Mancini Drawing Interest

wildcard

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It wasn't relevant at all, but thanks for trying.

Yeah just looking at that list briefly the Cardinals aren't going to play Mancini over Goldschmidt and the Padres aren't going to play Mancini over Hosmer no matter what the OPS figures are. 

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The team could be a lot better next season if things good the O's way.

SP - Means, Bundy, Cobb, Akin, Kremer.

RP - Harvey, Tate, Givens ???

OF - Mountcastle, Hays and Santander....Stewart

1B - Mancini

DH - Nunez

2B, SS and 3B ????  Alberto in there vs lefties.

Bundy could be gone. Penciling in Cobb at this point is hilarious. I like Akin, but he has a 4.44 ERA in a pitcher’s park in AAA. Elias will give Kremer, Lowther, Wells, and Zimmerman, a full season in AAA. They will be here in 2021 though. 

Harvey is one of my favorite players to follow but three outings in the bullpen doesn’t make him a sure thing. Tate needs to pitch well just to stay on the 40 man. Givens likely won’t be here. 

The lineup is coming together nicely. We still have a hole at SS. Will Davis be here?  Villar won’t be back. We have no 3B options. It’s Ruiz, that’s it. 

I can see the light for 2021. We’ll have the Bowie pitchers from this year up with a decent lineup with only question marks at SS, 3B, and 2B. 

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that we have the #1 pick in the 2021 draft as well. Next year’s team might be fun to watch but will have an equally flawed pitching staff. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

In 2017, 85 wins in the AL was "making the playoffs". In 2015, 86 wins was "making the playoffs" and 87 was "hosting the Wild Card game". An impressive feat without "contending".

Contending is winning the division.

The WC game is low-hanging fruit designed to encourage medium teams to “Go for it”. Sell the future for a chance at one single game.

No thanks.

”Contending” is having a legitimate chance at the division, and in the AL East, that’s 88-90 to contend. To actually won probably needs 4-6 more, but that’s what we should be aiming for.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bundy could be gone. Penciling in Cobb at this point is hilarious. I like Akin, but he has a 4.44 ERA in a pitcher’s park in AAA. Elias will give Kremer, Lowther, Wells, and Zimmerman, a full season in AAA. They will be here in 2021 though. 

Harvey is one of my favorite players to follow but three outings in the bullpen doesn’t make him a sure thing. Tate needs to pitch well just to stay on the 40 man. Givens likely won’t be here. 

The lineup is coming together nicely. We still have a hole at SS. Will Davis be here?  Villar won’t be back. We have no 3B options. It’s Ruiz, that’s it. 

I can see the light for 2021. We’ll have the Bowie pitchers from this year up with a decent lineup with only question marks at SS, 3B, and 2B. 

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that we have the #1 pick in the 2021 draft as well. Next year’s team might be fun to watch but will have an equally flawed pitching staff. 

Kremer has to be put on the  40 man this off season.  The other three at AA don't.

I said next year team could be better.  Not that it will be better.

I am not sure that Bundy and Givens are going anywhere.  That would be selling low.  Doesn't sound like Elias style to me.

10 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think you may be mixing things up a bit, as your analogy isn't particularly apt.  This isn't the case of gambler's fallacy. It's more like @MurphDogg is saying he would gladly bet on not-00 if someone offers him better than 1-37 odds (more like it would approaching 1-1 given he phrased it as O/U). 

A rotation  of Means, Cobb, Akin, ?, ? = 45-50 wins. 

Cobb even when healthy has been one of the worst SP in baseball for us. 

I want us to be good, but I just have to be a realist. It’s looking like 2022. 

Looking at contenders rosters, teams that have guys struggling at DH or 1B have guys on the bench that can step in and get more playing time.  The problem with these positions is anyone can play them.  If Mancini was just a bad outfielder he could be much more valuable.  But as he is absolutely horrible in the outfield his value is very low. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

The WC game is low-hanging fruit designed to encourage medium teams to “Go for it”. Sell the future for a chance at one single game.

No thanks.

”Contending” is having a legitimate chance at the division, and in the AL East, that’s 88-90 to contend. To actually won probably needs 4-6 more, but that’s what we should be aiming for.

Contending isn't winning the division. Contending, by definition doesn't require winning anything. The 2014 Giants would be shocked to learn that they weren't contenders despite winning the World Series. In fact, the World Series that year didn't have any contenders, since the Royals made the World Series after having beaten the Orioles in the ALCS.

20 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s a 1B and there’s nothing wrong with his defense there. He’s only playing COF here because of Davis and his albatross of a contract. 

He young, cheap, and under control for quite a while.

You ask for the moon...if you don’t get it you keep him. It’s a fairly simple formula.

So you're basically saying they shouldn't even shop him because no team is going to give them the moon for Trey Mancini. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Yeah but how many teams have purposely been trying to lose as many games as possible in the last 15 years?  If the team trades Cashner and Bundy and doesn't sign anyone legit to cover innings next year a less than 50 win season seems a given.  

That depends on who replaces them. And again, think about the defense. The offense>defense guys are still here but will be going away sooner rather than later. I think we’ve just about reached the bottom of the pile, and the arriving guys will soon be better than the departing guys.

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

Looking at contenders rosters, teams that have guys struggling at DH or 1B have guys on the bench that can step in and get more playing time.  The problem with these positions is anyone can play them.  If Mancini was just a bad outfielder he could be much more valuable.  But as he is absolutely horrible in the outfield his value is very low. 

The market dictates a players value just as much as the player himself...and there really aren't many contending teams where Mancini would be a a significant enough upgrade at DH or 1B for them to give up anything of value.I looked earlier and Cleveland was the only team that stood out. 

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

No thanks.

Yeah I definitely disagree with this definition. Contending is any team that feels it has a shot at making at the playoff, and that includes wildcard teams. If you want to break it down even further I'd say it's basically any team less then 6 games back for the division title or wildcard slot. Those are all "possible" contenders. 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Sorry you weren't able to name any teams where he would be the starting 1B..

Whether he would be starting 1B is a question answered by the individual team. Is Tampa happy with Gi-Man Choi, for instance? Everybody has a 1B, but it’s the easiest position to man. How many teams have solid prospects waiting for next year. We don’t know. And so on. No one can adequately answer the question without a lot of research.

Just wait and see who calls. I think he should be traded, but I have no illusions about a glorious return.

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

Whether he would be starting 1B is a question answered by the individual team. Is Tampa happy with Gi-Man Choi, for instance? Everybody has a 1B, but it’s the easiest position to man. How many teams have solid prospects waiting for next year. We don’t know. And so on. No one can adequately answer the question without a lot of research.

Just wait and see who calls. I think he should be traded, but I have no illusions about a glorious return.

Choi doesn't hit left-handed pitching at all.  Maybe trade for Mancini and platoon them. 

Archived