Astros Designate AJ Reed

weams

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What about Dwight Smith Jr recently. Heck, even Sisco failed at first and needed to back down. 

Just because a prospect fails and goes back to AAA, doesn’t mean they are done. 

Smith is a good example. Beckham also comes to mind. Still no more than good roster filler.

It just sounds like Reed has no defensive skills. The way Hyde has to scramble to fill out a lineup this year we can't have the "luxury" of a DH only player, no matter how good he might hit. Heck, we could bring up Mouncastle if we wanted a most of the time DH.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Trust me, I get it.  You don't have to lecture me on failed potential in baseball.  But guys who were once top 20 prospects in the game are a lot more likely to change scenery and become decent major leaguers than say the Orioles 20th best organizational prospect.

We are talking about a guy who put up an .850 OPS last year in AAA, and a .883 OPS the year before that.  That's not neccessarily failed potential.

If we except that the Astros are one of the best teams in baseball at choosing, developing, and evaluating players, and the fact that they have given up on this guy has Extra significance. And even if he is acceptable, how many acceptable first baseman/DH guys do we already have? Who are arguably further along in their development and knocking on the door right now? No, I would rather hunt for pitching. And I wouldn’t mind finding a good third baseman either.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree but it’s only part of the equation. They’d have to clear someone off the roster. Preferably the player who is failing in the same position 

Agreed. I want to see some roster fireworks tomorrow. If Davis isn't going to last the season, next week is the time to cut him loose during the all star break.

I don't think him hitting home run last night makes a difference unless he hits 4+ home runs this week. 

32 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Trust me, I get it.  You don't have to lecture me on failed potential in baseball.  But guys who were once top 20 prospects in the game are a lot more likely to change scenery and become decent major leaguers than say the Orioles 20th best organizational prospect.

We are talking about a guy who put up an .850 OPS last year in AAA, and a .883 OPS the year before that.  That's not neccessarily failed potential.

Ps I didn’t mean to lecture you, and I am sorry if I came across that way.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

If we except that the Astros are one of the best teams in baseball at choosing, developing, and evaluating players, and the fact that they have given up on this guy has Extra significance. And even if he is acceptable, how many acceptable first baseman/DH guys do we already have? Who are arguably further along in their development and knocking on the door right now? No, I would rather hunt for pitching. And I wouldn’t mind finding a good third baseman either.

How would claiming Reed preclude the O's from still doing these things?

3 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You don’t skip a player because he doesn’t fit your needs. You take chances on players you think can be successful. That’s the bottom line.

Like someone said before, Elias drafted (and designated) this guy. So he knows him as well as anyone. I'll trust whatever he and his crew decide.

15 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agreed. I want to see some roster fireworks tomorrow. If Davis isn't going to last the season, next week is the time to cut him loose during the all star break.

I don't think him hitting home run last night makes a difference unless he hits 4+ home runs this week. 

It still shouldn’t make a difference. I don’t care if he hits a HR every time he comes up. He is not part of the future of the O’s. 

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

It still shouldn’t make a difference. I don’t care if he hits a HR every time he comes up. He is not part of the future of the O’s. 

Well... if he hit a HR EVERY time he'd be part of the future...

But you're right, a little hot streak here and there doesn't mean diddly.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Last year the Fresno Grizzlies (Astros AAA affiliate in 2018) had a team OPS of .823, so Reed putting up a .850 OPS isn't that special. 

1.  I realize the PCL has higher stats for hitters. Take out Reed from that team average and what do you have? Its improper weighting of the average as you are presenting it now.

2.  You tend to think that .030 isnt that significant but I will tell you what.  There is a big difference between a .270 hitter and a .300 hitter.

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

DD had almost a fetish for picking up "former 1st round picks." Can't really think of any major successes. Mostly just roster filler. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Which happens a lot whenever my memory is involved...

DD may have just been bad it.  That and being a former first rounder and being a BP top 50 prospect are two different things. In the division alone I would say:

Smoak, Hicks, Morton, Meadows, JD Martinez are all players who were once top 15-20 baseball prospects who were at one time considered "failed" or at the very least highly disappointing by their original organizations and have found success with a second.  Not all were DFA'd for sure, but all that werent were traded after being considered by many as not having met their potential.

Look I am not saying go after every player, but when you need talent in your organization I would point toward former top 50 prospects as a pretty damn good place to supplement the talent you acquire through the draft, free agency and trades.

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

How would claiming Reed preclude the O's from still doing these things?

It wouldn’t, of course, and I am surprised that you made that inference. I’m just saying that that should be their focus. The first thing we need is worthwhile pitching, but the last thing we need is another first baseman.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You don’t skip a player because he doesn’t fit your needs. You take chances on players you think can be successful. That’s the bottom line.

That’s not necessarily true, because when you pick somebody up you have to get rid of somebody else, so you have to not only think that the new guy is an ass that, but that he’s more of an asset than the guy you’re letting go. There is a risk involved in both decisions, and Reed Has given no indication that he is worth either one.

Archived