Must Read: Review of the Baysox rotation

Frobby

Just now, interloper said:

How about

#7. Development

Can development also happen in September in Baltimore?  Or in the majors in general?  I think so.  Not calling for a promotion, but I think that with a team like the Orioles it's all development, all the time, at every level including the majors.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, interloper said:

How about

#7. Development

He has 97 innings with maybe 4 starts remaining. So, that might put him at 120 innings. He had 137 last season. How does cutting him off at 120 innings, instead of letting him pitch in September, help his development?

How would bringing him up impede his development?

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He has 97 innings with maybe 4 starts remaining. So, that might put him at 120 innings. He had 137 last season. How does cutting him off at 120 innings, instead of letting him pitch in September, help his development?

How would bringing him up impede his development?

Good points.  I guess it depends on how hard he gets hit.

Bringing him up in September to make, say, two starts or a handful of relief appearances also doesn't guarantee him a spot out of Spring Training next year. You can send him back to Norfolk again if you feel it's merited (or you want to play the service time game).

I don't think there's really a wrong answer here with Akin.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Which should be done in the minors.  The numbers I cited show he has not dominated at AAA yet.

How many young back of rotation starters in MLB dominated AAA?

The stats you listed as reasons not to bring him up are virtually the same as Max Fried's AAA stats from last season.

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

How many young back of rotation starters in MLB dominated AAA?

The stats you listed as reasons not to bring him up are virtually the same as Max Fried's AAA stats from last season.

He pretty much dominated at AA in 2018.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think they all spend some time at AAA and I agree they will not be promoted until Elias judges they are ready.   But Elias may judge some of them ready  sometime in 2020. 

I am reminded about the Bowie staff of 2008: Bergesen, Berken, Hernandez and Tillman.   All were at Bowie throughout 2008; all made their major league debut sometime in 2009, along with Matusz, who hadn’t even pitched in the minors after being drafted in 2008.

Bergesen: April 21

Berken: May 26

Hernandez: May 28

Tillman: July 29

Matusz: August 4

Frankly, I hope we don’t push the current Bowie crop that quickly.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Which should be done in the minors.  The numbers I cited show he has not dominated at AAA yet.

Why. Also, I don't believe much in development. They either have "it" or they don't. Development get you a Caleb Joseph career. Having talent gets you a Trout deal. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

You want reasons. I will give you reasons.

1) 4.36 ERA at AAA.  

2) 1.49 WHIP at AAA.

3) 6.14 ERA  vs lefties at AAA

4) 1.77 WHIP vs lefties at AAA 

5) Elias is not a big believer.  Didn't invite him to ST.

6) Service time

He is not ready for the majors yet.

These two do not compute. 

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am reminded about the Bowie staff of 2008: Bergesen, Berken, Hernandez and Tillman.   All were at Bowie throughout 2008; all made their major league debut sometime in 2009, along with Matusz, who hadn’t even pitched in the minors after being drafted in 2008.

Bergesen: April 21

Berken: May 26

Hernandez: May 28

Tillman: July 29

Matusz: August 4

Frankly, I hope we don’t push the current Bowie crop that quickly.

Yes, they shouldn't be promoted until they are ready.   Whenever that is.  I just think some of them  may be ready in the 2nd half of next season.

Archived