Bradford traded to Tampa Bay for player to be named later

Tony-OH

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, if you feel you can replace him cheaper, why not? Maybe we might get a "C" level prospects with an upside, but those of you looking for Brignac or Hellickson type of guys are going to be sad when the player shows up.

I am not disagreeing with you but I just don't see AM willing to dump a guy with a sub 2.50 ERA...that is unless the Orioles are hurting for money.

But, if you feel you can replace him cheaper, why not? Maybe we might get a "C" level prospects with an upside, but those of you looking for Brignac or Hellickson type of guys are going to be sad when the player shows up.
I agree. Every team in the American League except for the Angels passed on claiming Bradford. I think it is amazing that teams like Detroit and Minnesota, with bullpens worse than the Orioles, didn't even bother to put in a waiver claim for a decent relief pitcher like Bradford.

Bradford was close to a type "A" relief pitcher last season, with better numbers this year. If the Rays gave up a low level prospect, it will be a good deal for them. It strengthens the end of their bullpen at a pretty cheap cost.

Now Orioles fans get a few months of speculating if the PTBNL is David Price or Reid Brignac. :D

Wasn't he type A when we got him? He's hardly regressed. Maybe I'm wrong, was he type B? OK then but still, it's a supplemental pick.

When he leaves after next season he'll be judged by this season and next season (previous 2 years). So if he has a similar season next year, he's a type A to me.

Just curious, would people be satisfied going into 09' with Zobrist as our SS?

Zobrist is 27 years old, 6'3-200... and is a switch-hitter.

In parts of three seasons in the majors (361 AB's) he's batted .208 with a .569 OPS...

At AAA this year he's hitting .366 in 71 AB's, and has a career minor league BA of .318 and minor league career OPS of .887.

We could do worse for Bradford.

When he leaves after next season he'll be judged by this season and next season (previous 2 years). So if he has a similar season next year, he's a type A to me.

Yup, that was my point. Seems odd we'd just give him up for nothing.

I wasn't saying we were going to get an Adam Stern type player and I think he has more value than Javy too. What I am saying is that if the player is on TBs 40 man roster and didn't clear waivers then we will have to wait for the player to be named until after the season, a la Adam Stern. Look for a player on the 40 man roster to come down with a mysterious injury.

As much as I liked Bradford, I am glad to see him gone.

The funny thing is that Tampa was the one that claimed Stern just to mess with the Red Sox so that's how he turned into a PTBNL. I wonder if they are worried the Sox would repay the favor...

Doesn't Bradford have an ERA under 2.5?

I would hope we get more for him than just a Scott Moore type.

Tony, do you know if the PTNL is already known or is there a list to choose from?

We gave up an early round pick to sign Bradford. It looks like my prediction that we would net equal production when dealing him will be wrong.

What is interesting is that Boston, New York, Chicago and Minnesota did not put in a claim for him. All teams vieing for a playoff spot.

Aren't waiver claims awarded on record for the previous season? Tampa had the worst record in the AL last season so they'd get first dibs. And like I said it wouldn't surprise me that the Red Sox blocked the trade to repay the Rays for the Javy deal hence the player had to be pulled back and made a PTBNL...

Archived