Orioles and the 2019 ASG (Mancini out, Means in)

BohKnowsBmore

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Means is two bad starts away from having a 4+ ERA. Mancini would need a way longer longer slump to not be an All Star. Idk feel like doing the numbers, but I bet a 7ER over 3 IP start would really push Means over a 4 ERA. Trey is top 10-15 in a lot of categories. 

Mancini doesn't need any sort of slump to not be an All-Star.  ?

Edit- Any one of you would take that shot if you had the chance.

Edited by Can_of_corn

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Means is two bad starts away from having a 4+ ERA. Mancini would need a way longer longer slump to not be an All Star. Idk feel like doing the numbers, but I bet a 7ER over 3 IP start would really push Means over a 4 ERA. Trey is top 10-15 in a lot of categories. 

He’d have to allow 14 ER in 3 innings to go over 4. 

• Upvote 2

I assume this means the prize money from any 2019 start of season contests for "Guess the Orioles token All-Star" rolls forward to 2020's competition.

As a bit of a pedigree snob, I'm still imagining Jeff Ballard type things in the medium term but would love to be wrong and for us to have found 10% of the answer to "How can the 2022 Orioles pitch 1500 innings competitively"?  In the meantime, enjoy the ride and big congrats to him for the year's pleasantest surprise.

I don’t understand the posters who believe Mancini is more deserving than Means. Mancini is 11th in the AL in fWAR among AL outfielders. Plus there is a league wide perception that power numbers for Orioles players are inflated due to Camden Yards. After all, three different Orioles led the AL in HRs four consecutive years earlier this decade. A starting pitcher putting up a 2.50 ERA in this ballpark is much more impressive.

37 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

When you started that thread on May 14th, the Orioles were in last place with a record of 14-26, and well on their way to what most Orioles fans expected (a horrible rebuilding season.)

Now the Orioles are 24-58, in last place, and well on their way to what most Orioles fans expected (a horrible rebuilding season.)

I don't see that much has changed between then and now. If you've lost interest in the subject, fine. I (and BohKnowsBmore) found it ironic.

o

I like feel good stories, and my original post was Stimulated by my enthusiasm for Means. Nate Mclouth Was an all star once, and Brad Brach, and an article about the guys who were one time all stars would probably be an interesting article and cover a whole lot of guys nobody’s ever heard of. So I liked the idea of Means getting a spot.

Since then the sad grind Of this awful team has reminded me of nothing so much as the Israelites’ 40-year slog through the desert. So I kinda lost interest in the AS game. It has been slowly deteriorating in quality for years, and There’s not really much reason to follow it: even the starters usually only get one at bat, Mike Trout is anointed MVP beforehand, And you need an enigma machine to decipher the box score when all is said and done. Its not ironic at all to lose interest in what is really just a Dog & Pony show.