2019 6th round pick (168): Maverick Handley - C - (JR) Stanford CA

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Quite simply it's best player available at this point. Remember the year when we took Jonah Heim and Chance Sisco with the 4th and 2nd picks of the 2013 draft? Neither is our catcher of the future. 

This far into draft I am doubting there is a significant difference between this and the next guy on their board.  Likely within the margin of error. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The year we drafted Chance Sisco in the 2nd round, we also drafted catchers in the 4th, 6th and 10th rounds.   

Doesn’t seem to have paid off as a strategy.  Moreover,  the past administration wasn’t exactly killing it in the draft.  We just took at catcher 1:1. Anyone being taken now is for a backup spot or trade at best.  I would have rather had another position but understand the sentiment. 

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Doesn’t seem to have paid off as a strategy.  Moreover,  the past administration wasn’t exactly killing it in the draft.  We just took at catcher 1:1. Anyone being taken now is for a backup spot or trade at best.  I would have rather had another position but understand the sentiment. 

I don't know what Elias is thinking, but rather than get angry about it, I'm just trying to ask myself what it is that he is thinking? Here's what I'm going with.

Elias is using this draft to help his pitchers. We have a few bats, but mostly guys who can catch the ball. We now have two catchers who are apparently very good defensively. This guy is a team captain. 

So is it more important to take a flyer on a mid-upside arm in the 6th, maybe a reliever for example, or is more important to make sure that Hall and Rodriguez are partnering with ML-quality leaders and backed up by slick, rangy, fielders? Would you rather have a 3-man high upside over slot draft with mediocre senior signs or a 2-man draft with 6-8 guys who have a shot to click but still offer value throughout our system?

I have no idea if that's what Elias is thinking, but it's plausible. 

Archived