Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

The stats these guys are putting up in the DSL are largely irrelevant to me. I trust the scouting and find it encouraging that they are scouting other teams' DSL squads. Shows they truly are invested in improving this pipeline. Villar and Givens have come out the of the gate hot, hopefully they are next. 

The Tigers were closing in on first place. The O's had to make a move to secure first place in the draft next year. Withoug Cashner, Orioles are in the driver's seat now. Cashner pitching every five games for the O"s was killing the franchise and he was a gift to the Tigers. 

The reaction to this trade on social media is amazing. You would have thought we traded a former Cy Young winner not a a guy who completely outperformed his peripherals in 2017 who we never should have signed to a multi-year deal in the first place. His xFIP in 2017 was 5.30 yet we still paid for his 3.40 era. We're also talking about a guy has an average swinging strike rate below 8% over the last 7 years. Unless you're Greg Maddux you're not going to be an effective pitcher in this era with those numbers. It stinks we had to get eat some of his contract, but getting anything in return for Cashner was a god send. And maybe if Duquette and Brady had actually done something with all that international money they acquired they wouldn't have had to make this trade. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The reaction to this trade on social media is amazing. You would have thought we traded a former Cy Young winner not a a guy who completely outperformed his peripherals in 2017 who we never should have signed to a multi-year deal in the first place. His xFIP in 2017 was 5.30 yet we still paid for his 3.40 era. We're also talking about a guy has an average swinging strike rate below 8% over the last 7 years. Unless you're Greg Maddux you're not going to be an effective pitcher in this era with those numbers. It stinks we had to get eat some of his contract, but getting anything in return for Cashner was a god send. And maybe if Duquette and Brady had actually done something with all that international money they acquired they wouldn't have had to make this trade. 

While I do think they overpaid I don't think it is fair to say they paid for his 3.4 ERA.  

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

So 10 days would push out to the 24th. That would give him a week to pitch a whopper that might convince a team to take a chance. I doubt they will give Bundy away to dump him off the roster and I doubt teams price will go up based on the fact that he might deal with a nagging knee injury the rest of the way.

Just my 2 cents .....you could be right

I think Bundy is here through next deadline. 

What the heck are the Tigers and Royals doing?  How are we gaining ground on them?  If one team flirts with the worst record of all time, MLB won’t do anything. If three teams flirt with that, we might see a reactionary change for the draft. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Lance Lynn had to settle for a one year deal that off season so yes I think they significantly overpaid. 

Two year deal at a one win/yr cost.  Yea it's more than I would have wanted to give but it isn't 30 year old coming off a 3.4 ERA money.

16 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Here's hoping he sabotages the Sox pennant drive and returns to form.  I'll have felt like we made a great trade if Cashner goes to Boston, gets hammered around and ends up losing more than he wins.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Right, but it's the old strength in numbers.  You get as much young talent as possible.  The odds are the same but your chances increase.  

I agree with the approach but I still think they could've gotten at least one guy that was more advanced that projected as a major leaguer. I think this was done hastily. I wonder if Elias put out there to all clubs that he was taking offers and would be moved in a week. 

As I said I'm good with the deal and trust the guys making these decisions now. It's more important that we have the #1 than have Cashner the rest of  Ge season.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here's hoping he sabotages the Sox pennant drive and returns to form.  I'll have felt like we made a great trade if Cashner goes to Boston, gets hammered around and ends up losing more than he wins.  

I don't see the point of wishing bad on Cashner. I hope the Red Sox and the Yankees lose everyday. But I appreciate what Cash has done for the Orioles at a very reasonable price and wish him success.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree with the approach but I still think they could've gotten at least one guy that was more advanced that projected as a major leaguer. I think this was done hastily. I wonder if Elias put out there to all clubs that he was taking offers and would be moved in a week. 

As I said I'm good with the deal and trust the guys making these decisions now. It's more important that we have the #1 than have Cashner the rest of  Ge season.

I think they put a lot of thought into this.  Everyone was praising the FO for drafting/signing 18 y o Gunnar Henderson. 

Why not view these guys the same way?