2019 1st round pick (1): Adley Rutschman - Catcher - Oregon State University

Okay, so I am not all that fluent in my knowledge of how the draft works and one thing I would like to know is what happens in the event that Rutschman?Henderson don't sign? Do we just lose those picks entirely and don't get them back? Especially Rutschman.. do the Orioles get any compensation if he doesn't sign? How does it work?

Just now, Sessh said:

Okay, so I am not all that fluent in my knowledge of how the draft works and one thing I would like to know is what happens in the event that Rutschman?Henderson don't sign? Do we just lose those picks entirely and don't get them back? Especially Rutschman.. do the Orioles get any compensation if he doesn't sign? How does it work?

If a player selected in the first three rounds does not sign (after being offered a certain minimum contract from the team) then the team gets a non-protected compensatory pick in next year's draft that is one selection lower.  So if the O's make AR a minimum offer and he refuses it, they will get a non-protected pick at 1-2 next year.

If a player does not sign the team loses all slot money associated with his slot in this year's draft.

• Upvote 1

Rutschman is a done deal and Henderson is probably good as well.  Elias sounded confident on both.   Not sure if they are holding back the Rustcman announcement because

1) They want to make the announcement when the team is home

2) They are just giving him some time off after a long college season

3) or They want to sign Henderson first before his agent knows exactly how much money the O's have left.

I don't believe it's #3 as Elias strikes me as a guy who knew what Henderson's number was before they picked him.  I am confident that both sign.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If a player selected in the first three rounds does not sign (after being offered a certain minimum contract from the team) then the team gets a non-protected compensatory pick in next year's draft that is one selection lower.  So if the O's make AR a minimum offer and he refuses it, they will get a non-protected pick at 1-2 next year.

If a player does not sign the team loses all slot money associated with his slot in this year's draft.

I see. So then, if we get 1:1 again in 2020, we would actually get 1:1 and 1:2 in the 2020 draft?

5 hours ago, Sessh said:

I see. So then, if we get 1:1 again in 2020, we would actually get 1:1 and 1:2 in the 2020 draft?

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, it happened recently with the Astros.

It could happen that way, but it didn’t happen with the Astros.   The year they had the 1:2 comp pick (Bregman), they also had 1:5 (Kyle Tucker).   https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2015&query_type=year_round&from_type_jc=0&from_type_hs=0&from_type_4y=0&from_type_unk=0

On 6/21/2019 at 10:28 PM, Frobby said:

It could happen that way, but it didn’t happen with the Astros.   The year they had the 1:2 comp pick (Bregman), they also had 1:5 (Kyle Tucker).   https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?year_ID=2015&query_type=year_round&from_type_jc=0&from_type_hs=0&from_type_4y=0&from_type_unk=0

Same draft that Dillon Tate, Richie Martin, and DJ Stewart, were all 1st rd picks. 

logo image

Orioles, Adley Rutschman Close To Deal

June 24th, 2019 at 9:27am CST • By Steve Adams

The Orioles are close to a deal with No. 1 overall draft pick Adley Rutschman, reports Jon Heyman of MLB Network (via Twitter). The former Oregon State catcher’s No. 1 overall slot carries a value of $8.42MM. Rutschman isn’t the only top O’s pick on whom there’s news today, however; MLB.com’s Jim Callis reports (also via Twitter) that the team’s second-rounder, Gunnar Henderson, has agreed to a deal worth $2.3MM. A high school shortstop out of Alabama, Henderson will receive a bonus that is well north of his No. 42 selection’s $1.771MM slot value.

More to come

• Upvote 1