of value.   

PS — 62-150, not 32-150.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cashner had a lousy year in 2018 (80 ERA+), but he’s been very good so far this year (108 ERA+).    If you don’t see evidence that he’s a positive force in the clubhouse then I’m guessing that you only read the box scores and don’t watch the games.    Several other posters agreed with what I said based on what they see going on in the dugout on a nightly basis.   That’s why I say it will be a shame to lose him.  Not to mention, it’s already painful to watch our starting pitchers several nights a week, and having another hole in the rotation will make it that much more painful.   

None of what I’m saying is intended to argue against trading Cashner.  I’m certainly hoping he’ll be traded for younger players of value.   

PS — 62-150, not 32-150.

Yes, 62-150. Typo.

I don't think an 108 ERA+ is "very good".  He's had a few very good starts, but overall he's been pretty lucky. Cashner's BAbip for his last four starts is .246 and .212 for his last two starts. I guess it is fair to say that he has been "very good" relative to the other starters, but he could look like 2018 Cashner in a few blinks. 

What do you see going on in the dugout? A few shots of Cashner talking to other players? A few shots of Cashner laughing with other players? Maybe you hear Bordick saying what a great leader Cashner is? I think the "goings on in the dugout" stuff is pure fluff.  Saccharine for fandom. If he's teaching young pitchers a great changeup or something, then I would be a little more inclined to believe he was a positive force. The good clubhouse guy stuff is pretty much nonsense in my opinion. 

35 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

What do you see going on in the dugout? A few shots of Cashner talking to other players? A few shots of Cashner laughing with other players? Maybe you hear Bordick saying what a great leader Cashner is? I think the "goings on in the dugout" stuff is pure fluff.  Saccharine for fandom. If he's teaching young pitchers a great changeup or something, then I would be a little more inclined to believe he was a positive force. The good clubhouse guy stuff is pretty much nonsense in my opinion. 

I don't know about good clubhouse guys, but I definitely believe in clubhouse cancers, and I believe Cashner at the very least is not that.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I think this is right. Cashner is likely a free agent next year. If he stays in Baltimore, he's going to be a starter for the rest of the year and that'll help his market. If he goes to a playoff contender, it is likely he could end up in the bullpen.

He also definitely doesn't reach the innings requirement for his option to kick in if he's in the bullpen. 

Seems like this interview was something his agent cooked up. I can't imagine it made Elias happy.

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think this is right. Cashner is likely a free agent next year. If he stays in Baltimore, he's going to be a starter for the rest of the year and that'll help his market. If he goes to a playoff contender, it is likely he could end up in the bullpen.

He also definitely doesn't reach the innings requirement for his option to kick in if he's in the bullpen. 

Seems like this interview was something his agent cooked up. I can't imagine it made Elias happy.

He isn't going to reach the innings requirement.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He isn't going to reach the innings requirement.

The option kicks in if he gets to 187 innings. Unlikely, but not impossible. Going to the bullpen certainly removes all doubt

But, as I said, his primary motivation is likely to remain in a starting role.

Just now, theocean said:

The option kicks in if he gets to 187 innings. Unlikely, but not impossible. Going to the bullpen certainly removes all doubt

But, as I said, his primary motivation is likely to remain in a starting role.

No team is going to let that option vest.

Why did he do this interview?  Maybe....

*The Orioles, seeking to escape Andrew Cashner’s performance bonuses and $10 million vesting option for 2020, told teams in spring training they were willing to pay virtually all of the right-hander’s $8 million salary this season as part of a trade.

Cashner, 32, is 144 2/3 innings short of the combined 340 he needs in 2018-19 to vest his option, according to Cot’s Baseball Contracts. He also can collect bonuses that max out at $1.525 million if he makes 30 starts and $3.475 million if he pitches 200 innings.

9 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

So, the Orioles were willing to pay a team to take him. Yeah, sounds like the Orioles think he’s a great clubhouse presence. 

They might think he's Gandhi and Abe Lincoln rolled up into one, but that doesn't change the fact that he's 9-17, 5.09 with the O's and is making $9M playing on a last-place rebuilding team.