Who is next?

mcloy

52 minutes ago, Chito said:

Oh well.

Good. The Royals “strengthen” their rotation, which helps us for the #1 pick. Also, what’s the point of getting back a player with only 2.5 years of control left?  This is a long rebuild. We don’t need 30 year olds. Hopefully Villar nets us a DSL prospect. 

The Cubs are starting to sure up their roster for a run. They shed Montgomery’s salary and picked up Catching depth in Maldonado. Their looking to add a LH reliever and a vet IF bat. Villar fits the latter need. 

Elias can show off his true genius and sign guys from the 2018 international market by trading away players on the current team. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Cubs are starting to sure up their roster for a run. They shed Montgomery’s salary and picked up Catching depth in Maldonado. Their looking to add a LH reliever and a vet IF bat. Villar fits the latter need. 

Elias can show off his true genius and sign guys from the 2018 international market by trading away players on the current team. 

I'd be asking for Morel or Giambrone and a couple of the young international guys.

oeBrady

13 hours ago

Selling off everything that isn’t nailed down is the modern approach, but it doesn’t do much for competitiveness.
————————————————-
1-It helps the long-term competitiveness. If small market teams don’t occasionally sell off and finish last, then they have no chance of ever finishing 1st. Teams like KC, TB, SD, etc., don’t and like will never have room for a $200M payroll.

2-The competitiveness of these teams were in doubt whether they sell off or not. BA & TO held onto Machado & Donaldson, and a number of smaller pieces, way, way too long. It didn’t help them. They didn’t win, and they didn’t draw in any extra fans. BA lost 464,000 tickets last year, and TO lost 879,000.

Losing Givens will have virtually no impact on BA’s 2019 competitiveness.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Dodgers just lost UTIL IF Chris Taylor for 4-6 weeks. Villar could be insurance to cover that role. 

Would the Dodgers really want an expensive player like Villar to fill a UTI role? 

What is there situation in regards to the luxury tax?

Villar is a trade able asset with one more year of control. The Os won’t give him away as a salary dump.

unlike others hear, I don’t see anyway that his contract is not picked for next year if he isn’t traded.

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Would the Dodgers really want an expensive player like Villar to fill a UTI role? 

Villar is a trade able asset with one more year of control. The Os won’t give him away as a salary dump.

unlike others hear, I don’t see anyway that his contract is not picked for next year if he isn’t traded.

The Orioles won't tender him a contract this next season.  So get something. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

I'd be down for that.  Montgomery would be decent option to pair with an opener too. 

10 hours ago, interloper said:

Yeah he's got starter experience so that's never bad in our situation. Gotta get that extra young player to make it with it but yeah the Cubs need a bat.

There's absolutely no world / scenario in which it makes sense for a rebuilding team to waste a trade chip on a 30 year old pitcher. The only exception would be if we were absorbing salary in order to get back a better and/or more prospects. Every trade we make should be for young prospects, not aging veterans. Starting pitchers can be signed cheap in the off season to one year deals if they need to fill out the rotation next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Dodgers just lost UTIL IF Chris Taylor for 4-6 weeks. Villar could be insurance to cover that role. 

They have a 15 game lead and just got Pollock and Seager back. I don't think they're exactly in desperation mode yet. They can basically just put their team on auto pilot and focus on getting everyone healthy for the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Here’s my thinking with paying our player’s remaining salary to get a better return...  We’re basically just paying the same amount of money that the team(Ex. Red Sox) paid to sign the DSL guys. So we’re just giving them money for the money they spent just a year ago. 

A lot of people miss that point about Yusniel Diaz. He cost the Dodgers around $30 million to sign. $15.5 million in a signing bonus, and then $15.5 million in penalties. $30 million. How often have we spent that on FA?  Well we got Diaz. 

So Villar is owed around $2 million for the remainder of the season. Well if we pay that and get back a player in the DSL that signed for 500k plus, well then we basically are just paying for that player and the chance to evaluate them. 

I don’t view that as getting fleeced like people thought in the Cashner trade. I view that as smart and basically a way to make up for not signing guys in the international market previously. Plus we’re getting players back with a high ceiling versus someone that already has a ceiling of a UTIL IF/COF/2nd C/Reliever. 

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

There's absolutely no world / scenario in which it makes sense for a rebuilding team to waste a trade chip on a 30 year old pitcher. The only exception would be if we were absorbing salary in order to get back a better and/or more prospects. Every trade we make should be for young prospects, not aging veterans. Starting pitchers can be signed cheap in the off season to one year deals if they need to fill out the rotation next year. 

You must have missed the part where I said Montgomery plus a teenage prospect similar to the Cashner trade. The idea was Villar for the young player, add in Montgomery so you have someone to eat innings for the next year or two.

Either way it didn't happen.