Straily DFA'd, toiling at AAA

MurphDogg

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Mussina is throwing out the first pitch June 30....maybe he would then go do a side session and see about a contract.  

Actually, I'd be all for that. Seriously wonder whether he'd become our best middle-relief guy or opener.

30 minutes ago, AceKing said:

My kids went to a game recently (last homestand maybe)...and they swear they saw Broxton in CF with his cell phone in his glove.

At some point during the game.

I think that's cool--was probably getting some aerial positioning shots from a drone.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

Tate is no Otter.  They both tore labrums. 

That was nice to see. Had actually forgotten what his pitches looked like. The Rich Hill of his day, but as a closer. (Rich Hill--another one we gave up on too early, I guess because he has problems going 6 innings per start. Although to be fair it took him 4-5 seasons after being with us to right himself.) What I learned from this video is how well Olson hid the ball in his wind-up.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

That was nice to see. Had actually forgotten what his pitches looked like. The Rich Hill of his day, but as a closer. (Rich Hill--another one we gave up on too early, I guess because he has problems going 6 innings per start.) What I learned from this video is how well Olson hid the ball in his wind-up.

Hard to go six innings a start when you have a 7.8 ERA and are walking 6.2/9.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hard to go six innings a start when you have a 7.8 ERA and are walking 6.2/9.

He had had good seasons with the Cubs, was still young, and already had what was the probably the best curve in baseball. My point was that, unlike some teams, we're not good at rehabilitating talented pitchers that have hit a rough spot. It's no accident that he's become a mainstay of several top-level rotations since late 2015.

Also, Hill's problems going six innings have nothing to do with his inflated stats during 14 games with the O's. Even during the last few stellar seasons, including four ERAs under 3.00, his average innings per stat are closer to five than to six. Nonetheless, there have been playoff series when he was the team's #2 starter.

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

He had had good seasons with the Cubs, was still young, and already had what was the probably the best curve in baseball. My point was that, unlike some teams, we're not good at rehabilitating talented pitchers that have hit a rough spot. It's no accident that he's become a mainstay of several top-level rotations since late 2015.

Yep he was with the O's in 2009 and by 2015 was a mainstay of several top level rotations.  Of course in between he played for Boston, Cleveland, the Angels, Yankees, Boston again and the A's.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We'll figure out something to complain about here soon.

The talking cure (Freud). Catharsis (Aristotle). Complaining (Pente, from which is derived the phrase "letting go of pent-up feelings/gripes").

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep he was with the O's in 2009 and by 2015 was a mainstay of several top level rotations.  Of course in between he played for Boston, Cleveland, the Angels, Yankees, Boston again and the A's.

Boston and the A's were smart enough to come back to him and get good, crucial performances from him. Boston ERAs: 0 (8 innings); 1.83; 1.55. Oakland: 2.25 during a 9-3 season. Hill would have helped us when we were still contenders.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Boston and the A's were smart enough to come back to him and get good, crucial performances from him. Boston ERAs: 0 (8 innings); 1.83; 1.55. Oakland: 2.25 during a 9-3 season. Hill would have helped us when we were still contenders.

You are honestly suggesting that the O's should have kept 2009 Rich Hill for years while he was figuring things out so he would have been around in 2012-2016?  From 2010-2012 he pitched 32 innings for the Red Sox.  Then he was bad for Cleveland in 2013.  2014 he pitched under five innings.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are honestly suggesting that the O's should have kept 2009 Rich Hill for years while he was figuring things out so he would have been around in 2012-2016?  From 2010-2012 he pitched 32 innings for the Red Sox.  Then he was bad for Cleveland in 2013.  2014 he pitched under five innings.

I'm honestly suggesting that the O's, like Cleveland, had no cure for whatever was ailing Rich Hill. They weren't good at it, just like they missed the cure and/or potential of too, too many other talented or accomplished pitchers, the extraordinarily long list of which has been reiterated on this website countless times.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, but you have to look past the bad so you can get to the good. Pretty sure that’s what the Dodgers did.

Or, they rolled the dice.

4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Sure, but you have to look past the bad so you can get to the good. Pretty sure that’s what the Dodgers did.

Or, they rolled the dice.

Rolling the die is less daunting if the pitcher has come off good performances with two other teams the previous seasons. His salaries with the Dodgers have ranged from 6 million to the current 18.66 million. I think they believe their not-so-risky gamble paid off.