PressBox: Is He Number Two?

weams

"You could probably argue based on pure tools, Adley Rutschman two I think," Callis said. "... I had a scout tell me even if he couldn't catch, he would turn him in as Mark Teixeira. So, I mean, Mark Teixeira behind the plate would be pretty good."

36 minutes ago, weams said:

"You could probably argue based on pure tools, Adley Rutschman two I think," Callis said. "... I had a scout tell me even if he couldn't catch, he would turn him in as Mark Teixeira. So, I mean, Mark Teixeira behind the plate would be pretty good."

Mark Teixeira at 1st would be pretty sweet too.  Sign me up for either.

• Thanks 1

I just...I dunno.  That's exciting and nice to hear.  I'm stoked about Rutschman, no doubt about it.  He's the player I wanted ever since the 2018 CWS. 

I can't figure out what I'm trying to say so I'll just leave it at this.  Post Wieters, I'm just trying to temper expectations as much as I can.   And I'm not calling Wieters a bust by any stretch but I think most of us can agree that he wasn't the "Mauer with power" guy that we thought we were getting after his ridiculous minor league seasons.  

It's cool to see the Orioles have someone so highly thought of but I'm taking it for what it is...which ain't much, IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just...I dunno.  That's exciting and nice to hear.  I'm stoked about Rutschman, no doubt about it.  He's the player I wanted ever since the 2018 CWS. 

I can't figure out what I'm trying to say so I'll just leave it at this.  Post Wieters, I'm just trying to temper expectations as much as I can.   And I'm not calling Wieters a bust by any stretch but I think most of us can agree that he wasn't the "Mauer with power" guy that we thought we were getting after his ridiculous minor league seasons.  

It's cool to see the Orioles have someone so highly thought of but I'm taking it for what it is...which ain't much, IMO.

Once every 10 years we get a top prospect who fully lives up to expectations.    Manny was a breath of fresh air in that regard.   You could see him play 2 or 3 times a few weeks after his 20th birthday and fully understand what all the hype had been about.   Before Manny, you’d have to go back to Markakis.    Let’s hope Rutschman is that guy, because expectations are sky high.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, weams said:

So that means that in 2029 Rutschman is a free agent and he gives an interview about how he would love to come home to the Mariners, but then signs with the Yanks and can't stop talking about how he's been a Yanks fan ever since he was a kid and wore his ARod jersey to the park in Seattle.  And the Mariners' version of JTrea loses his ever loving mind talking about how there won't be any more catchers on the market until 2035 and there's no way to compete ever again just as the Mariners unexpectedly have the best record in the league for five years.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Once every 10 years we get a top prospect who fully lives up to expectations.    Manny was a breath of fresh air in that regard.   You could see him play 2 or 3 times a few weeks after his 20th birthday and fully understand what all the hype had been about.   Before Manny, you’d have to go back to Markakis.    Let’s hope Rutschman is that guy, because expectations are sky high.   

If only Nick had lived up to 2008.

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If only Nick had lived up to 2008.

If he’d done that, he actually would have exceeded the expectations from when he was a prospect.   But yeah, it was somewhat disappointing to see him peak at 24.