Adley Rutschman 2019

Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Any chance AR goes to the AFL in a few months?

A chance, sure. But I'm guessing they'll take it easy on him after he's done with Aberdeen or Delmarva, whichever team they let him finish up with. 

• He had 325 PA between two teams in 2017.
  • He then had 308 PA with just Oregon St. in 2018.
  • Thus far in 2019 he's had 309 PA between OSU, GCL, and Aberdeen.

It'll be interesting to see how far he gets this season. Could he get 350-400 PA? We'll see.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:30 AM, DirtyBird said:

I'd assume they use the spots on guys who are closer to the majors/trying to win spots on major league and 40 man rosters.

I do not think rookie leaguers are eligible. I think taxi squad dips as low as A ball.

The only thing I will say about Rutchsman's first 15 minor league games is that I'm not concerned overall, but I am surprised at his lack of production. Really strange to see him struggle against what should be competition he should be pretty good against. 

Saying that, I'm not worried because the talent is there and sometimes guys just don't readjust well that first half of a professional season, but I'm starting to see why it took the Orioles so long to get him into action because he still looks pretty rusty after the layoff. 

On the other hand, Andrew Vaughn is already in High A ball and is slashing .273/.379/.455/.834 in his fist seven games there. Obviously nothing can be assessed after 15 games, but it's a little disappointing to see him struggle early on when the organization and fans really need a guy to bank on. 

The good news is his BB-K ratio is 6-7 and I've seen him make some loud outs, so hopefully it's not too far away.

JJ Abrams (6th overall) slashed 401./442./662/1.104 in AZ rookie ball at 18. He's been moved up to Low-A already.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The only thing I will say about Rutchsman's first 15 minor league games is that I'm not concerned overall, but I am surprised at his lack of production. Really strange to see him struggle against what should be competition he should be pretty good against

Saying that, I'm not worried because the talent is there and sometimes guys just don't readjust well that first half of a professional season, but I'm starting to see why it took the Orioles so long to get him into action because he still looks pretty rusty after the layoff. 

On the other hand, Andrew Vaughn is already in High A ball and is slashing .273/.379/.455/.834 in his fist seven games there. Obviously nothing can be assessed after 15 games, but it's a little disappointing to see him struggle early on when the organization and fans really need a guy to bank on. 

The good news is his BB-K ratio is 6-7 and I've seen him make some loud outs, so hopefully it's not too far away.

JJ Abrams (6th overall) slashed 401./442./662/1.104 in AZ rookie ball at 18. He's been moved up to Low-A already.

JJ Abrams was the guy I and two other OH'ers voted for. In addition to that impressive line he was using his plus plus speed to steal almost a base every game. I hate the idea of a catcher at 1-1, and if Abrams turns out to be a stud game changing SS/CF it will really regret that he is not an Oriole

4 hours ago, weams said:

I do not think rookie leaguers are eligible. I think taxi squad dips as low as A ball.

According to Baseball America:

"Clubs will also now be able to nominate any player in their organization to play in the AFL. In the past, only one player below Double-A was allowed per major league organization. Players with more than one year of major league service time were also previously not allowed."

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not worried about Adley.  The guy has hit everywhere he’s been the last 2 years, both at Oregon State and for Team USA.  Every player transitions differently into pro ball, and Adley has more on his plate than your typical draft pick.  Let’s not discount the fact that he had a bout of mononucleosis after getting drafted, which I’m sure sapped a lot of his energy, so he’s probably still working his way back to full strength while simultaneously learning a pitching staff and adjusting to pro pitching.  Adley didn’t just suddenly forget how to hit.  I have a feeling we’ll see the real Adley next year once he has a full offseason to rest, get back to full strength and prepare for the rigors of full season baseball.  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

JJ Abrams was the guy I and two other OH'ers voted for. In addition to that impressive line he was using his plus plus speed to steal almost a base every game. I hate the idea of a catcher at 1-1, and if Abrams turns out to be a stud game changing SS/CF it will really regret that he is not an Oriole

Chipper Jones put up a .229/.321/.271 line his first year in the minors and Derek Jeter hit .210/.311/.314 line in his first professional season. Obviously those guys were never able to never recover from their slow starts to their careers and became massive busts for their teams.