Washington DC cable provider is dropping MASN July 1st.

fansince1988

27 minutes ago, Number5 said:

RCN decided to drop MSN from their Washington DC cable package.  Only you could see that as an Orioles' "move."

They didn’t agree on price.   

I’m pretty sure that the O’s recently (last 2 years or so) negotiated new long term deals with Comcast and Fios.    It looks like they offered the same terms to RCN but they wouldn’t agree.   It’ll be a bummer for a few thousand fans who use RCN, but isn’t really a “trend” in that Comcast and Fios are locked in for a good while and carry vastly  more subscribers than RCN.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

And what are the TV ratings for NBCW for Caps and Wizards games?  Every year they are below the Nats. 

They usually have the half year ratings for the RCN's around July 4th. Be interesting to see what the Orioles will be. Orioles did have a decrease last year of 56%. Not sure how much lower they can go in 2019.

5 hours ago, atomic said:

Most people aren't fans though. They shouldn't have to pay huge fees for something they never watch.

Most people aren't fans of a lot of cable channels that they get. Fox News charges the second highest carriage fee after ESPN. A large swath of the population has no interest in ESPN, another large swath has no interest in Fox News, and yet bundling is how cable is priced. If you want to go a la carte, drop your cable subscription.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Most people aren't fans of a lot of cable channels that they get. Fox News charges the second highest carriage fee after ESPN. A large swath of the population has no interest in ESPN, another large swath has no interest in Fox News, and yet bundling is how cable is priced. If you want to go a la carte, drop your cable subscription.

Fox news doesnt cost much.  Disney owns ESPN so they have more power. I have Slingtv for Disney JR and Nick JR.  I would never pay 100 a month for cable as most of it is completely wortless. Easy to watch MASN for free.

5 hours ago, eddie83 said:

And what are the TV ratings for NBCW for Caps and Wizards games?  Every year they are below the Nats. 

I find that hard to believe. In 2011 Nats drew 26k a game on MASN and the ORioles 24k a game. Probably back to those numbers this year

21 hours ago, weams said:

Cable is dead anyway. Kaput. Fin. It is no more. 

Cable isn't dead, and its not going away anytime soon (I hope). Its more reliable, provides a better picture, and is easier to use than any streaming service out there. 

Cutting the cord may force the cable companies to do what the cell phone companies did and start charging by usage and discontinue unlimited home internet service. They are going to get their $150-200/month one way or another.

Just now, fansince1988 said:

Cable isn't dead, and its not going away anytime soon (I hope). Its more reliable, provides a better picture, and is easier to use than any streaming service out there. 

Cutting the cord may force the cable companies to do what the cell phone companies did and start charging by usage and discontinue unlimited home internet service. They are going to get their $150-200/month one way or another.

Five G is almost here. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:41 PM, atomic said:

So this cable company has 15k customers in DC.  Small potatoes but I guess it has to start somewhere.  The greed of the Orioles on these deals is going to kill MASN.  

But MASN doesn't make any money so what could they possibly be fighting over? 

2 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

But MASN doesn't make any money so what could they possibly be fighting over? 

Nobody ever said MASN doesn’t make money.   We know exactly what they make, and have pretty much known it since the first RSDC decision was made public several years ago.     

• 1 month later...