2019 6th round pick (168): Maverick Handley - C - (JR) Stanford CA

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Not quite understanding this one unless he is athletic enough to play elsewhere. 

Between this question and the apparent consternation around where Sisco fits now, it seems like some folks think we only need/want one catcher in our entire system.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You always need catchers at your various affiliates.

Spot on.  Also, they are a premium position to develop for future value, potentially.

Just now, Chavez Ravine said:

The picture is very close to the image I had in my head from his name. There is room for development there. I could see a Rollie Fingers.

Wow, you think he has a future 75 mustache? That could make him a real fan favorite, as most backup catchers tend to be.

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Between this question and the apparent consternation around where Sisco fits now, it seems like some folks think we only need/want one catcher in our entire system.

Spot on.  Also, they are a premium position to develop for future value, potentially.

We have a fair amount of catchers in the minors.  I would rather take a chance on an arm or someone that can play elsewhere.   

Pick a catcher later

Just now, Tony-OH said:

And best player available should almost always be the selection regardless of the position at this point in the draft.

Agreed but I would be surprised if this guy is so much better than the person below him that there is justification for his section.  That is unless Elias has determined there is some poorly measured value to having quality minor league catchers. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

We have a fair amount of catchers in the minors.  I would rather take a chance on an arm or someone that can play elsewhere.   

Pick a catcher later

Quite simply it's best player available at this point. Remember the year when we took Jonah Heim and Chance Sisco with the 4th and 2nd picks of the 2013 draft? Neither is our catcher of the future. 

Archived