Orioles Summer Music Series

Going Underground

On 6/14/2019 at 7:42 PM, Going Underground said:

In 2004 ,they had a more diverse lineup of acts.This was held in a parking lot that is now that ugly hotel.

Fri., May 7   Pre-Game	 7:35   Cleveland  Lake Trout
Sat., May 8   Post Game	 4:35	Cleveland  The Damnwells

Fri., May 14  Pre-Game	 7:35	Anaheim    Kelly Bell Band
Sat., May 15  Post Game	 7:05	Anaheim    Eddie Money

Fri., June 4  Pre-Game	 7:35	Tampa Bay  Crushing Day
Sat., June 5  Post Game	 4:35	Tampa Bay  Psychedelic Furs

Fri., June 11 Pre-Game	 7:35	SF         Jah Works
Sat., June 12 Post Game	 3:15	SF         Jarflies

Fri., June 25 Pre-Game	 7:35	Atlanta    All Mighty Senators
Sat., June 26 Post Game	 4:35	Atlanta    Beatwater Tribute 

Fri., July 9  Pre-Game	 7:35	KC         The Radiators
Sat., July 10 Post Game	 4:35	KC         UC3

Fri., July 23 Pre-Game	 7:35	Minnesota  Gavin deGraw
Sat., July 24 Post Game	 6:05	Minnesota  Avion

Fri., Aug. 6  Pre-Game	 7:35	Texas      Juiced
Sat., Aug. 7  Post Game	 4:35	Texas      Cheap Trick

Fri., Aug. 20 Pre-Game	 7:35	Toronto    Faded Image
Sat., Aug. 21 Post Game	 4:35	Toronto    Vs. The Earth

This story was not 

We tried going to the game The Psychedelic Furs are supposed to play, but it was rained out. The stadium was empty when we got there.

Also, new country is hardly country. It's either pop music or it's rehashing 80s/90s stuff. Yawn.

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I remember seeing them at Bohagers. They played some song about elements on the periodic table that was a major ear worm and we were singing it for days after the show. Also saw Sebadoh and Pavement at Bohagers around 97/98ish. At that time it was very rare for Baltimore to land acts that big. I usually had to drive to DC or hope for a festival appearance. 

That's kind of funny. In about 2001/2002, my favorite DC venues were closing and all the punk bands would play Baltimore or Richmond.

Stephen Malkmus still plays shows here in Portland every so often.

I was just rereading the article about the 2004 concerts. I found this funny because of the Peter Angelos quote: 

"I'm not going to have it become some kind of honky-tonk for various and sundry rock 'n' roll bands," Angelos said in an interview on the topic four years ago.

The concerts are the first in a series of musical events in development as part of a plan to make Oriole Park at Camden Yards the premier venue for baseball as well as for special events and musical entertainment in the region.

Also forgot the Van Halen was schedules to play at Camden Yards in 2004.

The ill-fated deal marks a rocky beginning to the Orioles' efforts to bolster stadium revenue by bringing major shows to the 12-year-old ballpark. It won the right to do so three years ago in a hard-fought legal battle with the Maryland Stadium Authority. Industry experts contend the lawsuit could hamper negotiations with other bands.

The Van Halen show was slated for Sept. 2 when the Orioles are scheduled to play at Tampa Bay. It would have been the first major musical act booked at Oriole Park as a separate event. The Orioles have sponsored concerts before and after games as promotions, but they're free and held just outside the ballpark.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/bal/y2004/m04/d27/c730218.jsp

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2004-08-19-0408190018-story.html

20 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I was just rereading the article about the 2004 concerts. I found this funny because of the Peter Angelos quote: 

"I'm not going to have it become some kind of honky-tonk for various and sundry rock 'n' roll bands," Angelos said in an interview on the topic four years ago.

The ultimate old man, "GET OFF MY LAWN" quote from Peter Angelos!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dedwretched said:

That's kind of funny. In about 2001/2002, my favorite DC venues were closing and all the punk bands would play Baltimore or Richmond.

Stephen Malkmus still plays shows here in Portland every so often.

That makes sense, I think he lives in Portland now. I think my staples in DC were the Black Cat and the 9:30 Club. I never really went below that size of a venue. And the only place that seemed to be really attracting decent acts (at the time) in Baltimore was the 8x10, but I never really liked that place. Now that I think about it I'd say about 75% of the concerts that I've attended over the years have been in the DC Metro area. 

1 hour ago, dedwretched said:

We tried going to the game The Psychedelic Furs are supposed to play, but it was rained out. The stadium was empty when we got there.

Also, new country is hardly country. It's either pop music or it's rehashing 80s/90s stuff. Yawn.

It's MUCH worse than 80s pop music. Just the fake twang alone makes it worse. The lowest form of music on the totem pole right now IMO. 

I used to go a lot of shows at Sonar but it turned out it was just a front for drug dealing.  The reason Baltimore has a hard time attracting acts is IMP puts in all their contracts you can’t play Baltimore and they control, so many venues

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 4:02 PM, wildbillhiccup said:

It's MUCH worse than 80s pop music. Just the fake twang alone makes it worse. The lowest form of music on the totem pole right now IMO. 

My wife’s second favorite genre, next to spiritual pop a la SHINE FM. 

Religious pop is way way worse, I promise you. There’s only so many ways you can say the word Allelujah and none of them are interesting.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Religious pop is way way worse, I promise you. There’s only so many ways you can say the word Allelujah and none of them are interesting.

Sounds like you should balance that out with some death metal.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

There's other ways to say it...