2019 1st round pick (1): Adley Rutschman - Catcher - Oregon State University

Just now, jrobb21613 said:

Tony do you think that means there could be a position change coming? If so where?

That's a great question. That comment was the first I've heard of something like that. We will get a conference with Elias shortly and i will ask if no one beats me to it. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

That's a great question. That comment was the first I've heard of something like that. We will get a conference with Elias shortly and i will ask if no one beats me to it. 

Thanks personally with his bat I think its a great idea. My only concern with Rutschman was the fact he’s a catcher and wouldn’t get to play as much and less opportunity to make impact at plate.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He doesn't call pitches right?  Realistically how long does it take to develop that skill set?

A few days.

If he pays attention to baseball, it won't take long at all.

Have classroom discussions, talk to his pitcher, and let him make mistakes and the minor league coaches will let him know.

Coaches shouldn't be calling pitches unless they are IBB, HBP, PO, etc.  Coaches should be discussions approaches, not pitches per se.  Unless it goes like "Player 1" REALLY can't hit a curveball.

I die a little bit inside when I see catches looking over for pitch (not alignment) calls.  

Very very very teachable skill.  It becomes intuitive.  

He call every pitch as an Oriole.  Then have discussion.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Really interesting comment about how much they may want him to catch. Bares watching! 

Just  yet another indication that we just drafted a very special player.  No matter how this draft turns out, I’m convinced that Elias did the right thing. Kudos to Adley as the #1 Overall Pick!

• Upvote 1