Halfway to Hell: My Mid-Season Grades

Frobby

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if you take away the really bad numbers the numbers that remain look better?

Hypothetically, if it turns out that Severino had to catch the so-bad-they-were-dumped O's pitchers more than Sisco, plausibly Yes. The possible counterargument that Sev "called" or "framed" the batting practice modes of such pitchers as Straily, Wotherspoon, and Hess would be equally hard to prove. But that hasn't been shown yet.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Time through the order penalty.  Basically regardless of pitch counts pitchers become less effective each time they face a hitter in a given game.  So by pulling him in the fifth it keeps the other team from seeing him a third time.

I am not really sold on this, especially if a pitcher is already pitching well and isn't showing signs of fatigue.  It's not like our bullpen is going to be any better than Means when he's pitching well, even if he's going thru the lineup a 3rd time.  Besides, why let David Hess pitch the 6th inning more often than Means?  

5 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I am not really sold on this, especially if a pitcher is already pitching well and isn't showing signs of fatigue.  It's not like our bullpen is going to be any better than Means when he's pitching well, even if he's going thru the lineup a 3rd time.  Besides, why let David Hess pitch the 6th inning more often than Means?  

You do know that John Means was coming off the IL to make this last start.  He went on the IL on June 20th with a STRAINED LEFT SHOULDER.  I think his first start back went well and he had an INNINGS WATCH on him.  We also do not know if his other short starts were for the same reasoning.  He also had only pitched 160 Innings last year so he is probably limited to 180 innings this year.  180 divided by 30 starts is equal to 6 innings per start.

16 hours ago, LA2 said:

I presume until proven otherwise that it is SSS noise, such as maybe he caught Hess and Straily more, Means less, etc. than Sisco. I expect the difference to diminish as the season wears on.

Means: 3.40 with Severino (12 games), 0.57 with Sisco (3)

Bundy: 6.25 with Severino, much better with Sucre and Wynns (Sisco hasn’t caught him).

Cashner: 4.50 with Severino (9 starts), 0.69 with Sisco (2)

Hess: 5.65 with Severino (4 starts), 4.50 with Sisco (1 start).   He was way worse with Wynns (9.85 in 5 games).

Straily: 9.00 ERA with Severino (11 games, 37 innings).   10.24 with Sucre (3 games, 9.2 innings).   Sisco only caught him once, for one shutout inning.    

Ynoa: 9.14 ERA with Severino (7 games), 4.91 with Sisco (2 games), also much better with Sucre and Wynns.

If Severino is a better defender than Sisco, it sure isn’t showing up in the pitchers’ results.   But yes, SSS.

Mancini should be a straight A.  Don't understand the -.

One has to like this little jolt that Mr. Sisco is providing the team.  IIRC, we were told there would be a lack of power in the bat by many scouts/analysts.  Bat speed and power look legit so far.

Love the write up Frobby, but I think you're being pretty tough on Nunez.

I know he had two homers last night since you wrote the initial post, but either way, I think its fair to say he's hitting way better than expected.

25 year old dude who had like 9 career home runs and a sub-100 career OPS+.  Now this season he's got a .783 OPS, he's belted 18 home runs before the All Star Game, and he's got a 106 OPS+.  

Give the poor guy a 'B' at least haha

18 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Orioles pitchers have thrown 22 consecutive scoreless innings.

o

o

The streak ended at 24.67 consecutive scoreless innings.

Gabriel Ynoa had what may have been his best game of the season this afternoon ........ but he gave up a run.

o

Archived