Astros Designate AJ Reed

weams

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Reed was a top 20 BP prospect.  That's a guy you take a chance on.

Lots of top prospects don’t do well. Reed would be no outlier if he failed.

Prospects are all about potential. Some guys don’t reach that potential, no harm no foul, but no reason to take a chance on failed potential, especially when we already have plenty of our own.

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

These are the type of guys we should claim with our top waiver priority. Let’s face it we’re going to have this position for a long time. At least until OD next season.  Especially when a player has an option. 

I’d recall Carroll and 60 day DL him. Not worry about the money or the service time issues. 

Let Reed play 1B everyday in AAA Mountcastle playing LF. 

The Orioles have about a half dozen of these 1B/DH types at AAA and the majors right now. And there’s just as big of a logjam at corner OF. If they can’t play CF or middle infield or pitch, it should be an automatic no. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

What do you think it means that they have begun playing Mountcastle in left field?   Does it mean he was not doing very well at 1B defensively?

I don't know how he did or what they think of him at 1B but the couple times Elias mentioned trying him in the outfield it sounded to me like it was just to increase his versatility. If he's DH/1B/3B in a dire emergency he's not too valuable. If he can stand in LF also, not hurt the team too much, it at least gives the manager a little flexibility to get his bat in the lineup.

Looking at Norfolk boxscores for the last 3 weeks or so, they're still playing Mouncastle mostly at 1B. Maybe 2 starts a week in LF. One DH and *shudder* one game at 3B. 0 for 4 that day btw...

Club seems to only be "dabbling" in the OF experiment.

29 minutes ago, Philip said:

Lots of top prospects don’t do well. Reed would be no outlier if he failed.

Prospects are all about potential. Some guys don’t reach that potential, no harm no foul, but no reason to take a chance on failed potential, especially when we already have plenty of our own.

Trust me, I get it.  You don't have to lecture me on failed potential in baseball.  But guys who were once top 20 prospects in the game are a lot more likely to change scenery and become decent major leaguers than say the Orioles 20th best organizational prospect.

We are talking about a guy who put up an .850 OPS last year in AAA, and a .883 OPS the year before that.  That's not neccessarily failed potential.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Trust me, I get it.  You don't have to lecture me on failed potential in baseball.  But guys who were once top 20 prospects in the game are a lot more likely to change scenery and become decent major leaguers than say the Orioles 20th best organizational prospect.

We are talking about a guy who put up an .850 OPS last year in AAA, and a .883 OPS the year before that.  That's not neccessarily failed potential.

DD had almost a fetish for picking up "former 1st round picks." Can't really think of any major successes. Mostly just roster filler. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Which happens a lot whenever my memory is involved...

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

What do you think it means that they have begun playing Mountcastle in left field?   Does it mean he was not doing very well at 1B defensively?

He was fine at 1B. This is all about developing versatility and options for him defensively. He has more value in LF than 1B.

17 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Last year the Fresno Grizzlies (Astros AAA affiliate in 2018) had a team OPS of .823, so Reed putting up a .850 OPS isn't that special. 

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Last year the Fresno Grizzlies (Astros AAA affiliate in 2018) had a team OPS of .823, so Reed putting up a .850 OPS isn't that special. 

I’d bet he’d get instantly be leaps better than Chris Davis. Hopefully they are working on an exit/retirement deal with Chris. 

19 minutes ago, scOtt said:

DD had almost a fetish for picking up "former 1st round picks." Can't really think of any major successes. Mostly just roster filler. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Which happens a lot whenever my memory is involved...

What about Dwight Smith Jr recently. Heck, even Sisco failed at first and needed to back down. 

Just because a prospect fails and goes back to AAA, doesn’t mean they are done. 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I’d bet he’d get instantly be leaps better than Chris Davis. Hopefully they are working on an exit/retirement deal with Chris. 

Well he is the worst player in baseball. Elias knows Reed better than anyone in the organization, so Elias will try to acquire Reed if he thinks there is any potential there. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well he is the worst player in baseball. Elias knows Reed better than anyone in the organization, so Elias will try to acquire Reed if he thinks there is any potential there. 

I agree but it’s only part of the equation. They’d have to clear someone off the roster. Preferably the player who is failing in the same position 

Archived