2019 22nd round pick (648): Jake Lyons -RHP - (JR) Oklahoma State (OK)

• 3 weeks later...

Looked good in his first appearance in Aberdeen:  2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 4 K's.  

Worth pointing out that he's very age appropriate for the league.  Doesn't turn 21 until August. Like to hear some reports on his stuff.  His numbers at OK State were not impressive (reason he was likely available in the 22nd round) but his usage was all over the place.  Maybe if he sticks to 1-2 innings out of the bullpen and focuses on just two pitches he could end up being a MLB bullpen piece. 

At 6'5, 282 I imagine he at least has a decent fastball. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Five inning no-no last night!

"Lyons, 20, covered the first five innings, striking out five while throwing 41 of 61 pitches for strikes. He faced one over the minimum in the outing, with a leadoff walk in the third inning representing the lone blemish on his performance. It was Lyons’ third career start as a professional after the Orioles took him in the 22nd round of this year’s Draft out of Oklahoma State. Overall, the 6-foot-5 right-hander has compiled a 3.27 ERA with 27 strikeouts and two walks in 22 innings spanning outings."

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-prospects-throw-combined-no-hitter?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

EB0FxahWsAADjlJ?format=jpg&name=large

• Upvote 2

On 6/26/2019 at 10:27 PM, ChuckS said:

Looked good in his first appearance in Aberdeen:  2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 4 K's.  

Worth pointing out that he's very age appropriate for the league.  Doesn't turn 21 until August. Like to hear some reports on his stuff.  His numbers at OK State were not impressive (reason he was likely available in the 22nd round) but his usage was all over the place.  Maybe if he sticks to 1-2 innings out of the bullpen and focuses on just two pitches he could end up being a MLB bullpen piece. 

At 6'5, 282 I imagine he at least has a decent fastball. 

Per @Luke-OH in another thread on Aberdeen's rotation:

"I think the fastball velocity is lackluster as well. But yeah, I’m not writing the guy off on a bad report."