Mancini Drawing Interest

wildcard

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think Smoak would be a much better / cheaper target for the Rays if they want a 1B upgrade. I see them as being more interested in a rental then a long term piece, with Nate Lowe ready to take over at 1B as early as next year. 

As for the other teams you mentioned, the A's have Davis/Olson so no fit there, I have my doubts about Cleveland being a contender, and Texas needs pitching MUCH more than they need another bat. They have the 6th best offense in baseball and can't even find playing time for top prospects like Willie Calhoun. 

That's why Mancini makes even more sense for them.  He's got three arb years ahead, so even if they don't make the WC this year (a goal he would help them toward), he would add value in future years.

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think Smoak would be a much better / cheaper target for the Rays if they want a 1B upgrade. I see them as being more interested in a rental then a long term piece, with Nate Lowe ready to take over at 1B as early as next year. 

As for the other teams you mentioned, the A's have Davis/Olson so no fit there, I have my doubts about Cleveland being a contender, and Texas needs pitching MUCH more than they need another bat. They have the 6th best offense in baseball and can't even find playing time for top prospects like Willie Calhoun. 

Texas is a possible spot for Cashner. He’s already pitched for them once and he won’t be expensive.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Texas is a possible spot for Cashner. He’s already pitched for them once and he won’t be expensive.

Yep, I could see that being a fit. I don't know much about them, but they have some young arms in the top 100 prospects. I doubt Cashner commands that type of return though. 

30 minutes ago, Philip said:

So what? 1) are they the slightest bit interested in trading or Mancini? 2) would thy give anythingnfor him?

the Cards are stuck with Goldy regardless, but he’s almost certainly just dealing with a protracted slump.

sure, Mancini isn’t the worst 1B out there, maybe not even the worst RF out there( Not while Trumbo’s playing!) but so what? Which contending teams need what he has enough to make a meaningful offer?

we’ll see.

We have two different questions going on here.

1) Where might Mancini be traded at the deadline.

2) mdbdotcom asked which teams would Mancini be a starter at 1B.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Indians are reportedly shopping Trevor Bauer so you are correct. It probably takes an injury to a playoff teams 1B or DH for any significant trade market for Mancini to heat up. 

I think those rumors are carried over from the preseason when they didn't expect to content. It's going to be a MUCH harder sell to their fan base if they trade Bauer now when they're in 2nd place in their division. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think those rumors are carried over from the preseason when they didn't expect to content. It's going to be a MUCH harder sell to their fan base if they trade Bauer now when they're in 2nd place in their division. 

They won their division by 13 games last season.  Not sure how they weren't expected to contend heading into this year.

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

They won their division by 13 games last season.  Not sure how they weren't expected to contend heading into this year.

On paper they're offense was one of the worst (from top to bottom). Even with Carlos Santana having a career year it's terrible. Especially their OF. Maybe I was the only one who didn't think they could contend. You're right though, with the struggles of Ramirez, injuries to their SPs like Kluber, etc. it probably makes sense even more than before for them to sell. 

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

1) TB. Maybe Clev if they don’t sell. A “contender” with an injury to a 1B, DH, COF over the next month. Basically idk what Rosenthal is talking about, there doesn’t seem to be many landing spots that make sense. 

2). Who cares? That’s not the thread topic. 

19 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Maybe we all just misread the headline of this post. Maybe it was "Mancini's Drawing Interests". Is he into charcoal? or pens? or maybe he's more of a water color kinda guy. 

Seems like a pastels kinda guy to me.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Oh, I don’t think Mancini would be a starter on any contending team. The Royals, sure, but I don’t think a contending team would offer anything meaningful for him. I think we will trade him anyway, For several reasons all of which have been mentioned here, but I don’t think we will get anything in return

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I doubt the Indians are buyers this season

A few weeks ago, I would have agreed, but not now. They expect Kluber back in August and depending on treatment for Carrasco, we could be back near the end of the season, too. Add that to Bauer, Bieber, and Clevinger who is now back and that's a strong rotation for the postseason. The team also has the best bullpen ERA in baseball. The offense is the issue, but they won six straight after our back-to-back wins over them. They're only 5.5-games back of a Twins team that's hit a bit of a bump in the road and currently holding a wildcard spot.

I think this team will add, but not necessarily expiring contracts which makes Mancini an option. Putting Santana at DH to save him some wear and tear and Mancini at 1B (or even in the OF despite the defense given the lack of offense there) could be an interesting solution. The issue is, I think you end up with a couple of guys in short season ball right now from the Indians. Is that enough?

• Upvote 1

Are the Brewers an option? Aguilar has been better lately and Thames is an option at 1B, but we saw them acquire Schoop and Moustakas last year without a clear position for either. With Lorenzo Cain not hitting, would they limit his playing time despite the defense and slide Yelich to CF (where he played before in Miami)? If that's the case, Mancini could go to RF. The team is sputtering and could use an extra bat. It's not conventional nor what I would do, but given what the team did last year--and still got to the NLCS--I wouldn't be shocked if they made a play.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:26 PM, SteveA said:

I'll modify that slightly: "Mancini is not old, not overpriced, and offers plenty of control.  If you don't get good Vale for him, simply don't deal him".

I don't consider him "young" anymore.  He won't be "cheap" in arbitration either.  But he won't be super expensive.  I agree we shouldn't trade him for peanuts.  It has to be a good deal.

This is how I look at the situation. I'm not giving Mancini away, but if the right deal was offered I'd move him. Cashner is the only guy that needs to be moved because he's a pending free agent. You move Villar, Mancini, Bundy and Givens in the right deals.

• Upvote 2