Givens market heating up

Moose Milligan

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We also exposed a glaring hole in the nets bullpen.

This year's O's and Nats are two of three teams this century to have a bullpen with an ERA over 6.00.  So far, of course.  The other being the 2007 Rays.

The Nats are the only one of those teams that legitimately tried to assemble the bullpen of a contender and ended up with an ERA that high.  The last NL team to have a bullpen ERA higher than this year's Nats was the 1938 Phillies, who went 45-105 and played in a ballpark that was 280 to RF and 300 to RC..

3 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

I'd love for a team to have interest in Givens and Villar/Mancini and do a package deal. I think it could actually bring back some solid value. 

The Nats in particular are desperate, and they're also sitting atop the wild card standings. If I were them, I'd consider trying to get a couple of guys from the same team. An offer for Givens and a guy like Fry, or Yacobonis, shouldn't be outside of what they're considering. If adding that extra arm allows us to increment the return, I'd be in favor.

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It was a good night for our trade bait, but a bad night for draft position. We’re now tied with Detroit in the W column, but have a 2.0 game lead in the L column for the #1 overall pick. We’re also now on pace to win 49.5 games. We also exposed a glaring hole in the nets bullpen.

The giants are making a run.  Now all but the Marlins are within 5.0 GB of the WC2 in the NL.  Everyone has been predicting CLEV to sell but they have 3.0 game cushion to host the WC game. It’s already helped us, and can only continue, that the aggressive Sox are 2.0 GB from a playoff spot at the moment. 

Right now it’s not the extreme buyer’s market that all the experts predicted. BOS and NYY, are going to make moves. Those teams behind BOS would love to stand pat, but I think they have to keep up. 

With all that being said, I don’t think Givens value is as low as it was. We’d probably get equal value, but definitely would not be selling low. 

The silver lining to having so little talent is that the O's have so many glaring needs, so it is likely that we'll be thrilled with whoever we can get at 1:2 or 1:1.  If 1:1 is a potential front line starting pitcher, maybe 1:2 can be a great SS or CF prospect.  

6 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The silver lining to having so little talent is that the O's have so many glaring needs, so it is likely that we'll be thrilled with whoever we can get at 1:2 or 1:1.  If 1:1 is a potential front line starting pitcher, maybe 1:2 can be a great SS or CF prospect.  

Elias and co. drafted Bregman #2 and Epstein drafted Bryant there as well. And that's just recently. There's plenty of history of 1:2 picks being cornerstones. To endure this season and not get the first pick would be a bit of a disappointment though.

34 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The top 3 looks pretty darn strong next year. The pitcher (Hancock) could end up a bona fide ace if things fall right. Torkelson has a huge bat, but not much positional value. Martin looks like he'll be SS/3B with offensive projection. All could fail, of course. That's the benefit of having the #1 slot $$, so we can take more highly rated guys.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I didn't think their farm system is that great.

As Elias has stated, he isn’t looking for elite prospects in return for his trade pieces. Everyone is clear on what type of value even the best Orioles player has at this point. Instead, the goal of Elias at this deadline is to acquire talent from the lower levels of the minor leagues, including more young, international prospects, similar to the two pieces acquired for Andrew Cashner.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/birdswatcher.com/2019/07/18/baltimore-orioles-rumors-intriguing-pursuer-mychal-givens/amp/

25 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'm all for the lower level, higher upside, higher risk approach. With that in mind, would someone like Jeremy De La Rosa be an option from the Nationals?

Givens value per the one I pasted this morning said one organizational top 10, one DSL type, and a 3rd player based on the number of teams involved.

De La Rosa, Adon, and a DSL Kid sounds fair

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Givens value per the one I pasted this morning said one organizational top 10, one DSL type, and a 3rd player based on the number of teams involved.

De La Rosa, Adon, and a DSL Kid sounds fair

Two weeks till the deadline basically. A lot of teams are going to see how it goes and make up their minds closer to the deadline. Givens has been hot. Things could really change in our favor by the 31st or we could just hang onto Givens and deal him in the offseason. The only player we should just take what we can get, us Villar. 

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Two weeks till the deadline basically. A lot of teams are going to see how it goes and make up their minds closer to the deadline. Givens has been hot. Things could really change in our favor by the 31st or we could just hang onto Givens and deal him in the offseason. The only player we should just take what we can get, us Villar. 

Agree with everything but the last statement. Fangraphs rates Villar the 12th best 2B. I thought he was middle of the pack. You have another year of control. 

I think they should DL Martin, them rehab, and recall when roster expands. He’s been on the roster long enough to cover the service time. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

As Elias has stated, he isn’t looking for elite prospects in return for his trade pieces. Everyone is clear on what type of value even the best Orioles player has at this point. Instead, the goal of Elias at this deadline is to acquire talent from the lower levels of the minor leagues, including more young, international prospects, similar to the two pieces acquired for Andrew Cashner.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/birdswatcher.com/2019/07/18/baltimore-orioles-rumors-intriguing-pursuer-mychal-givens/amp/

Where did Elias say that?