No Lou tonight, Payton in CF.

Big Mac

The Orioles know him that's my point. When are people going to start trusting the organization. I have nothing against the guy. What players have we not brought up in recent years that have amounted to a hill of beans. Every player they have been hesistant about has come to fruition. Liz, Olson, Hoey etc.

I certainly can't predict the future. Calling up a player because he is 26 years old doesn't accomplish anything if he can't play. Double A isn't the big leagues. What matters is who is here Opening Day 2009.

We haven't brought up Reimold or Bergy who are having very good years along with Berken. Olson IMO has done a good job here. Hoey has been injured and Liz has always had a rep of being wild and having some mechanical problems.

Sorry, but I just dont understand what you are trying to say. Lou can play, go take a look at his stats this year. Obviously double A isnt the bigs. Are you saying that even though someone is doing good they shouldn't get promoted?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, the scouts have raved about his physical ability and raw tools. That's all they ever rave about. That's what they said about Keith Reed too. But Tony has also said plenty of times that Reimold doesn't show nearly enough of the instincts and baseball knowledge that he needs. All along it's been about how he just needs to play. He just needs more experience so he can learn that. Well he's getting that at AA, which is where he's supposed to.

I'm all for playing young kids. But they've got to know what they're doing. Reimold just isn't there yet.

You keep comparing Reed and Reimold but that is an incredibly poor comparison, especially offensively...Reimold is CLEARLY ready, offensively, to be up here.

He is also good enough defensively...Again, he may fail in CF...I am not saying he is going to be a success...However, for the rest of the season, I want to see him in the lineup 4-6 times a week in Baltimore...If that means playing a lot of CF, so be it.

At his age and at this point in his career and in our season, no reaon he can't get that experience up here...with the best coaches.

Yes, the scouts have raved about his physical ability and raw tools. That's all they ever rave about. That's what they said about Keith Reed too. But Tony has also said plenty of times that Reimold doesn't show nearly enough of the instincts and baseball knowledge that he needs. All along it's been about how he just needs to play. He just needs more experience so he can learn that. Well he's getting that at AA, which is where he's supposed to.

I'm all for playing young kids. But they've got to know what they're doing. Reimold just isn't there yet.

I have heard this, verbatim, from a pretty darn reliable source myself.

Offensively, he's capable. Defensively, not so much.

That's not the point?

Come on, bud.

Have you been paying attention to everything Trembley & MacPhail have said since spring training? How many times have you heard the word "fundamentals" this season? That is absolutely the point.

Does "fundamentals" include atrocious base running and mental blunders? ;)

I am going to go by what some scouts and Tony has said...No offense but you have no credibility to me since I don't know anything about your knowledge.

And again, sliding Nick over to CF would be fine too.

The idea here is to get the young guys in the lineup. Besides, with days off and things like that, Reimold probably sees 3 or 4 games a week in CF, tops, per week...The rest of the time, he sees some time in LF and DH...maybe even throw in some first base and see if he can handle that in case you don't get Tex.

Lots of options and in a lost season, you find out what you have.

I'm not being a troll - but hasn't Tony said that he didn't think the Reimold was ready?

Guest Sailor Jerry
You keep comparing Reed and Reimold but that is an incredibly poor comparison, especially offensively...Reimold is CLEARLY ready, offensively, to be up here.

He is also good enough defensively...Again, he may fail in CF...I am not saying he is going to be a success...However, for the rest of the season, I want to see him in the lineup 4-6 times a week in Baltimore...If that means playing a lot of CF, so be it.

At his age and at this point in his career and in our season, no reaon he can't get that experience up here...with the best coaches.

Are you sure? Because the scouting reports I read and hear about say he misses on too many pitches, good and bad.

Good enough defensively? How do you know? You haven't seen him. Again, you're going by the reports of others, which highlight his raw tools.

The best coaches can work with him in the spring and help him learn how to play the game then. During the season everyone is there to win games. They're not there to experiment and dilly dally.

In many cases, playing young kids is a great idea. But playing kids who still don't have the full grasp of the game is what the minor leagues are for. You may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Does "fundamentals" include atrocious base running and mental blunders? ;)

Apparently so!

But the point is that is what they're after... and defense is a big part of that.

Reimold is a good example of that, IMO. If he was defensively capable, I think he would have gotten the call over Montanez.

I'm with SG on this.

There have been plenty of opportunites to get guys up here who figure to be a part of the future of the team.

Instead of doing that, we push back our progress in a year where it should be about getting these guys a chance. All we do is end up with more questions about who can do what.

We started the rebuild off on the right foot but it seems we're dragging those feet right now. It the same thing every August.

Anyone else care to answer this? I mean, you are all crying and whining that I want to see guys for the future and asked who am I talking about...Well, here is your answer.

So, who would you rather see tonight(and for the rest of the season)...Group A or Group B?

You want to see players at this level that are in YOUR best interests. The Orioles want players here that are in the teams or individual players best interests. Matt Weiters is the future catcher of the team whether he is here on August 5th, 2008 or not. It's not like he is going away. I personally see no point in calling a pitcher (Bergesen) straight out of Double A unless he can handle it. This is the big boys league. You act like if a player isn't on the current MLB roster it is an organizational indictment of them. There are all valid reasons they are not here. Reimold is playing everyday on a competitive team, he is not hurting not being here.

The future isn't going anywhere, the players who are apart of the future will be apart of the future when it's time. The future isn't present tense.

I'm not being a troll - but hasn't Tony said that he didn't think the Reimold was ready?

No..I believe Tony wants him here.

And Tony, even acknowledging the holes in his game(holes I am not disputing) has said he thinks he could be a 800-850 OPS guy...Tony doesn't think he is an everyday player...More like a 400 at bat type guy.

But, AGAIN, in a LOST SEASON, you find out what your young guys can do, especially at this time of year.

No..I believe Tony wants him here.

And Tony, even acknowledging the holes in his game(holes I am not disputing) has said he thinks he could be a 800-850 OPS guy...Tony doesn't think he is an everyday player...More like a 400 at bat type guy.

But, AGAIN, in a LOST SEASON, you find out what your young guys can do, especially at this time of year.

There's still time for this. If they don't give Reimold a look this year, I'll be disappointed.

Are you sure? Because the scouting reports I read and hear about say he misses on too many pitches, good and bad.

Good enough defensively? How do you know? You haven't seen him. Again, you're going by the reports of others, which highlight his raw tools.

The best coaches can work with him in the spring and help him learn how to play the game then. During the season everyone is there to win games. They're not there to experiment and dilly dally.

In many cases, playing young kids is a great idea. But playing kids who still don't have the full grasp of the game is what the minor leagues are for. You may not like it, but that's the way it is.

So I should ignore scouts and pay attention to you? Is that a joke or something?

I acknowledge the idea that he may struggle up here with things...But i don;t care...He should be up here, getting his feet wet, getting a feel for the majors and allowing the organization to see what he can do.

Maybe they determine he is a DH only...Or that he can play first.

Who knows? But again, i would rather see what he can do and then tell him what he has to work on over the winter.

I'm with SG on this.

There have been plenty of opportunites to get guys up here who figure to be a part of the future of the team.

Instead of doing that, we push back our progress in a year where it should be about getting these guys a chance. All we do is end up with more questions about who can do what.

We started the rebuild off on the right foot but it seems we're dragging those feet right now. It the same thing every August.

Yep....In a season that, for all intents and purposes, is over you find out what you have for your future.

Instead, we trot out a bunch of over the hill players who either aren't even going to be here NEXT YEAR or should be on the bench or whatever....We leave our young stud players, guys that will likely be apart of our future in the minors, while we continue to run out these guys.

Again, different year, different players but same argument.

I guess people are happy with not contending until 2012.

There's still time for this. If they don't give Reimold a look this year, I'll be disappointed.

I think I was pretty irked last year that he didn't get a look.

There was someone last year who everyone thought was going to get a September call up and were totally flabbergasted when they didn't. IIRC, it was Reimold.

If he doesn't get a look this year, it just says to me that he's not in the plans...

ZOMG Otter!!

I think I was pretty irked last year that he didn't get a look.

There was someone last year who everyone thought was going to get a September call up and were totally flabbergasted when they didn't. IIRC, it was Reimold.

If he doesn't get a look this year, it just says to me that he's not in the plans...

ZOMG Otter!!

What does that mean?

Archived