2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just as a point of information, the total comp owed to O’Day that the Braves took on was $15 mm, not $9 mm.

- $3 mm last two months of 2018

- $8 mm for 2019 (excluding $1 mm deferred)

- $4 mm deferred comp payable 2020-23.   

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/atlanta-braves-payroll.html

I think people are naive if they think that kind of money is unimportant to teams in the market position of the Orioles.   You can do a lot for the future of the team with $15 mm.

It's extremely important to a team in a rebuild. Extremely. 

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

The league is filled with weak willed GMs who are afraid to take risks but need to seem like they're doing something.

I'm actually starting to agree with this a bit. There are a bunch of teams (Dodgers, Yankees, Astros even Twins) who have a legit WS cores and refuse to really go for it. 

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'm actually starting to agree with this a bit. There are a bunch of teams (Dodgers, Yankees, Astros even Twins) who have a legit WS cores and refuse to really go for it. 

I imagine the calculus is preserving 90%+ postseason probability over the long haul yields more championships than pushing one season's probability from 18% to 24%.