There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

https://www.mlb.com/news/latest-news-2019-mlb-draft?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Rutschman not going No. 1?

The night before the Draft is often a time for chatter about changes at the very top of the first round. And this year is no different.

All spring, Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman has been atop all talent rankings. And there was a general consensus that he should, and would, be the No. 1 pick. The Orioles, led by GM Mike Elias, are staying mum. Early on there was talk that they were looking at a large number of players, but it seemed likely Baltimore would go with the best player on the board, in Rutschman.

Now, about 24 hours before the first pick is announced, there is some buzz that the Orioles will not be taking the switch-hitting backstop. High-level scouts from two different teams picking later in the first round were insistent that Baltimore is not planning on taking Rutschman.

Could it be posturing? Absolutely. But there is some noise that things are up in the air in the Orioles' Draft room. Even if Rutschman isn't completely out of the mix, it sounds like the Orioles are seriously discussing numerous options. Cal first baseman Andrew Vaughn is considered one of the top two alternatives, followed by a relatively new name in terms of serious conversation: Vanderbilt outfielder JJ Bleday. And some feel Texas prep shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. is still a possibility.

It's too soon to make a definitive move in first-round projections, but this will be something we will continue to monitor closely as we work on our final mock drafts. -- Jonathan Mayo, June 2

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"High-level scouts from two different teams picking later in the first round were insistent that Baltimore is not planning on taking Rutschman." Names that appear as considerations are JJ Bleday, Andrew Vaughn and Bobby Witt Jr.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm just curious who it is that is running their mouths to these scouts?

Would seem to be the type of activity that could lead to termination.

Bleday’s advisor?

I have read a little about Vaughn and I'm not sure why everyone would be so mad if we took him. He is regarded by pretty much everyone as the best pure hitter in the class with above average power. I also read a lot about him having the best plate discipline of the class as well. There's apparently also injury concerns with Rutschman's shoulder? Vaughn is consistently ranked either #2 or #3 in this draft, so I wouldn't see it as being a bad choice at all. Why does everyone hate Vaughn and why are people not more concerned about Rutschman's injury history?

Just now, Sessh said:

I have read a little about Vaughn and I'm not sure why everyone would be so mad if we took him. He is regarded by pretty much everyone as the best pure hitter in the class with above average power. I also read a lot about him having the best plate discipline of the class as well. There's apparently also injury concerns with Rutschman's shoulder? Vaughn is consistently ranked either #2 or #3 in this draft, so I wouldn't see it as being a bad choice at all. Why does everyone hate Vaughn and why are people not more concerned about Rutschman's injury history?

He hurt his shoulder in HS and over three years of college he has shown no evidence of it being an issue.

Vaughn is a right handed, undersized first baseman who isn't even good at first and is slower than Rutschman.  While I believe in the bat but that is all he offers.  How bat isn't even clearly better than Rutschman's.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tomorrow is going to draaaaaaaaaaaaggggg.  Been waiting for almost a year for this.  I think by this time last year we had an idea that we could be picking 1:1. 

Just like right now we have an idea we may be picking 1:1 next year.  

Archived