2019-2020 International Signings Thread

26 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Why do we need so many shortstops? We have arguably a young great defensive shortstop. With our hard working coaches and his hard work will soon be the best hitting shortstop in the game.At least I was told that.

Because they are 16. !6 year olds can play pretty much anywhere

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

One of the things I like best about today is that no one knows anything about these players we just signed.  So there's no bitching about who we should have signed but didn't.  Everyone's just happy we got some young talent in the door.

They had a bigger pool than the Yankees, they should have given it all to Jasssson!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I wonder about that in any sport.  You have 16 year olds who are 6' 200 lbs and have been shaving for three years.  Then you have 16 year olds who are barely in puberty and are 5' 4", 120.  You draft the guy who hit his growth spurt at 13 and has been dominating kids who're physically inferior.  But does that mean he's going to better than the late bloomer at 19 or 25?

I read once something from Barry Melrose where he used to scout for Canadian Junior hockey teams signing 14 year olds.  He talked about stuff like seeing if they had facial hair and looking at their current frame and trying to figure out if they would grow bigger and stronger.   

36 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Why do we need so many shortstops? We have arguably a young great defensive shortstop. With our hard working coaches and his hard work will soon be the best hitting shortstop in the game.At least I was told that.

Not sure if this is rhetorical or snarky or an honest question. This is an age old recruiting technique. Recruit shortstops (who are usually the best athletes on any team) and then move them as needed. This is what Mike Martin did at FSU for 40 years. 

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

Not sure if this is rhetorical or snarky or an honest question. This is an age old recruiting technique. Recruit shortstops (who are usually the best athletes on any team) and then move them as needed. This is what Mike Martin did at FSU for 40 years. 

And if a kid projects to a corner position at 16 he'd better really hit.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

So, I'm not 100% sure, but a number of people are saying the international slot the Orioles traded to the Cubs is a 2019/20 slot and not a 2018/19. Considering the Cubs have already exceeded their budget by signing just 3 players, I'm starting to think that's likely true.

Did I miss something?  When did we trade an international slot to the Cubs?  And what did we get in return if we did trade it?  

40 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

All of the above. Just was listening to Bordick and Hunter hyping Richie Martin like he was a future superstar. 

5 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I looked up Dax Stubbs just because I liked the name and came across this article from December about how the Bahamas have emerged as a hotbed of baseball talent.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bahamas-producing-talented-baseball-players-c302131226

To save people time, mention of dax stubbs in last paragraph of the article just saying him along other names are the next wave of talent from the bahamas