Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

I just dont get it.  If you keep him, do you think they are going to pick up his option next year?  What if his option kicks in and he is untradeable next year?  Might as well get something then have it end like Adam Jones where you watch someone because you know his name and get nothing in return.  Yes, I know Jones refused to be traded but keeping Cashner just to eat innings the rest of the year and let him walk is plain moronic.

55 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I just dont get it.  If you keep him, do you think they are going to pick up his option next year?  What if his option kicks in and he is untradeable next year?  Might as well get something then have it end like Adam Jones where you watch someone because you know his name and get nothing in return.  Yes, I know Jones refused to be traded but keeping Cashner just to eat innings the rest of the year and let him walk is plain moronic.

Exactly. They weren't going to pay him 10 million next year so he was gonna walk after this season. Better to get something for him and Eshelman can take his starts for the next few months. 

No sense in keeping someone to win 52 games instead of 50.

• Upvote 1

It looks like Kansas City traded Homer Bailey for Merrill, whose MiLB numbers and reputation look very similar to Richie Martin.  Would people prefer a player of Riches profile, or two lottery tickets that could be anywhere on the prospect charts? 

3 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

He made 17 starts this year with a FIP  slightly above his career number. No GM changed his valuation on him because of this. He’s got a 10 year track record...one ok streak isn’t moving the needle. 

Well one just gave to 2 Prospects to get him and another didn't place him on waivers. And this was done in a season where many pitchers are complaining about juiced baseball and hone runs are through the roof.

The Royals have traded right-handed pitcher Homer Bailey to the Oakland Athletics, according to ESPN reporter Jeff PassanAccording to Jeffery Flanagan, the Royals will receive middle infielder Kevin Merrell. The 23-year old was a former first round pick, selected 33rd overall in the 2017 draft out of the University of South Florida. He hit .246/.292/.339 with two home runs and 13 steals in 82 games for AA Midland this season. Merrell hits for very little power and draws few walks, but he did hit .384 in his junior year at South Florida and shows some very good speed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.royalsreview.com/platform/amp/2019/7/14/20693845/royals-trade-homer-bailey-to-oakland

So, would you rather have had this guy than the two DSL players?   Cashner is a bit better than Bailey, so I’d say we could have gotten Merrell or someone a little better for him.    

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.royalsreview.com/platform/amp/2019/7/14/20693845/royals-trade-homer-bailey-to-oakland

So, would you rather have had this guy than the two DSL players?   Cashner is a bit better than Bailey, so I’d say we could have gotten Merrell or someone a little better for him.    

No hell no. 

Give me the unknown 17 year olds who still have a chance to be something interesting. 

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Wow ...Cashner had a 5.00+ ERA last year and a 3.83 this year. It doesn't take a genius to figure why he was trade this you and no one wanted him on a waiver claim last.

I read that Cashner credits his better year to the advanced metric information pushed by the Elias regime.

I also read that the Red Sox liked both prospects the O's picked up.  Prado had approximately as many K's as BB's and has played all 3 outfield positions with an intriguing mix of power and speed. 

Noelberth Romero has a really cool first name has some tools too.  Listed as a utility infielder, word is his arm strength should be enough to have him play up the middle.  Sounds like his defensive skills are ahead of his offensive skills though he has shown a little pop but not as much as Prado.

Both need to add some weight to their 6' frames.  Prado tips the scales at 160 while Romero is 145. 

Red Sox GM Eddie Romero: "I know these guys are far off, but it hurt. When they were coming up with these names, they weren’t guys that we were hoping they’d asked for..."       

I like the move of rolling the dice on upside youth rather than middling older prospects who don't present much upside (ala the Homer Bailey trade)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

I read that Cashner credits his better year to the advanced metric information pushed by the Elias regime.

I also read that the Red Sox liked both prospects the O's picked up.  Prado had approximately as many K's as BB's and has played all 3 outfield positions with an intriguing mix of power and speed. 

Noelberth Romero has a really cool first name has some tools too.  Listed as a utility infielder, word is his arm strength should be enough to have him play up the middle.  Sounds like his defensive skills are ahead of his offensive skills though he has shown a little pop but not as much as Prado.

Both need to add some weight to their 6' frames.  Prado tips the scales at 160 while Romero is 145. 

Red Sox GM Eddie Romero: "I know these guys are far off, but it hurt. When they were coming up with these names, they weren’t guys that we were hoping they’d asked for..."       

I like the move of rolling the dice on upside youth rather than middling older prospects who don't present much upside (ala the Homer Bailey trade)

"We thought they'd be the Orioles and just ask for our spare part AA guys like usual... dang."

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

ROFL.  You guys are living in a world that doesn't have any basis on reality at all.  Homer Bailey has a total of -1.5 WAR the last 3 years and Cashner has 7.9 WAR during the same period of time. This year Homer Bailey has 0.8 WAR and Cashner has 2.6 WAR. I mean are you going to compare Mike Wright to Justin Verlander next.  Totally ridiculous.  I mean throwing out ridiculous comparison's to try and give credence to anything bad move Elias does is really sad. 

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

ROFL.  You guys are living in a world that doesn't have any basis on reality at all.  Homer Bailey has a total of -1.5 WAR the last 3 years and Cashner has 7.9 WAR during the same period of time. This year Homer Bailey has 0.8 WAR and Cashner has 2.6 WAR. I mean are you going to compare Mike Wright to Justin Verlander next.  Totally ridiculous.  I mean throwing out ridiculous comparison's to try and give credence to anything bad move Elias does is really sad. 

You're way off the mark here with your Verlander / Wright analogy. Both Bailey and Cashner are both bad pitchers who have gotten extremely lucky this year. Teams are looking at advanced metrics like xFIP, Sierra, and Swinging Strike Rate and all of those indicate both are and have been very bad pitchers. I'd be amazed if Cashner keeps his era under 5.00 for the second half of the year. He doesn't miss enough bats to be a successful MLB pitcher for any sustained length of time. His 2017 was a complete fluke and teams know that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I would be talking out of the wrong end if I commented on the future status of the two players coming back in this deal, so I'm ok with that part of the deal. The only thing I guess I'm disappointed in is the amount of money Baltimore still has to pay. 

26 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You're way off the mark here with your Verlander / Wright analogy. Both Bailey and Cashner are both bad pitchers who have gotten extremely lucky this year. Teams are looking at advanced metrics like xFIP, Sierra, and Swinging Strike Rate and all of those indicate both are and have been very bad pitchers. I'd be amazed if Cashner keeps his era under 5.00 for the second half of the year. He doesn't miss enough bats to be a successful MLB pitcher for any sustained length of time. His 2017 was a complete fluke and teams know that. 

Cashner has been lucky for three years and Bailey has been unlucky for 3 years has he?  ROFL.  You guys are really reaching for things.  This might be the worst comparison of players I have ever seen.  You guys just don't know anything about baseball . 

• Downvote 1

So I just scrolled through 26 pages and didn't see a single video of either of these kids nor anyone who has watched them play speak to their ability or inability.  Only thing I saw was signing bonuses.  Red Sox, like the Yankees are huge in the international scene and are limited by the signing limit restriction.  I would venture to say most kids want to play for the Red Sox or Yankees if you had to take a poll.  These kids probably have several friends who play in the organizations of those teams.  These guys have been in contact with the Red Sox since probably 14.  I find only the top 20 or so prospects sign for me than what these kids did.  To me, it is quite a valid assumption that the Red Sox could have gotten these guys at a discount due to who they are and their reputation in the international community.  Also, as was pointed out, many talented MLB all stars have signed for similar bonuses. I'm with all the other folks that this is a lottery, I trust the evaluators until they give me reason not to, and I think it is better than getting a few guys who will be at best AAAA/AAA starters and emergency fill-in at big league level.  Hope to see them at minors Spring Training next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

No, I think we already lead all organizations in young SS's with no power.  

• Haha 1