Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

Frobby

Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the Orioles to pick at 1-1?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/19 at 22:55

56 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

At his age he should be facing the best pitchers in the Big 12 every Friday night, not high school pitchers. Scouts can still see his tools, but he probably never has to make adjustments. How would he react if he had to?

And from what I have read he has had trouble hitting the best pitchers.  He has bust written all over him.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's a catcher so he isn't fleet of foot and will need more off days.

Yeah, he won't have the speed of an outfielder, but he's not slow either.  Rutschman also was a kicker for Oregon State football and once ran down Christian McCaffrey on a kick return.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it’s necessarily done with a pro career in mind.   Just to give a kid an advantage in youth/high school/college sports.    I should add, it’s not always sports that drive it.   My brother had twins (fraternal) and one was more developmentally advanced than the other.    His daughter stayed on the standard track but they held their son back a year to develop more.  

That is understandable.  My daughter is advanced and goes to top private school. I think her being born at end of August is a benefit as she will always be challenged academically.  I think people have the wrong priorities if they are doing it for sports.  The chances of someone having a pro career are remote.  Focusing on academics is a much much easier way to success.

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

He will turn 19 in June. I am guessing none of the kids you graduated with turned 19 in June of graduating year. If he were born in September you could go either way but June is a long time.  He will be between 3 month and 15 months older than everyone in his class.  

Actually more than a few. And my daughter just graduated and she turns 19 on the 19th. She wasn’t held back. Was validictorian. I graduated at 17 and was BY FAR the youngest of the class. I guess I’m just not understanding how a few months could make so much of a difference. 

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

And from what I have read he has had trouble hitting the best pitchers.  He has bust written all over him.

You are misunderstanding the reporting, he has lapses against, mediocre fastballs. He's thrived against top velocity. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's almost a year older than average for his grade.  He was born June 14, I was born June 19th.  I was pretty average for my grade, a guess a few months younger than average.  Witt is a year older at the same grade level than I was.  I registered for selective service and to vote after I graduated, he did it before his senior year.

I was 17 going on 18 at HS graduation.  About a year later, the summer after my college Freshman year, Jimmy Carter re-instituted Selective Service.  My son was born in December, so we first sent him to pre-school, making him one of the older kids in his Kindergarten class.  My wife did it to help him better socialize,  but I wouldn't doubt in Witt's case it was for sports.

I just read a June 1 article from Bleacher Report essentially saying there is no slam dunk no. 1 and that it could be Vaughn or Rutschman....whichever player signs for less.  Seems a little ridiculous to me considering one plays 1B and one plays C and their bats are evaluated to be at about the same level.  

I've read other articles saying Adley is the best amateur prospect to come along since Gerrit Cole or Bryce Harper.  Based on the data and the kind of season he is putting up in Oregon I can't imagine him not being the first overall pick.  

If we did go in a direction other than Adley, I can't imagine it being Vaughn when our best hitting prospect is already a 1B. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The only 19-year-olds that graduated with me were the ones who failed a grade.  I'm pretty sure a year or two before me someone graduated high school at 21. Athletics were not involved.

I agree. We had one guy that eventually dropped out at 21. I'm not even sure he was a senior though. 

Not sure about other states, but you are eligible for high school sports in Kentucky as long as you don't turn 19 before Aug. 1 of your senior year. We have quite a few who are 19 graduating and some almost 20. I would guess 18 is the average, even though some are 17.

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Not sure about other states, but you are eligible for high school sports in Kentucky as long as you don't turn 19 before Aug. 1 of your senior year. We have quite a few who are 19 graduating and some almost 20. I would guess 18 is the average, even though some are 17.

I don't think I graduated with any 19 year olds except people who repeated grades. The oldest kid I knew had an August birthday, so was 18 years 10 months when he graduated. I was 18 years 2 months, which was on the younger side. 17 was rare, but there were a couple kids I believe.