Tracking our 2019 draftee pitchers

Frobby

8.   Griffin McLarty - Aberdeen

9.   Connor Gillispie - Aberdeen

12.   Kade Strowd - Aberdeen

13.   Dan Hammer - hasn’t pitched yet.   Edit - debuted at Aberdeen 7/13.

15.   Kyle Martin - Aberdeen

16.   Shelton Perkins - Aberdeen

17.   Morgan McSweeney - Aberdeen

18.   Malachi Emond - Aberdeen

19.    Jensen Elliott - GCL

20.    Clayton McGinness - GCL

22.    Jake Lyons - Aberdeen

25.     Garrett Farmer - GCL

26.    Nick Roth - GCL

27.    Dillon McCollough - GCL

28.    Jonathan Pendergrast - GCL

29.    Houston Roth - hasn’t pitched yet.  (Edit - debuted at Aberdeen 7/13.)

30.    Dalton Stambaugh - GCL

31.    Jake Prizina - GCL

38.   Ben Pederson - hasn’t signed   

It’s interesting that Jake Lyons was assigned to Aberdeen, whereas the two pitchers drafted ahead of him were sent to the GCL.   So far in three appearances he’s done well, allowing 1 run (unearned) in 5 IP on 2 hits and no walks, striking out 6.   

Dan Hammer and Houston Roth signed late.    Hopefully, we’ll see them soon.

I’m not going to post stats this early, but overall the draftees have pitched well.    

• Upvote 3

I've been very pleasantly surprised by how well everyone has thrown so far. Just from my observations, I have seen very few earned runs but a lot of strikeouts. The one weird thing is I'm not sure if a for sure starting pitching prospect has jumped out at me. Almost every guy has thrown one maybe two inning outings. 

1 minute ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

I've been very pleasantly surprised by how well everyone has thrown so far. Just from my observations, I have seen very few earned runs but a lot of strikeouts. The one weird thing is I'm not sure if a for sure starting pitching prospect has jumped out at me. Almost every guy has thrown one maybe two inning outings. 

I think you'll see a number of them stretched out as the year goes on. 

McLarty, Gillispie, Elliot, Hammer and probably a couple others. 

I think Gillispie profiles better as a reliever, but they'll probably give him a go as a starter. 

13 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Aberdeen already had a rotation going by the time these guys were ready to pitch.    I won’t be surprised if a couple of them get inserted into the rotation after the initial group (Conroy, Magee, Litscher, Stauffer, Rodriguez) have been pitching for a while.    

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think you'll see a number of them stretched out as the year goes on. 

McLarty, Gillispie, Elliot, Hammer and probably a couple others. 

I think Gillispie profiles better as a reliever, but they'll probably give him a go as a starter. 

It will be interested to observe the trajectory of this class of pitchers. Because of the lack of bullpen talent in our minors, I think the guys who start out and stay as bullpen arms will progress through the system much faster than the guys who are given the opportunity to stick as a starter.

On 7/11/2019 at 2:08 PM, Frobby said:

Dan Hammer and Houston Roth signed late.    Hopefully, we’ll see them soon.

Hammer and Roth each pitched two shutout innings on Saturday for Aberdeen.    I’ve amended the OP accordingly. 

• Upvote 1

Stupid question: Ten of these pitchers were assigned to Aberdeen? Am I reading that correctly? I see on their MiLB page that the IronBirds appear to have 41 players that are currently active. Is this normal for that level of the minor leagues? I'd always assumed that minor league teams had about the same number of roster spots as the big league team. Has there been any thought to splitting the Aberdeen roster, and adding another affiliate in order to get guys more playing time?

Learn something new every day.

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Stupid question: Ten of these pitchers were assigned to Aberdeen? Am I reading that correctly? I see on their MiLB page that the IronBirds appear to have 41 players that are currently active. Is this normal for that level of the minor leagues? I'd always assumed that minor league teams had about the same number of roster spots as the big league team. Has there been any thought to splitting the Aberdeen roster, and adding another affiliate in order to get guys more playing time?

Learn something new every day.

From MiLB:

Class A Short-Season: New York-Penn, Northwest - 35 active. No more than three players on the Active List may have four or more years of prior Minor League service

The Ironbirds current roster had 35 Active, 5 on REHAB and 1 RESTRICTED.  The players status is listed on the website.

• Thanks 1

Elias is really loading our lower minors with a lot of names. I'm not sure how many are decent or better prospects, but the innings are hard to come by. I sort of scoffed at the idea of bringing Bluefield back, but it really does seem like we could use another affiliate at this point. 

14 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

imagine having two more drafts exactly like this one we just had. our minor league system would be over saturated with quality pitching prospects. 

Even moreso if Elias actually decides to draft pitchers in the first 10ish rounds!!   ;)

45 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

The extremely early, very unnecessary pitching stat update:

Rixyisv.png

Yes, very very early, but you gotta like the high strikeout numbers. You would think, if anything, two or three of these guys will be future bullpen studs for the orioles.

33 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The good news:  our GCL team is leading the league at 12-3.

The bad news:  we are probably 12-3 because our GCL team is loaded with college players, because we don't have room for them all at Aberdeen.

NCAA players had more data for our analytics people to go off of.  We not only have to "trust the process" we have to trust the analytic projections.  I think that's also why we haven't seen a lot of promotions this season, we're building a statistical baseline to go off of.  Changing leagues, home ball parks, etc..., means more variables in the analytics.  

• Upvote 1